What ya working on?

billonthefarm

15 hours ago, oleman said:

I would be afraid to work in a shop that clean, I wouldn't want to spoil the ambiance.

Must be nice to have a real working area!

I built it way too small. More equipment mean less space. I thought 28X42 would be fine. It's clear span and well insulated. I'm thinking of eliminating the inside stairs to the second floor and building an external set which would clear up some space (and keep me from using the stairs as shelves).

25 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

The grain vac is having a little problem today. 

IMG_0454.thumb.jpeg.c1fecf0c6b436a6eab80d538a66053de.jpeg

We moved ash at power plants with pneumatic conveyors (very abrasive) . We found rubber held up very well on ate out elbows, with a heavy tin topper for support. 

• Like 1

Live power shaft stripped our of v the pressure plate and shaft was gone also.  I was thinking of taking it somewhere until my son said, that's a huge job, we can't do it!  It took me a  couple weeks just working a little here and there on it.  I think he learned allot from helping but more from you can do anything you set your mind to.  Now just put the loader back on.KIMG1313.thumb.JPG.2073fc851c85628f43f1bf087384428c.JPGKIMG1320.thumb.JPG.cad971592581d02ed515f462dd7f4957.JPG

• Like 11

Been a work in progress but kind of finished up the engine swap in 9030 bidi today. We have to find a side panel set for the right side they didn’t come with. We also will have to take a day next spring and straighten out the radiator support so hood and side panels fit right. All that’s left is getting some warning lights and to replace radio that I burnt out.

32EB81DB-80FE-442F-B9E9-36D86C23B690.jpeg

9CC1F688-852B-44FB-B4D6-D21B33838D34.jpeg

• Like 8

A former employee, a very young guy, is trying to do some farming on his own. His old 1460 caught on fire while he was roading it today. It’s in tough shape. His dad passed away and he doesn’t have much of any help. The return fuel line broke causing a dusty, oily mess in the engine. We got her cleaned off and back going. No damage to anything. 

IMG_0461.thumb.jpeg.0ea9f56404305a73bd11c7b21d1e360b.jpeg

• Like 8

Making fishing lures, lots of them. This is my winter gig.

IMG_9406.thumb.jpeg.64a8a7e6f1ad153af32bca9cc080cacb.jpeg

I load up the truck and go to the Midwest to sport shows in January and February.  Seven shows in eight weeks. Lots of miles but pretty fun.

72343067311__6D9A6B1F-81E5-41A0-9948-D59DE4B35FD8.thumb.jpeg.a59e3efbb767e382ea6a8b20b8e8707f.jpeg

I sell hay as it goes out but in November and December I pour/build fishing lures for the shows.  Start with a bare hook, pour the lead, powder coat the paint and hand tie the skirts.  If it’s made of lead, I probably have the mold to make the lure.

IMG_8009.thumb.jpeg.3927d60ae4dbb8856403b6426d9742e0.jpeg

This is what my booth typically looks like at a show. I make more lures at the table during the shows and make custom colors for people if they want.  So the farm projects get put on hold through the winter and it’s fun to see friends and family once a year too. 

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

Back to the tree removal on the property line/fence row. The fan belt decided to let loose and the old 580d was boiling when I got it shut down. Didn’t get any pictures of the over heating, but I took a few while working on it. Going to be a 2 man job to get the new belt on.

8FFAF6AE-6AF8-45BA-98B4-04A935223501.jpeg

C01856E7-D26F-44A5-82B9-0EFF3E8D06BB.jpeg

6A59DEF3-79D8-4BE5-94C0-CA206EC12806.jpeg

• Sad 4

Not much tonight. Replaced s headlight in wife's 2013 edge. Wasn't too bad. 400 started missing over the weekend. Pulled the cap and rotor the other nite and cleaned the contacts for now. It helped. 

• Like 4

Spline went out on the drive coupler of my diesel 1835B. Needed new crosses in the U joints bad too. Drilled the new spline yoke for a sort of grease hole. Not very accessible when installed but better than nothing. The OEM service procedure to R and R this coupling is absolutely hilariously over complicated. They would have you take about half the machine apart and move the hydro pumps ahead. Infinitely easier to move the engine back . .   

D0B93E77-5208-4BD7-90A3-A86B177C881B.jpeg

E18C9E56-DD0A-42BE-B7F7-AA70327235D4.jpeg

14FA7766-E0C0-42F2-82D3-EDE0F69632EB.jpeg

• Like 7

Installed a bifold door on a new shop for a diary. Install the post and welded the header to it yesterday. Went back this morning and they had the door in place so I welded the hinges to the header in a bucket on a telehandler, beats using a ladder.

shop door.JPG

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Finney said:

Installed a bifold door on a new shop for a diary. Install the post and welded the header to it yesterday. Went back this morning and they had the door in place so I welded the hinges to the header in a bucket on a telehandler, beats using a ladder.

shop door.JPG

Redesigning an old building? 

Making a new drive up to a shed at my uncles place had a bunch of topsoil stripped off. Several truck loads had it all on my garden. I spread it with the old Gehl 4610. Brought things much closer to level and got some great topsoil also.  Being in a corner I can only work it one direction which drags the soil out over time. I brought the low corner up by 12-15” I’d say. No lasers or transits, just the old eyeball. 

8BFC84EF-5773-47A9-8985-97919EB2F108.jpeg

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Making a new drive up to a shed at my uncles place had a bunch of topsoil stripped off. Several truck loads had it all on my garden. I spread it with the old Gehl 4610. Brought things much closer to level and got some great topsoil also.  Being in a corner I can only work it one direction which drags the soil out over time. I brought the low corner up by 12-15” I’d say. No lasers or transits, just the old eyeball. 

8BFC84EF-5773-47A9-8985-97919EB2F108.jpeg

You must have been calibrated recently?

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

You must have been calibrated recently?

Luckily I’ve become so used to the current economic “stimulus” packages that it didn’t even hurt…..

• Haha 4

After yesterday's battle I may not do much. One of the ball joints on the 93 k3500 was loose. So put all in was the plan. At 211k it still had riveted ball joints on one side. The top one came out just fine. The bottom one came out 4 hours later. 

Not made for 8 hours of down on my knees on concrete anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Got a new light switch for the Farmall C want to get the tractors charging system working . Then the lights . Then the ground . Then the starter .Then the oil leaks around the engine , What my goals are !

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

After yesterday's battle I may not do much. One of the ball joints on the 93 k3500 was loose. So put all in was the plan. At 211k it still had riveted ball joints on one side. The top one came out just fine. The bottom one came out 4 hours later. 

Not made for 8 hours of down on my knees on concrete anymore. 

Good pair of knee pads!! My knees kill me anymore when I get down to do anything. Or a low roll around seat. Got both depending on the job.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

Good pair of knee pads!! My knees kill me anymore when I get down to do anything. Or a low roll around seat. Got both depending on the job.

Lower back and stiff hands are the problem. Maybe one of the Rightous Brothers.  Arthur 😀

• Haha 3

IMG_2111.thumb.JPG.8174ffcde90e198deb56eb668a3b293d.JPG

IMG_2119.thumb.JPG.28025d51be3be2ba52c1621da8f8ce78.JPG

I have been building this "4 stroke swap" snowmobile as time and parts availability allow.  I had the engine and chassis sitting around and took a notion to make something.  The engine is a 270cc/9hp, I took the governor out, installed heavier valve springs and a bigger carb from a 420cc, that carb didn't work out and put the stock carb back.  Got to drive it a little and proved that it would work, prooved the concept, worth more investment. Decided on switching to a Mikuni carb, biggest reason to favour the Mikuni is the ease of having a reliable throttle cable with return spring. 

The first test drive was good enough to warrant rerouting the exhaust from blasting at you.  The exhaust isn't complete at this point, but seems to work well, pretty close to it's final version with the addition of a tail/exit pipe and some mounting points.  These small engines like free flowing exhaust but that can be loud, so I made my own muffler.  I made several cuts in 4 inches of a 1.5 exhaust pipe with a sawzall to make a "louvered" pipe, welded a machinery bushing at the end of the louvers as an end cap or spacer, then welded a 2.5 pipe onto the machinery bushing, filled the gap with steel wool, an entire package of it, packed it tight with a hammer and straight prybar, welded another machinery bushing in the other end

I haven't made the Mikuni work perfect yet, the intake flange I got for a 28mm Mikuni on a 270cc bolts on but the port on the head side is much bigger than the intake port of the head, the carb side is too big for the 28mm as well.  To make the carb fit the intake hose I wrapped electrical tape around the hose barb portion of the carb to make up the difference.  Driving it around the carb wanted to fall out sometimes, not ideal but acceptable in this stage of development, because of the reliable operation of the throttle via cable it was possible to hold the carb in the boot with my left hand.  

I was able to get a top speed of 32 km/h on a GPS speedometer app.  I'm pretty excited.  I plan to make a better fitting adapter for my carb next and move forward from there

• Like 6

I took this Timken bearing out of a combine today. I put it in maybe three years ago. It was made in Turkey and is apparently junk like everything else you can buy now. I took the original bearing out of this machine that lasted 15 years. Now they last two or three. They are nothing more than an expensive, low quality fire hazard. 

IMG_0470.thumb.jpeg.208c886fbc163cc27cf0d281196f6423.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2