He runs like a scalded dog

660 driver

20230121_164919.thumb.jpg.c7bbe2000259409aa8f3e04c9ea8ac55.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

Had one new just like it. More mph than pretty much most of the current offerings these days. 

The old sleds spank the new ones. The 98 thundercat still holds the top speed record for a factory sled. 123mph. The new thundercat is lucky to hit 110 and it is the current fastest sled. My 97 zrt 600 used to hand 800 twins their rears on a platter from dig up to 90 and most of the time 100mph.

The 03 F7 was the fastest,  out of the crate sled in 03! The chain case was still helping that! When they went to the Diamond drive in 04, a lot of people noticed right away, they were slower. Not much slower, but enough to notice! I was working at a Cat dealership by late 03, early 04, and that was a complaint for many 04 F7 owners! Their new 04 was being beat by their friends 03.

The last sled I had was a Ski Doo 9700 Blizzard Plus. (long time ago, early 80's?)

Considering I was a complete noob, I thought it was pretty fast. 

With the snow we got this year, my son bought himself an Arctic Cat and wants me to get another one so we can go coyote hunting together. 

831545118_ArcticCat.thumb.jpg.ce19ea3ddb65f83824e28c099ea3a1f7.jpg

I been looking but have no idea what is what anymore.

I wonder who was the first one to scald a dog.  Just something to think about.  The mental image is interesting.

That white sled above I believe is a ‘98.  That design started in 98 anyway, and went away on the zr models in ‘00.

I agree on the d.drive firecats.    No bueno.  Ordering an R (Reverse) or was it…..(Racing) and swapping out the 9t drivers for 03 10t’s fixed that. I put the same drivers under my ‘13,16,18 800s

50 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

That white sled above I believe is a ‘98.  That design started in 98 anyway, and went away on the zr models in ‘00.

I agree on the d.drive firecats.    No bueno.  Ordering an R (Reverse) or was it…..(Racing) and swapping out the 9t drivers for 03 10t’s fixed that. I put the same drivers under my ‘13,16,18 800s

I think he said it was a 99

Gave a thousand for it but said it runs out pretty good. 

I'm just looking for something reasonable priced and dependable, doesn't have to be fast. 

Thing is we can't count on snow like we are having this year so it will not be rode like you guys do. 

5 hours ago, sandhiller said:

The last sled I had was a Ski Doo 9700 Blizzard Plus. (long time ago, early 80's?)

Considering I was a complete noob, I thought it was pretty fast. 

With the snow we got this year, my son bought himself an Arctic Cat and wants me to get another one so we can go coyote hunting together. 

831545118_ArcticCat.thumb.jpg.ce19ea3ddb65f83824e28c099ea3a1f7.jpg

I been looking but have no idea what is what anymore.

If i were you i would get a 500 or 600 efi sled. Cat had the best efi system in the late 80's and into the late 90's. Batteryless unless you wanted electric start but with an efi sled it aint necessary. I would try n get one with reverse if i were you. My 1st choice is arctic cat but in a 5 or 600 they all made good ones.

5 hours ago, sandhiller said:

19 minutes ago, 660 driver said:

If i were you i would get a 500 or 600 efi sled. Cat had the best efi system in the late 80's and into the late 90's. Batteryless unless you wanted electric start but with an efi sled it aint necessary. I would try n get one with reverse if i were you. My 1st choice is arctic cat but in a 5 or 600 they all made good ones.

Thank you for the info.

I am looking at a few including a Mountain Cat 600, 600 ZL and 600 ZR.

Appreciate the knowledge!

Just now, Farmall1066 said:

Those are 3 good sleds!! I agree on efi sleds! A lot less maintenance! 

Dammit guys, the wife is going to mad at you for encouraging me😄

• Haha 1

Efi started “battery less” in ‘98, with sleds that look like that white one.  I bought a green and a black one that year, and my buddy bought a white one. There was a 97 built 580zr that was actually the first without a battery, but it was only on that one specific model. It was green….and I had that baby too.

A mountain cat/zr/zl would all be essentially the same sled. Same basic driveline anyway.  Good sleds. I’d buy whatever one looks to be in the best condition.  

• Thanks 1

I had a 95 ZR580 EFI with a battery, a buddy bought a 95 ZR580  carbureator, I always got better mileage with the EFI. Both of us rode just as hard or just as easy, whatever. Another buddy bought a 96 ZR580 carb and he always got the best mileage when all 3 of us were riding. In 97 I bought a EXT 600 triple and I always got the best mileage and they couldn't keep up with me. Had lots of fun. I still have an 05 Sabrecat 500, but don't ride much anymore. Had it out a couple of weeks ago though.

DWF

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I think he said it was a 99

Gave a thousand for it but said it runs out pretty good. 

I'm just looking for something reasonable priced and dependable, doesn't have to be fast. 

Thing is we can't count on snow like we are having this year so it will not be rode like you guys do. 

Too bad your not closer. I need to start selling some of my sleds lol. I can't seem to ride more than 1 sled at a time and for some reason I keep buying lol. Their not cats though lol

• Like 1