Barn find

Kind of a long story. My dad drove truck for over 30 years and found tractors along his route that he would buy and restore and it’s our winter hobby when we’re not farming (all IH obviously!)Last march one of the guys he used to deliver to said he was finally ready to sell a 826 he had been storing for someone for over 30 years and they sold it to him. We make it up to his place to check the tractor out and it is a 826 diesel, gear drive with one hydraulic remote serial number 13705. After seeing the serial number we immediately open the cab door to find a black dash. Now we are extremely excited! 

The owner being a Deere fan had no interest in it and wanted it gone from his shed for the space. We struck a deal and traded some John Deere pedal tractors we had and some cash and I drove it home march of 2022. 

Once home we began to take the hinicker cab off to make it more comfortable. Next the sheet metal came off and we were a little disheartened. All red paint! We sanded and searched but could not find a stitch of gold anywhere. So we put it back together and mended some wiring and used it to drill some soybeans in the spring. Summer she pulled 4/16s #70 plow beautifully when we plowed the wheat stubble down. Fall her time was spent chopping corn stalks and odd jobs that popped up. 

Once the farm work was done we decided we were gonna go through it and make sure everything was ready for paint. Mechanically it needed just a new water pump but other than that everything worked including the TA which was a surprise!

Fast forward to today and we finally found a tiny bit of gold under some rubber that was put under the cowling piece for noise. We couldn’t believe what we finally hoped to find!! I believe after it was done being a demo and taken back to the dealer someone purchased it and while being repainted the cab was added because the rubber and the glue used to hold the rubber down is over the gold. No clue for sure as all the original owners family have passed on. 

As of now the chassis is painted and we’re waiting for less rain to roll that into a different barn and start on the sheet metal. Once finished she’ll go to shows, parades, and tractor pulls but she’ll still be used around the farm as it was made for. Hopefully I can figure out how to add pics and show this beauty off. Thanks for reading

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My dad does the painting he has more patients than I do haha. The stickers we were going to try and duplicate to how they came new but after searching we decided to leave them alone as they were original. We try to keep every tractor as original as we can and do the same with all our restorations 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 5:46 PM, ChaseIH said:

Kind of a long story. My dad drove truck for over 30 years and found tractors along his route that he would buy and restore and it’s our winter hobby when we’re not farming (all IH obviously!)

Well I just figured out who you are. Your Dad and Grandpa and a bunch of their friends used to come up here often buying tractors from me. Your Dad told me you guys bought one. and has sent pics only the resto

if that gold is as hard as yellow to paint  it was a chore. As  usual your Dads painting came out nice.  Do you have a 720 plow to go behind it, That combo would be very sharp! 

I looked everywhere for a nice pic I have of your Grandpa's Binder in your avatar. but I did find one of him holding you when you were about 6 months🙂 I hope your Grandpa is well

I almost bought an 826 last fall, maybe if its still there you need another  LOL

chase8.jpg

• Like 6

Dad has been asking if you have commented yet haha grandpa is doing well and will be 83 this year and still stubborn as ever. Won’t stop and still splitting his own wood for the shop and house.

We plowed with the 826 before we painted it and had a #70 4/16s behind it to give her a good workout and then she went on the #60 IH stalk shedder in the fall. we do have a 540 4/16s semi mount I’d like to put behind it to go with my 560 six bottom and 550. Dad hasn’t decided on adding any weight yet but if he does I have a 700 5/16 I’d like to put behind it to. 

Ive heard plenty of stories about their trips north and am jealous I was to little and we would have brought many more things home haha hope everything is well!!

• Like 1

I seldom check the projects section.

You sure aren't too small to come up now. Load those old retired dudes up and come over. What do you need if I don't have it I will find it ;) I think I have more friends in Hemlock than my local town👍

This 720 plow is for sale locally for a reasonable price. Nothing would look nicer painted up behind that Goldie

720PLO.webp

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, hillman said:

I seldom check the projects section.

You sure aren't too small to come up now. Load those old retired dudes up and come over. What do you need if I don't have it I will find it ;) I think I have more friends in Hemlock than my local town👍

This 720 plow is for sale locally for a reasonable price. Nothing would look nicer painted up behind that Goldie

720PLO.webp

Would look neat if the spring covers were gold to match the tractor....

• Like 2

Sounds like we need to hook the binder on the lowboy and head north😁 Grandpa is always down for a road trip and we talked about heading your way today on the way to a consignment sale. Missed out on a H today I needed for parts but there will be more. That plow would be perfect behind the 826! You’ll have to come down if possible when we plow down the wheat stubble and I’ll set you up with whatever you want haha

• Like 2

Your Grandpa let my nephew who was about 15 at the time ( 2001?) drive his Super MD in the "parade" at the show in Oakley My brother still talks about how kind he thought that was, Nephew was walking tall that day

• Like 4