Little after Christmas present to myself. 4th grade dream realized

B.B.

14 hours ago, B.B. said:

Picked up a new Ruger Super Wrangler to go with my original Wrangler.  :)

IMG_20230713_160419766.jpg

We need a range report! I've looked at the supers pretty hard lately, just can't pull the trigger on one. They're so new, no one has really talked about how they perform. 

Mac

32 minutes ago, MacAR said:

We need a range report! I've looked at the supers pretty hard lately, just can't pull the trigger on one. They're so new, no one has really talked about how they perform. 

Mac

I've been really happy with the Wrangler.  I'll let y'all know on the Super but I'm confident it will be just fine.   I'm a 22 mag fan so I had to have one! 

• Like 2

On 1/1/2023 at 4:20 PM, B.B. said:

My best friend got a 629 in stainless 20plus years ago I think for his 18th birthday I've always been a bit envious.   Wouldn't mind to pick one of them up at some point but on my way department the anaconda was more desirable even if it does cost quite a bit more.  

Same store had a SW in 500 smith for the same money.   Tempting is what it is, but I'd never be able to afford to shoot it nor want the recoil.  

There's more springs in a Colt then there are pieces in a Smith?

But the Colt is butter smooth? 

I’ve had the itch for a Ruger Bearcat, shopkeeper in stainless. Hard to beat a .22 revolver and a Ruger .22 revolver is as tough as anything out there. 

• Like 2

On 3/6/2023 at 6:46 PM, MacAR said:

Always wanted one, but they stay just out of my price range. The knock off 1911s are no comparison to the real McCoy.

Mac

The 1911 is a favorite, I haven’t tried any of the modern “alternative” manufacturers, but have intimate familiarity with shooting a Springfield, Colt, Ruger, Kimber, and a Remington. All of them have been excellent. I even was impressed with the seeming quality of a Norinco I transferred for a guy. 
I have routinely complained about a Llama I had that was utterly unreliable, was happy to see it go. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacAR said:

Mac

I see no reason to doubt them, Ruger has yet to put out a piece of junk that I have seen, they have all the internals of a single 6 with an easier to manufacture and applied finish chassis making them less expensive to manufacture. Surely not a showpiece, but I have faith in them being a solid performer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

I’ve had the itch for a Ruger Bearcat, shopkeeper in stainless. Hard to beat a .22 revolver and a Ruger .22 revolver is as tough as anything out there. 

As I've only had .22 rifles, I'm curious what would be the reason for having a .22 revolver? Even a 9mm seems underpowered these days.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

As I've only had .22 rifles, I'm curious what would be the reason for having a .22 revolver? Even a 9mm seems underpowered these days.

Fun, i use them to dispatch critters I have caught, shoot mice, the occasional squirrel.

• Like 1

Also i can carry one on my person easily while doing chores around, on off tractor etc, not as accurate as a rifle, but you miss every shot you don’t take and I can’t take one if I don’t have a gun.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

They are fun and at VT said they are useful.  For 200 or 250 bucks if you scratch it up actually carrying it and using it it doesn't matter.   

In my mind a 22 single action revolver is also a great tool to use to teach a new shooter the basics.   I've had the opportunity to teach new shooters several times and I always start here and then when they are more comfortable switch to a Browning Buckmark.   Then move on from their.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

A great entry handgun to teach or learn with for less investment and less recoil. Wonderful for teaching women and children that might become “Gun shy” (pun intended) with a larger, louder, or rougher handgun. 
     Personally I pack one around hunting small game in the case of a jam on my .22 rifle. Same ammo I was already packing and a revolver will fire more reliably as a whole than a semi-auto. I don’t trap much but when I have I pack a .22 revolver solely. They are normally more accurate than the person shooting them.  
     I do not think of a .22 as much for a personal protection tool as I do a Swiss Army knife capable of doing many things. With that said, I do not have bears or your apex predators where I live and hunt that would merely be angered by a .22 bullet.  If you really want some fun bump up to a .22mag from the .22LR. Some revolvers like the Ruger Single Six can be purchased with a cylinder for each caliber making it convertible for far less than two guns in different calibers. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Was it at Daves?

No a buddy and I bought two through CMP. 

Dave had one though but was about _

$2200 we got our gor $1450

4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Surely not a showpiece, but I have faith in them being a solid performer. 

That's very true. A few years ago, when the Wrangler first came out, I bought one. It shot ok, but it just really didn't tickle me with the fixed sights and 22 LR only cylinder. Not long after buying the Wrangler I found a Single Six from 1976 that has both cylinders, and while it ain't a beauty queen, it's nice enough I hate to carry it around the farm. The Super Wrangler with the 22 mag cylinder would make a great farm gun, I'm thinking. A guy really wouldn't care if he scratched it or banged the grips up like he would a nicer handgun. I may yet try one when they get into the shops around here and I can handle one in person. 

Mac

2 hours ago, B.B. said:

Don't guess you guys would want to see the IH built M1 Garand I picked up a few weeks ago? 

Of course we do! What kind of question is that?!?!?! 🤣

Ya know, we have a garden thread and a dog thread, but I think somebody needs to start a Red Power Gun Thread so we can share all our gun photos. Most of us a gun guys anyhow. Might be fun, or maybe not? 

Mac

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, B.B. said:

No a buddy and I bought two through CMP. 

Dave had one though but was about _

$2200 we got our gor $1450

That’s a sweet deal!

2 minutes ago, MacAR said:

That's very true. A few years ago, when the Wrangler first came out, I bought one. It shot ok, but it just really didn't tickle me with the fixed sights and 22 LR only cylinder. Not long after buying the Wrangler I found a Single Six from 1976 that has both cylinders, and while it ain't a beauty queen, it's nice enough I hate to carry it around the farm. The Super Wrangler with the 22 mag cylinder would make a great farm gun, I'm thinking. A guy really wouldn't care if he scratched it or banged the grips up like he would a nicer handgun. I may yet try one when they get into the shops around here and I can handle one in person. 

Mac

Mac....in 1972  when I came back from my first visit to the US...a ''Single Six'' with both cylinders   , migrated back to NZ with me....

Never again, would I be so bold or plain bloody stupid as to do that ..but''we'' made it thru customs that day, without incident

,,,almost a hanging offense to be caught in NZ with such a lethal   piece of ordinance...

...still have the purchase receipt    $49.00   US        Pomona  Gun Shop   LA

Mike

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

As I've only had .22 rifles, I'm curious what would be the reason for having a .22 revolver

As my age grows and vision fades my single six twin cylinder has become my favorite gun for off hand shooting. The shape and balance fit mope like a glove . I have been able to achieve surprising accuracy from the hip with that little jewel. I also have a very similar hog leg style H&R 22 LR that I picked up as an orphan  in the used gun counter .  I think it was < $100 fifteen years ago, looked like new. The hog leg design is so comfortable. I have some big autos around for protection, but none feel quite as  at home in my hand .

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 2:38 PM, MacAR said:

Of course we do! What kind of question is that?!?!?! 🤣

Mac

It's from CMP.   Came with a new stock and barrel. Expert grade I think they call it.   I've not shot it yet but I did find some ammo albiet very spendy :(

This too was a bucket list gun 

IMG_20230718_164239637.jpg

IMG_20230718_164331193.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, B.B. said:

It's from CMP.   Came with a new stock and barrel. Expert grade I think they call it.   I've not shot it yet but I did find some ammo albiet very spendy :(

This too was a bucket list gun 

IMG_20230718_164239637.jpg

IMG_20230718_164331193.jpg

C0115C99-9813-4A1E-8985-D720D82D93E4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/15/2023 at 5:41 PM, B.B. said:

Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle in .45 showed up a couple weeks ago.   Some assembly required.  

IMG_20231002_163322747.jpg

Ooh. Please document the build... If it's got an exposed hammer or an octagon barrel, I want one. What is the twist and length on the barrel?