towing charges?

pt756

the reason we got a tow truck is our usual grader guy if you look back at posts back in winter of 21, he had his leg amputated, came back after about 4 months seemed ok till recently, about sept, or oct, he had a sore on the other foot that wouldnt heal, so in early  nov. they cut that one off, so our township sits without an operator and it seems you cant move on till he gets a chance to see if he can do the job, we were warned about american with disabilities, so in the meantime its been part time  , now a really super nice kind of retired farm guy, use to drive years ago, now he is about 83 or 84, looks like he still 65, is driving and is he happy, got something to do, a purpose, so he was the one that cut the corner short, the usual guy with the duoble amputees is thinking he is going to be able to drive again.

I contacted a repair shop to replace a leaking  rear axle seal on our Bus converted to an RV. Automatic and air brakes.  They wanted to have a local heavy hauler move it 2 miles from the storage area to their shop. Would only add $475. to the bill because the bus weighs 25,000#  and has to have the drive shaft pulled and an AIR OR SPRING COMPRESSOR line run for the emergency brake release.  WE STILL HAVE THE LEAKING REAR AXLE SEAL, BECAUSE i CANCELLED THE JOB.  Local slant deck hauler charged my $225. to move our F350 (no brakes) 25 miles  off the freeway and to my driveway, good price because he was coming home anyway. MD Freightliner.  That was before we bought a trailer.  

5 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Part of the reason why they cost so much. 

8F41AD99-5C85-4AF0-8B95-F2D88EF60BF4.jpeg

FCB405A5-BFDB-44AB-9AF0-C092514DB57C.jpeg

699379F2-B8EE-4BDE-A048-25264F6A1FCB.jpeg

4808A784-4B8A-4336-96DE-95EFE890A6F6.jpeg

When a dicey situation turns bad.  That is a shame.

13 hours ago, 1566Hog said:

On a different note, I had a friend about a month ago pulling doubles, and crossed a railroad track with the last trailer not clearing before the locomotive came through. Broke the rear trailer in half. He was loaded with granular fertilizer.

I don’t  know the situation here, but why was your friend crossing the tracks with a train coming, especially with dual trailers?    It’s not like the train came out of nowhere, they leave tracks wherever they go.

My dad worked on the railroad for over 42 years.  He saw plenty of stuff like this and worse.  I guess after hearing some of his stories, I wonder why anyone tries to beat a train.

sorry for the hi-jack.

17 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Part of the reason why they cost so much. 

8F41AD99-5C85-4AF0-8B95-F2D88EF60BF4.jpeg

FCB405A5-BFDB-44AB-9AF0-C092514DB57C.jpeg

699379F2-B8EE-4BDE-A048-25264F6A1FCB.jpeg

4808A784-4B8A-4336-96DE-95EFE890A6F6.jpeg

That is where you pull it out backwards, top heavy and leaning, you definitely hook onto the part that is trying to roll amd pull it back down. Pulled out a lot of stuff, never rolled anything, every situation is different. Hurrying in the heat of the moment usually doesnt end well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mudfly said:

I don’t  know the situation here, but why was your friend crossing the tracks with a train coming, especially with dual trailers?    It’s not like the train came out of nowhere, they leave tracks wherever they go.

My dad worked on the railroad for over 42 years.  He saw plenty of stuff like this and worse.  I guess after hearing some of his stories, I wonder why anyone tries to beat a train.

sorry for the hi-jack.

Crossing didn’t have lights or gates. Trains usually run 60mph through there. My friend was definitely at fault. No doubt about it. There is a highway running parallel with the tracks. He claims he was looking for highway traffic upon approaching the tracks. There was a stop sign at the tracks too, which he ignored as well. The conductor told me that my friend “had the look of the fear of God in his eyes” when he finally looked up and saw the locomotives headlight in his driver’s side window. Needless to say, he lost his job that afternoon. 

01290E83-B9E3-4B43-8575-D1A0EC12AA94.jpeg

1F3FA4A7-C654-4DC1-8302-ECBA05351528.jpeg

B212D679-9447-44EF-B8B9-B56DFFBE80F6.jpeg This happened to dad last year around this time. He pulled into a quarry he had never been in to unload and there were no tracks to follow. Heavy snow and everything white he couldn’t tell where he was at in the yard.

The guy in the red flannel was the loader driver and was feeling bad but this wasn’t on him. As for the wrecker cost, I don’t know for sure but they usually charge us around 500 when we need them out.  We started pulling with a cat loader and that’s the outcome.  Called a wrecker and he sucked it right out with ease. Trying to save a few bucks ended up costing more in the end. 
  On the bright side it couldn’t have happened to a better truck. It was an issue since he bought it with emissions junk. It spent more time in the shop than his 2000 model w9 with 2 million miles on it. The Volvo was totaled and he replaced it with a 98 Pete 379. 

• Like 2

There must have been more damage than the picture shows, although it is a Volvo.  Plastic front ends never seem to fare well, whether it’s a car or a truck.  Gotta love a 379 Pete with a tow hook up front. 

• Like 1

Around 1995 I was helping a friend who had a crane service. 

One day he got a call to assist a local tow service for an overturned tractor  and trailer out on the interstate.

At the time, the tow truck operator had some tandem axle  wreckers,  but nothing huge.

My friend and I took the 75 ton hydraulic crane to the accident, set up the crane, picked the trailer and truck, then packed up.  Took about 4 hours total.

Friend hands the tow truck  owner a bill for $800, tow truck guy takes the bill, adds another zero to the figure on the bill, and hands it to the driver.

Not ten years later towing company had six rotators, biggest one  cost almost a million. He was not afraid to charge.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

There must have been more damage than the picture shows, although it is a Volvo.  Plastic front ends never seem to fare well, whether it’s a car or a truck.  Gotta love a 379 Pete with a tow hook up front. 

Don’t remember what all was damaged in the front end but it got the radiator. Think it was a 2012 model so it had a little age on it and a truck like that cost a little less than a Pete or kw when new but give it 10 years and it’s value is way less. I know you know that to.  It also twisted the frame a little and I think that was the deciding factor. 
  When I was in front of my pot a couple years ago I was having some engine issues on a load out of Georgia and normally I’d get back close to home and we’d swap trucks but I couldn’t trust the Volvo. My engine problems were more dependable than a Volvo on a Georgia to ft lupton Co run with cattle. And he didn’t have any known issues at the time. 

Last I heard petroff towing out of Collinsville IL was around $1500/hr for a 100 ton rotator. They charge from the time they get the call till the truck shuts off back at their yard. Have heard of 6 figure tow bills more than once. Last one was a few years ago. Farmer got an excavator stuck in a creek. Recovery bill was about 5 times the cost of the machine but the epa fines to leave it for dry weather were 5 times the tow bill. Took 3 big wreckers and 3 D8's to get it out

On 12/21/2022 at 9:23 AM, nomorejohndeere said:

There is a fellow on ACMOC that does train wreck stuff

Has yeller side boom cats and heavy lifting equipment to do so

He sometimes posts up pics and juicy details

Have a cousin, a BIL and several friends who work for Union Pacific here and R.J. Corman is the company who handles all derailments and accidents around here. My cousin says they charge $30,000 just for the phone call

• Sad 1

As per the Volvo I got roped into a incident that could of ended that way about 15 years ago. The driver was useless, the owner of the wine press was clueless. The property owner had made roads that looked good to a city girl. When the pad was cut for the building on the one side a sloped 6 to 10 foot drop. The field workers drove pickups and ATV's up and down all the time.  Ten o'clock or a bit latter one night I get a call from another neighbor doing his best to not get sucked into the ongoing mess.  He knew I had old D6 Cat 500 yards from all the trouble. I get there and the the drive has the flat trailer high centered. Get hooked on me and pull me up.

I explained the fact of live as I saw it, I can rip your truck to pieces. It was a heavy steel flat bed over 40 feet but must of been less than 50 with really good rub rails. I pulled off the rub rail, very gentility because I did not see it working. Finally let me pull it all back wards,  and showed them a different path to get where they wanted to go.

After unloading they thought they could, go off the same bank that stopped them coming up. Still brain dead.😵 Once off the building pad I took what cash a 100 or 2 and made sure I got out ahead of them. Not a sensible access but I had seen a lot of truck up and down the main driveway. The trucker managed to run over several trees he had missed on the way up on the switchback. More to piss the the property owner off at neighbor renting space in her new wine making building.  

On 12/22/2022 at 11:29 PM, 1466IH said:

Last I heard petroff towing out of Collinsville IL was around $1500/hr for a 100 ton rotator. They charge from the time they get the call till the truck shuts off back at their yard. Have heard of 6 figure tow bills more than once. Last one was a few years ago. Farmer got an excavator stuck in a creek. Recovery bill was about 5 times the cost of the machine but the epa fines to leave it for dry weather were 5 times the tow bill. Took 3 big wreckers and 3 D8's to get it out

The good Ole days they used dynamite