Prayer request

Sledgehammer

12 minutes ago, JaredT said:

I can't imagine what the family is going through. I can't wait for the breakthrough day that things are really looking up. Is there anything they need? Any chance there is a go fund me or something to help with expenses? Travelling to and from hospital and wear and tear on a vehicle can really add up. We will keep praying here. 

I agree! I am all for helping, with whatever they need! 

Prayers continuing from ECMN! 🙏🏻

• Like 1

I don't know Zach or Emily. I've been praying for their family since I first read about this here. Seeing a picture of the family has just made it so much more real for me.

Gentlemen, hug your kids. Kiss your wives. Thank the man above for what he has given us.

Prayers for the family and those taking care of Zach. Thank you to the friends and neighbors helping them as well.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting that, Seth.  I've been wanting to see the family.  Good lookin' bunch.

Here's Zach's news of the day:

January 16, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach  7 minutes ago

Good news for the day is we are able to visibly see Zach swallow. This is an important reflex that has to be strong to move toward independent breathing so we are very happy about this. 

The unfortunate thing is that it seems to have brought more feeling and discomfort with the actual trach. I can’t imagine how that feels but I think he is handling it better than I would… 

We are hoping for a restful night but because of several delays through day it looks like he will be making a middle of the night trip down to get a fairly routine CT to evaluate lungs and be sure no infection is hanging on. 

We are so hopeful to see continued progress and even a more rapid progression of improvements and pray specifically for that. 

Thank you for praying with and for us. 
We continue to pray hard for independent breathing, nerve regeneration, return of movement/function of all muscles, complete healing, and physical and mental strength. 

And- as the kids always add- home. We pray for dad to be home. 

Thank you. 

• Thanks 6

January 17, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach  31 minutes ago

Zach did seem to sleep better last night despite the CT. 

No significant change but I think all things he has started moving in last couple days seem a little stronger today. 

We are seeing a little bit of that heart rate variation again but they were able to do breathing trial for about 5 minutes today. 

Looking forward to what tomorrow will bring and hopefully for continued steps forward each day. 

Please continue to pray for independent breathing, nerve regeneration, full and fast recovery, and physician and mental strength. 

Thank you. 

• Thanks 7

January 18, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach  4 minutes ago

Today was a stable day. 

No new area of movement to report but I do think his facial movement is better today. From our limited understanding of this process- that is pretty typical. The movement in an area comes back, but not to normal initially, then over time it is more refined. I feel we are seeing more of those subtle refinements which would tell me things are still progressing. 

The waiting is hard. But I’d rather wait with our current situation than do the waiting we were doing 6 weeks ago.  

I remain optimistic that some of the vital changes we are seeing are a precursor to/process of nerves waking up that will help with breathing. 

We are thankful for all the support around us. I am reminded as I pass others in the hospital that not all are as lucky as us. Some people are in situations with little to no help with all the other areas of life that are upheaved when these types of things come up. 
We are thankful for staff that have been really invested the past day and a half. 
We are thankful for the improvements we have seen and the ability to look ahead to better days. 

Please continue to pray with us for not only  full recovery, but expedited progress. We pray for independent breathing and better communication for Zach.  We pray for progress, movement, physical and mental strength through the process. 

Thank you. 

• Thanks 8

January 20, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach  16 minutes ago

As I transitioned home Thursday I I reflected on how I used to think our lives were so busy. In many ways they were but I guess we always have room for a little more when we need. We just re-prioritize. Multiple random things have happened in addition to Zach being sick the last 6 weeks. Things that would have normally caused me to upheave my day. In the midst of the current situation they were hardly even a blip on the radar.  It is amazing what perspective and circumstance can do to reframe our scenario. I can certainly say those things that have come up are easier to handle because of people who came/offered to help. But the reality is- those friends would have helped if I called even if not in this situation.  But honestly, I probably wouldn’t have called.  I would have tried to fix it myself first- leading to the upheaval of the day. 

Making room for all the extra right now is really only possible with the support from the friends, family, and community around us and we are thankful to everyone who is helping and adding more to their plates/schedules so ours stay  manageable. It’s a lesson in humility and hard to learn/accept but also what life is really about. I’m learning by being forced to now be on the other side of the fence- receiving and not only giving- how the humanity and community take both parts - as hard as that is to accept, we don’t get to choose where we are, just how we handle it I guess. 

Overall- stable day Thursday. Zach was “over breathing” the machine a few times that I caught/noticed and that is a good sign.  I’ll take all those little hints breathing (and then speech/normal talking) are coming back. 

He has been very tired the last few days and I like to think that’s because lots of healing is going on, wearing him out. 

We continue to pray in thanksgiving for the support of friends, family, community, the resilience of our kids, for their good friends, teachers, and caretakers for supporting and loving them when we aren’t there, for medical staff who are invested, and for restful nights of sleep for Zach. 
We pray and ask for complete healing, independent breathing, nerve regeneration, stable vitals, avoidance of any secondary problems/infections, and physical and mental strength. 

Thank you. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

I have always liked Zach. He is/was always open to advice ( yet I am not sure he needed any) and he works his as$ off

And then theres Emily! my God she is amazing Zach must get so much strength with her at his bedside. 

• Like 6

January 20, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach  22 minutes ago

No real updates today. 

No visible changes but still hopeful lots going on below the surface so to speak. 

Thank you for your continued prayers and support.
Our prayers for independent breathing, nerve regeneration, quick return of movement and function, avoidance of any secondary problems, and physical and mental strength continue. 
We appreciate you praying with us. 

• Thanks 5

January 21, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach  2 hours ago

Today was a good day overall. 

We were able to get approval and the kids visited for a while this morning. It is bittersweet, but I am glad we were able to get them in. 

Zach was able to do the breathing trial for 20 minutes today and we are planning to try longer tomorrow. 

We hope for good sleep tonight as that does seem to facilitate success. 

Multiple staff have commented today how surprised they are/how much better they feel his head movement is. 

It’s good to know we are still holding our own day to day at minimum and mostly seeing gains, although small. 

I still search for some sign that the healing is more widespread than we can see.  I am hoping that as we are able to communicate easier - when independent breathing/ability to speak are back- he will be able to explain in his words what he feels to help us understand what’s maybe healing or coming. I am not sure there’s any real predictability but I do think it would help ease my mind. 

We pray hard daily. We are thankful for the support we have encountered. We are thankful for our family and friends. We are thankful for the signs of healing we see. We are thankful for our ability to approach God in prayer and request his help. We pray for complete healing (at sonic speed- as Caleb said today).  We pray for independent breathing, nerve regeneration and movement, physical and mental strength. We pray for our kids. We pray for all those helping us. We pray for safe travel. We pray for good staff to be paired with us. And mostly- we pray to have Zach home, restored. 

Thank you. 

• Thanks 8

January 22, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach  12 minutes ago

Today was a pretty good day. 

We did the breathing trial again and this time did 30 minutes- there’s a lot that goes into this and bottom line is things aren’t “awake” enough to let him breathe on his own but this is more than he has been able to do previously so it’s proof things are moving forward. 

We have certain RT’s who get creative and let Zach “work” even though the numbers aren’t perfect and we are grateful. 

Zach seems to be feeling some quivering in areas he tries to move and although we can’t see anything that localization is reassuring to me. 

Time marches on and we march with it. We pray those nerves are marching on too- to full rejuvenation. 

We are so thankful for our family, friends. People who reach out with such genuine concern for us and our family. It is not lost on us that our problem is not the only problem and the time/effort people take to give support to our family continues to be so humbling. 

We are thankful for our kids and their resilience. We are thankful they have each other, cousins, good friends, and a good base of faith to lean into to make sense of this thing we can not give them an explanation for. 

We pray for Zach and his complete healing. We pray for awakening of all nerves. We pray for independent breathing, muscle return and reflexes to support this to full independence. We pray for functional movement in all areas and full return to his baseline (and at sonic speed). We pray for avoidance of any secondary problems or issues. We pray for physical and mental strength. 

thank you. 

• Thanks 5

I never had much great interactions with Zach on here, I still consider myself a newbie here after a couple years. However I find I am coming back to this page for each and every update and continue to pray for his recovery and strength for his family. 
For those of you who are closer if you have any conversations with Emily please pass on to her how much these daily updates are appreciated. I can’t imagine how hard it is for her to go through this but to take the time each day to update us really shows her character. 

• Like 9

Prayers a full recovery ❤️🩹 

• Like 2

Good news:

January 23, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach  9 hours ago

The breathing trials went well today. 

Zach is feeling more sensation than what we can appreciate/see but we are optimistic about this. 

The typical odds or research would say we are in for a long road so we continue to prepare for that but also have deep faith to say God can defy these odds. And/ we pray he does. 

We are thankful for friends and family that show up when we need them. For strength that seemingly appears when we felt empty the minute before. For the reserve in our kids we always hoped to build for them but now see they possess. 

We pray for complete healing. We pray for restoration of independent breathing. We pray for nerve regeneration. We pray for organized and noticeable, reproducible muscle movements, full functional return, and physical and mental strength. 

Thank you for praying with us

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I always look for the updates every day. I want to thank you to Steve C. and all the others that post  Emily's update's.     Emily if you see this I want to THANK YOU very much for taking the time out of your busy day to keep us imformed and to know that you and Zach  and family are in my thoughts and prayers daily.        Thanks and prayers.

• Like 6

January 24, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach  4 minutes ago

Today’s breathing trial was the longest by a long shot. 2 1/2 hours and then later in the day another 50 minutes. 

He seems to have more neck strength today too. 

We started another round of IVIG today, first dose is finishing up now. 

We are so thankful for the progress today. We are grateful for the support we have, the family and friends who selflessly step in. We are thankful for the kids’ resilience and tenacity. We are thankful for the invested staff here. 

We continue to pray for Zach’s recovery. We pray for independent breathing and restoration of reflexes and muscle function to support and accelerate that. We pray for full body nerve regeneration, full functional movement, complete healing at sonic speed. We pray for physical and mental strength.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5