Jump to content

Prayer request


Sledgehammer

Recommended Posts

Just now, zleinenbach said:

 

awful kind words I love you

OK, so talk to text has the hiccups as well   I could not have done it without her or the support of everyone else. Still a long way to go, but she is a rock I can lean on.

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always thought highly of you Zack cuz you are one of the good guys. Emily has shared her inner /private thoughts with us at such a difficult time . She is wonderful and I am glad you had her to get you through this. Hopefully soon you will be on your feet and back to normal 

Keep fighting

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh man. Today has been a high-high and a low-low for me and for my family. You have no idea how much severely needed joy it brought me to see from you here as I close out my day!

Keep putting in the good work. You and your wife are an inspiration and I'm glad to know you.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2023 at 2:53 PM, hardtail said:

So glad you are back home, can't imagine what you've been through, you made a heck of a great choice selecting your bride 😁 you have all been quite an inspiration to us all

Nice to know that when they agreed to stay together "in sickness and in health", that they meant it.  Evidently many people don't.

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/2/2023 at 4:44 PM, hillman said:

I always thought highly of you Zack cuz you are one of the good guys. Emily has shared her inner /private thoughts with us at such a difficult time . She is wonderful and I am glad you had her to get you through this. Hopefully soon you will be on your feet and back to normal 

Keep fighting

you should say your bar higher on my account lol. Oh and Emily you are spot on. I have to get better due to the contract. I signed with Perdue Farms two weeks before this happened. The turkeys keep coming it will all work out. I am 100% sure of it. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Nice to know that when they agreed to stay together "in sickness and in health", that they meant it.  Evidently many people don't.

she is too young to have to put up with his stuff she had to do down there. I’m thankful she did it.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, zleinenbach said:

she is too young to have to put up with his stuff she had to do down there. I’m thankful she did it.

I'll bet you'd have done it for her.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, KWRB said:

Oh man. Today has been a high-high and a low-low for me and for my family. You have no idea how much severely needed joy it brought me to see from you here as I close out my day!

Keep putting in the good work. You and your wife are an inspiration and I'm glad to know you.

you can call anytime you need someone to yell at. I am available nearly 100% of the time currently lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Steve C. said:

I'll bet you'd have done it for her.

I would have tried that’s for sure. But for her to juggle her job and the kids house, the farm insurance financial and then my staff in the hospital all I can say is I am very fortunate to have someone so tenacious and knowledgable

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't posted  very often but your determination is awesome.  Many in this day and age would have simply given up.  But you did have a good cheering section in your corner.  My prayers have been with you the whole journey and will continue for some time.  God Speed!

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was wondering if the turkeys had arrived before this happened, glad to hear that is still running smoothly, now you can see first hand what they're like, my Dad doesn't seem to hold them in high regard but that was a lifetime ago and nothing on the scale you have going on, dumb seems to be a recurring theme when the subject comes up 🤔

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, hardtail said:

I was wondering if the turkeys had arrived before this happened, glad to hear that is still running smoothly, now you can see first hand what they're like, my Dad doesn't seem to hold them in high regard but that was a lifetime ago and nothing on the scale you have going on, dumb seems to be a recurring theme when the subject comes up 🤔

The only thing dumber than a turkey is the farmer growing them, lol. I was very fortunate that the best man in my weddin and her first cousin, have turkey experience and kept it rolling along during this time. I would have been up a creek without him.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

July 11, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach — 3 hours ago

Time is flying by and I have recently been gently reminded I haven’t posted an update in 2 weeks… :)

 

Coming home was a good step on a long hard road. It has helped to close the door on constant inputs from sources you can’t control or turn away. It has given back freedom of home and going outside whenever we want and not just in between scheduled tasks. It has cut down on driving! And it has opened the door to the next phase of our journey.

 

Coming home has been a blessing but it hasn’t been easy. Being fully transparent it may be the hardest part so far. That is hard to explain because there is so much good about being home and together. 

But there is also this hardened reality that this is our current life. There is something so defining about having to readjust your home to accommodate medical equipment. To map out a parking lot in order to find the best spot to use a wheelchair ramp. To make decisions on participating in normal day to day events outside our home based on the simplest things that now take incredible logistics management. Providing care in a hospital setting feels very different than to give care and assist with tasks of normal life to your spouse in your own home. It feels like accepting it to come home and do these things. But we know Zach will continue to heal. And although this is temporary, it is not defined. It’s an open ended challenge- which is so hard to deal with. We continue to work to accept where we are today, face the day with realistic expectations, and yet not accept anything but full recovery at the end of this grueling marathon. GBS is def and endurance “sport”, you just have to keep digging, battling, hanging on. 

 

Zach is going stir crazy looking at all he wants to do or that the kids are up to and not be able to just jump in and “do”. July is a busy month even when Zach isn’t sick and he is struggling to sit on the sidelines as much or more as I am struggling to keep it all in motion. 

 

Every phase changes the lens of reality and before you can adjust it shifts again. So much in the last 7 months just sneaks up on you. You think you have it figured out and then as you look left you are hit from the right. We are happy to be home as Zach recovers but there is still a certain level of grieving the life you wanted to be living in these days, weeks, months. Some days are harder than others. But looking back a week or a month helps to reinforce that we are still making progress. 

 

Zach has had all evaluations and is now doing outpatient therapy 3 days a week. We have a “program” we have put together we are doing at home too. There are positive changes although putting that into words to describe the exact movements is difficult. There is still no functional movement against gravity.. but certain movements seem close. 

 

We pray in thanks for the progress seen up to this point, for being home together, for the laughter of our kids, for the ability to laugh at each other in the midst of very trying days/moments. We are thankful for my aunts and sister and mom helping keep Zach home while I am at work. We are grateful for the support of family and friends continuing to help us keep life moving at a time we are so “stuck”, we are thankful for nights that bring good rest, and for coffee on all the mornings following ones that don’t. 

 

We continue to pray for complete healing, avoidance of secondary infections/issues, daily assurances and progress. We pray for arm strength and hand/finger movement. We pray for functional movements and independent activity. We pray for leg strength, quad/ankle/toe movement. We pray for continued strength gains in speech and respiratory status to return to baseline. We pray for safe travel. We pray for the kids as they now get a front row seat to this ugly disease and continue to rise to the challenge of overcoming mentally what many adults would struggle through.

 

 

thank you.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank God that kids raised right are tough.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

August 8, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach  22 minutes ago

Life at home has been busy… but we wanted to update for anyone still following along. 

Zach is gaining strength. There are changes we notice but still waiting on more function. Explaining this comeback is very difficult. His movement and strength is coming back proximal to distal (trunk out to extremities). He has movement and decent strength through shoulders, initiation and movement in biceps and triceps, rotation in forearms, wrists. He has good strength to build from in hips and in upper legs. 


What we really think would lead to more function would be grip strength, hand movement, and the ability to lock his knees/stabilize legs. We continue to pray hard for advancing strength and movement, function, and daily assurances. 


This is a hard road. We cling to the promise of recovery but we fear the unknown. We are grateful for the strength and any and all gains but would will admit we are getting frustrated with the feeling of being on the verge but not cresting the hill. 
Any of you that know Zach know being home and seeing what he wants to do and not being able to do it chips away at him. Asking for help with a job that should take 3 people was hard for him… now to need help with daily activities… it’s devastating. From a few steps back it would seem like you would just settle in, get used to it, and look to future and hope and relish in every new movement or flicker of movement. 

But how do you ever accept this level of dependency without changing your entire core? Or worse, losing your dignity all together? We haven’t found a way. We don’t want to accept where we are. We want to continue to change what we can… and we wish it was coming faster. And there doesn’t seem to be much grey zone in between the choice to accept a new lifestyle and the choice to continue to resist accepting and continue to work to hold onto our life as we have always known it and our plan to return to it. 
We know other people have struggles far more daunting than ours.  We empathize better to that now than ever before. We appreciate that our kids do too. It’s a life lesson you can’t teach with words and you would never wish teaching with experience… but if you are in it, you accept that silver lining for what it is. 
We accept that we are in a season of bad consequences. We accept the work in front of us. We are learning to accept the help and support around us. 

But… we are working to discern for ourselves and kids the difference between the above and accepting/ becoming victimized by our consequences - which we won’t do. There are days it is so tempting to fold under that, but it’s a short term solution to a long term problem. If we sat back and allowed things to happen to us from December to now, I cringe to think of where we would be. We can not control the current but we can certainly keep our head up above the waves this circumstance keeps rushing in. 

We are so grateful for the help. Those who pile into this dreadful trench with us- in the day to day grind of this thing that most people would run away from. 

We pray for strength to carry us as we continue to fight and wait- and oxymoron that perfectly explains guillian barre recovery. We pray for grip strength, hand movement, leg strength, and ability to stabilize legs in standing (lock knees). 

Thank you. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Steve C. said:

August 8, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach  22 minutes ago

Life at home has been busy… but we wanted to update for anyone still following along. 

Zach is gaining strength. There are changes we notice but still waiting on more function. Explaining this comeback is very difficult. His movement and strength is coming back proximal to distal (trunk out to extremities). He has movement and decent strength through shoulders, initiation and movement in biceps and triceps, rotation in forearms, wrists. He has good strength to build from in hips and in upper legs. 


What we really think would lead to more function would be grip strength, hand movement, and the ability to lock his knees/stabilize legs. We continue to pray hard for advancing strength and movement, function, and daily assurances. 


This is a hard road. We cling to the promise of recovery but we fear the unknown. We are grateful for the strength and any and all gains but would will admit we are getting frustrated with the feeling of being on the verge but not cresting the hill. 
Any of you that know Zach know being home and seeing what he wants to do and not being able to do it chips away at him. Asking for help with a job that should take 3 people was hard for him… now to need help with daily activities… it’s devastating. From a few steps back it would seem like you would just settle in, get used to it, and look to future and hope and relish in every new movement or flicker of movement. 

But how do you ever accept this level of dependency without changing your entire core? Or worse, losing your dignity all together? We haven’t found a way. We don’t want to accept where we are. We want to continue to change what we can… and we wish it was coming faster. And there doesn’t seem to be much grey zone in between the choice to accept a new lifestyle and the choice to continue to resist accepting and continue to work to hold onto our life as we have always known it and our plan to return to it. 
We know other people have struggles far more daunting than ours.  We empathize better to that now than ever before. We appreciate that our kids do too. It’s a life lesson you can’t teach with words and you would never wish teaching with experience… but if you are in it, you accept that silver lining for what it is. 
We accept that we are in a season of bad consequences. We accept the work in front of us. We are learning to accept the help and support around us. 

But… we are working to discern for ourselves and kids the difference between the above and accepting/ becoming victimized by our consequences - which we won’t do. There are days it is so tempting to fold under that, but it’s a short term solution to a long term problem. If we sat back and allowed things to happen to us from December to now, I cringe to think of where we would be. We can not control the current but we can certainly keep our head up above the waves this circumstance keeps rushing in. 

We are so grateful for the help. Those who pile into this dreadful trench with us- in the day to day grind of this thing that most people would run away from. 

We pray for strength to carry us as we continue to fight and wait- and oxymoron that perfectly explains guillian barre recovery. We pray for grip strength, hand movement, leg strength, and ability to stabilize legs in standing (lock knees). 

Thank you. 

I don't know that a simple "like" is an adequate reply, keep up the fight and know that there are so many of us in your corner in this struggle who will do anything we can, no matter how minuscule it may seem, to help you in any way we can.  Keep fighting Zach!!!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for posting this update Steve, hadn't got to my emails yet.

Emily, you say others have struggles far more daunting, maybe. 

And that's a big maybe.

I don't know of anyone that has handled their struggles as well as you and Zach.

Your courage, strength of conviction, positive attitude and faith has, from what I have seen been unwaivering, tireless.

I'm sure there have been dark times, private times, but you have never let it show.

To simply say you are an inspiration seems somehow inadequate.

I am humbled by how easy my life has been.

It is said the Lord never gives you more than you can handle, you are the strongest people I know.

I will offer up prayers for continued strength, faith and steady improvement.

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...