Indeed he did.  Very encouraging.

• Like 5

Praise God for more improvements than usual 

• Like 7

More progress!

January 25, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach  2 minutes ago

Over 4 hours of breathing trial today. 

Will be trying for most of the day tomorrow. Praying for good rest tonight and success tomorrow. 

Zach’s neck movement is better too. What is so odd is that there are still movements that he doesn’t have back in his face. This process continues to be so confusing but we are so so thankful for forward progress and will take the gains in the order they come. 

Today was day 2 of 3 in this round of IVIG. We are hopeful for continued progress. 

Another big win for the day was resolution of an insurance issue that was taking a lot of time to work through and a lot of stress to think about. I was so thankful for that phone call and all the people who allowed me to run things past them, review the issues, and brainstorm ways to work through. 

I can tell that the breathing easing up has brought a new energy to Zach. I can‘t imagine his relief to not have to work for each breath and know we are getting closer to independent breathing and his ability to communicate better. 

We pray in thanksgiving for the gains of today, the support of those around us, and the ability to hope for and look to positive progress. 

We continue to pray for Zach’s full recovery. We pray for success in the breathing trial tomorrow, we pray for continued gains- facial movement, fully independent breathing, reflexes needed, and nerve regeneration/movement body wide. We pray for complete healing with timing that defies the odds, physical and mental strength. 

Thank you. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

January 27, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach  7 hours ago

Thursday- Zach went just over 5 hours on the breathing trial. Blood has looked pretty good with that but there was concern he was getting tired so decided to stop for day and continue momentum tomorrow. 

The fatigue from the IVIG seems to be kicking in today. Today was the last day in this course. 

We are so encouraged by the progress but still pray hard we continue in this rally back. We pray in thanksgiving for the improvements we have seen, support we feel, and access to care we have. 
We ask in prayer for Zach’s full healing. For strengthening of nerves and muscle movements needed for fully independent breathing, for continued improvements with facial nerve. We pray for independent breathing and better communication. We pray for overall body healing, nerve regeneration, and  quick recovery of full function and return home. 

Side note- 

last night I posted a picture/quote I liked to Facebook - paraphrased it says that when life knocks you down with unexpected circumstances you will get back up.

Not that you can or could but that you will. Because staying down you risk losing part of yourself. 

Over this course I have had a lot of people comment about strength. Appreciated words. But I truly think that quote sums it up. There is more pain long term in sitting in the circumstance and letting yourself get lost in it than there is in the initial pain of getting up when you get knocked down. Because once you’re up, you are rewarded by knowing you made a step today, even if it’s just one step. And then when you string all those really slow monotonous forced steps together - you start to get somewhere. And the more distance you put between the “knocking down” and the place you are- the more strength/power you have to overcome it. 

A devotional reading I had today talked about expecting resistance when you are doing God’s work or working to live in faith… That essentially when you are faced with unfortunate circumstances often resulting from  God’s permissive will - you are at the most vulnerable to temptation/devils work.  And if the devil knows you are overcoming your circumstance he will undoubtedly try to sabotage the situation.  
Knowing/expecting this, in my opinion, puts you back in a position of power over your situation, you can be on the offensive - fending off temptations  and/or  instead see them coming and dodge them or even  “retaliate” by doubling down in faith/prayer. 

Long winded.. and maybe I should have just said the frozen movie got it right in that song “you are lost, hope is gone, but you must go on and do the next right thing” (if you look it up it will be in your head all day- fair warning)… but my point is- I think anyone would do what I/we are doing in this situation. And I think I’m just very fortunate to have great support and strong family and friends and I truly hope anyone else facing problems does too. 

Thank you. 

• Thanks 7

Deep but good, imagine something like this allows a lot of soul searching and obviously this is a positive on the spiritual side and big scheme of things, continued prayers from the north!

• Like 2

January 27, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach  43 minutes ago

The IVIG seems to be causing Zach to be more tired today. We have had this with other rounds too. 

He did 3 1/2 hours of weaning today. We are thankful to at least be in the process . 

We continue to pray hard for tangible progress. We are thankful for signs of being in the upswing- a place we can work and not only wait. We pray that this continues and improves. 

We are continually thankfully to our family, friends, community. We are thankful for our kids’ resilience. We are thankful for the opportunities and reassurance of faith. 

We pray for independent breathing. We pray for return of typical conversation. We pray for full body nerve healing and functional muscle movement. We pray for an expedited recovery and we pray for Zach to be home… and back to ‘Zach’.  We pray for physical and mental strength. And we pray for safe travel. 

thank you. 

• Thanks 6

That must be weird being trapped in there for this long not having auto breathing, movement or speech, great wife, family and friends, can't wait to hear Zach again, hopefully very soon

• Like 3

A very tough road they are on. 

Emily's strength and positive attitude is inspirational. 

I am sure Zach is fighting hard on the inside and each day comes closer to being back to his old self. 

Hope and pray for continued and accelerated improvement. 

• Like 5

January 28, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach  12 minutes ago

Zach beat his record with over 5 1/2 hours in the weaning trial today. 

Overall things are otherwise stable. 
Please continue to pray for full weaning from ventilatory support,  independent breathing, full body healing, nerve regeneration, and functional movement. We pray for return to home and all being together again. We pray that God defies the odds/timing and this all happens quickly. 

We are thankful for the support around us. We appreciate the prayers. 

thank you. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

53 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

Sounds like a good day!!🙏🏻

Great news.  Substantial progress.

• Like 2

January 29, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach  2 minutes ago

4 hours in breathing trial today. 

We realize we don’t have all the muscles moving we need to completely wean but the fact that he can sustain for these long periods is good and good exercise for those that are working/moving. 

We are thankful for that ability. 

We continue to pray for progress. We pray hard for healing. We pray for independent breathing and then speech/normal communication. 

We pray for full body nerve healing and rejuvenation. We pray for functional movement and return to home - and all in sonic speed (which Caleb still adds to the end of his prayers). 

We pray for safe travel, signs and assurances we are on the right path, making the right decisions. We pray in thanksgiving for the support of our family and friends. 

thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

January 30, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach  9 minutes ago

5 1/2 hours of the breathing trial today. 

It seems like movements he has gotten back are stronger. 

We continue to be grateful for support, prayers, and messages. We are grateful for those that have and continue to step in- often in ways we don’t even know- to keep things moving in our ‘normal’ life. 

We pray for complete healing. 
We pray for independent breathing, return of normal communication and  recovery of movement/reflexes to support and maintain this. 
We pray for nerve regeneration and healing body wide and recovery of functional movement so that we may capitalize on rehab time once we reach independent breathing. 
We pray for return to home and then back to “life” at sonic speed.

We pray for both physical and mental strength and we pray for invested staff. 

We pray for the ability to get to rehab soon  and “get to work” remembering we may be the builders but God is the architect. We are  anxious to put things into motion. 

Thank you. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

To have to work so hard at something that I take for granted, breathing. 

I will pray for continued strength and improvement in all areas believing they all interact. 

Also continued strength and resolve for Emily and all attending to Zach to bring him back to complete health. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

To have to work so hard at something that I take for granted, breathing. 

I will pray for continued strength and improvement in all areas believing they all interact. 

Also continued strength and resolve for Emily and all attending to Zach to bring him back to complete health. 

X2 No other words could say it better. 🙏🙏

• Like 2

January 31, 2023

Journal Entry by Emily Leinenbach  9 minutes ago

Solid work today. 
8 hours on breathing trial. 
There also seems to be some subtle shoulder movement. 

Toward the end of the 8 hours there were signs he was wearing out but wouldn’t let them switch him back until he hit the 8 hour mark. 

Praying for good rest tonight and continued progress tomorrow. 

We are thankful for safe travel. We are thankful for today’s progress. We are so thankful for all the help and support from family and friends. 

We continue to pray for complete healing. We pray for independent breathing, return of “normal” communication, we pray for return of reflexes and muscle movement to protect that progress. 
We pray for full body nerve regeneration and functional muscle movement - and at sonic speed. We pray that we see improvements that allow time with intense rehab to be optimized. 
We pray for physical and mental strength. 

Thank you. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4