barn paint

pinesman

Anybody ever painted a crawler with barn paint? I have a '55 TD-9 wgich is red with a yellow engine, yellow rops and yellow root rake. I have done a lot of vehicle painting over the years and I know this certainly isn't the best idea, but I am going to spray some barns this weekend and I thought I would spray the dozer too. At least it would be all one color. This is a working machine- not a show-piece. Any ideas?

kb

Anybody ever painted a crawler with barn paint?  I have a '55 TD-9 wgich is red with a yellow engine, yellow rops and yellow root rake.  I have done a lot of vehicle painting over the years and I know this certainly isn't the best idea, but I am going to spray some barns this weekend and I thought I would spray the dozer too.  At least it would be all one color.  This is a working machine- not a show-piece.  Any ideas?

kb

Most barn paint is flat, chaulking type paint. It is also very thick, and usually a cheap grade of paint. I wouldn't do it myself!

Hello Pinesman, I agree with Raleigh & would not do that

You may someday decide to paint it the right way & what a job that would

be to then remove it.

Gilligan

This is latex paint with a high gloss finish. Again, I know it isn't the right way. I just thought while I had the sprayer out, I could get it all the same color.

I did a fender on a Parts Scout I have with black laquer fence paint made by Lexington paint company. I was painting the board fence right by where it was parked and thought i'd see what happened. I rolled it on and it dried with a nice even matte black finish. 2 years later, I decided to fix the Scout up and use it to plow snow around the farm. I sanded that fender right along with the rest and shot a coat of epoxy primer over it. Then a coat of JD construction yellow to cover the primer and it was good to go, around the farm at least. I tried to buy some more of the laquer based paint, but tractor supply doesn't carry it any more, only latex. I can't say how that would do. Here is a pic of the Scout, the drivers side front fender is the one with the black fence paint undercoat.

post-2315-1141856866_thumb.jpg

Archived