2022/2023 snowmobile pics

poor farmer/logger

Well there hasn’t been much on the go here lately. Done a little bit of riding close to home but nothing to exciting. Little bit of excitement today for me at least. A decent deal came along that my brain said not to pass up. Pocket book argued that fact a little though lol. It’s feeling a little lonely tonight lol. Traded off my 2015 viper on a 2022 sidewinder that was spring ordered in 2021 but didn’t show up till last March. Guy that had it only put 90 kms on it. Ended up trading it off on a 2023 with power steering. Dealer gave me pretty good money for my old one so that helped a lot. They sure haven’t gotten any cheaper though. Hopefully get some good rides in this winter.  Pic of the new ride. 2022 sidewinder xtx. 146”x2” track.  Should be pretty fun in the deep snow hopefully. F9279BB3-ED77-4ABB-81D2-DB0A4C2F1391.thumb.jpeg.a283c8614d2de843c40bc7b2f0a455aa.jpeg8ECB6F31-9742-4FC7-8D06-30ECF37CF6D7.jpeg.03b5b798ef558337892be226df5949fe.jpeg

Anyone else been out riding yet? Trails are just barely starting to open up here now. Groomers are doing what they can but there’s no frost so they’re struggling.  Hudson Bay has a crazy amount of snow  already. They’ve got snow cars out trying to push the frost down into the swamps.  Been a few sketchy trips I’m sure. So far haven’t heard of anyone sinking any yet though. Prince Albert club crossed the river with their small groomer the other day. Thought that was pretty crazy. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Nice!!!

Looks Mean it will be a lot of fun

I just have to keep a voice of reason in the back of my head so I don’t get myself in trouble. This one gets to 100 mph a lot quicker then the old one lol.  Easy enough to overdrive it in tight trails if you’re not paying attention. 

11 minutes ago, Binderoid said:

What is a new sled going for nowadays?

Quite a bit but less then a side by side.  Not enough snow here to warrant any sort of snow mobile. 

Nice sled! I'm sure you'll like it. There's a couple that I know of out here and guys seem to like them. I see a few tracks around here but not really enough snow yet. I also haven't dug any of mine out yet, and now that it's -30 I'm not overly enthusiastic about it either 😂

I heard Hudson Bay/ Swan River areas got a pile of snow and is nice riding right now. I was hoping to do a weekend up that way before Christmas but I don't think it will happen

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Binderoid said:

What is a new sled going for nowadays?

I priced a brand new one and it came out to just shy of 27,000 cdn with all the tax.  Thankfully I didn’t have to pay that much although still more then I really wanted to. My viper had almost 10,000 kms on it though and my fear was used sleds are going to drop next year a lot when all the people from the Covid years that bought them up at inflated prices decide to sell them and go south where its warm in the winter again.  I could get good money out of it now and the dealer had a fair price on the used one consider the mileage and warranty so I emptied out my wallet lol. Like I said before though doesn’t matter how you look at the numbers it’s a stupid amount for a snowmobile. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

200 horsepower or so that thing will rip.

Only drove it 2 kms so far down the ditch between the highway and service road. Didn’t want to get a speeding ticket so kept it pretty modest lol.  It definitely pulls hard though. Doesn’t come on quite as hard as you’d think it would but just keeps pulling. Imagine clutching and tuning could really wake it up. For now I’ll just ride it though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, db1486 said:

Nice sled! I'm sure you'll like it. There's a couple that I know of out here and guys seem to like them. I see a few tracks around here but not really enough snow yet. I also haven't dug any of mine out yet, and now that it's -30 I'm not overly enthusiastic about it either 😂

I heard Hudson Bay/ Swan River areas got a pile of snow and is nice riding right now. I was hoping to do a weekend up that way before Christmas but I don't think it will happen

I’m hoping to get back out to Hudson Bay sometime this winter just not sure when. Probably not till late season unless my friend invites me up to go ride again that uses the cabin 40 miles or so north of town. 

Ha i thought about this thread earlier today and was wondering what's new and where the snow is, our crew got 1 good ride in after the blizzards early November, was great riding like poor farmer mentioned no frost under the snow and no base so hit a few rocks but was a good trip overall wish we would of done another before the winds picked up and blew all the snow into my yard rather than the fields 

Looks like a fun sled there poor farmer I've been kind of looking for something different but don't seem to see what i want pop up on the market and the way this winter's going I think I'll hold out till next year like you also mentioned once the rush from covid settles down and people don't want them anymore aswell as interest rates rising, I'm sure what I want will come along soon enough 

as for trails we have ridden around up north an according to the app no trails are open yet, haven't heard much from the further north good soil ridge riders club to see what the snows like around there either 

doesn't look like a whole lot of sledding will take place around here till the new year, forecasting -14ish weather till Christmas and no significant amounts of snow 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I’m hoping to get back out to Hudson Bay sometime this winter just not sure when. Probably not till late season unless my friend invites me up to go ride again that uses the cabin 40 miles or so north of town. 

I'd like to get up that way for 1 ride this winter. Buy we're off to the mountains start of the new year so better see how that goes first lol. Maybe late Jan/ early Feb can go north for a few days.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, stronger800 said:

I like it. 

now throw a 250hp or so tune in it, and you’ll have something lol.  
It will build boost faster an accelerate at just a all different level.  

Then he would have to go chute climbing in the mountains. Point it straight and hang on lol

looks good Ryan......just wondering if you have persisted with the    ''duel fuel  version ''....you know...the one where you can top up with diesel    if '   the regular mix gets a bit low ......it was a very innovative idea.....:rolleyes:

Mike

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, mike newman said:

looks good Ryan......just wondering if you have persisted with the    ''duel fuel  version ''....you know...the one where you can top up with diesel    if '   the regular mix gets a bit low ......it was a very innovative idea.....:rolleyes:

Mike

I should’ve known that was coming😂😂 lol. Big bold letters in the owners manual saying 91 octane only lol. 87 incase of emergency. It might look like my old d7 pushing hard if I add some diesel lol to the mix. It is turbo charged though so maybe a little extra lube wouldn’t hurt🤔 lol. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, db1486 said:

Then he would have to go chute climbing in the mountains. Point it straight and hang on lol

3 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Only if I has a helmet Mohawk (bright color) and a GoPro.  Otherwise, he could just come ride with me 

If I didn’t know any better I’d say you guys were getting sick of my pictures and trying to do away with me with all these performance add ons and high marking talk lol. 

Just a normal run of the mill trail rider that likes to play in the deeper snow too. Never been to the mountains but maybe one of these years I’ll get there. I will admit riding with the throttle stuck to the handle bar  all day would start to get old after a while though too lol.  Not sure how well this sled will do in the deep stuff. Been reading how the intercooler plugs up with snow in the front end and makes it run poorer. Not sure I’ll really notice the performance difference or not though. See quite a few that have that sock stuck out the hood as a cold air intake. See how I make out I guess. Need some powder to have that problem first lol. If I can get in where the wind hasn’t blown I think it will be pretty nice yet.  Need to get to my secret stashes before someone else does I guess lol. 

1 minute ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I should’ve known that was coming😂😂 lol. Big bold letters in the owners manual saying 91 octane only lol. 87 incase of emergency. It might look like my old d7 pushing hard if I add some diesel lol to the mix. It is turbo charged though so maybe a little extra lube wouldn’t hurt🤔 lol. 

Ryan.... I have made more than the odd boo boo     in life.....I guess we have dined out long enough on   your ''experiment ''   When looking at your snow mobile adventures...that little incident always makes me smile.....  Probably best not to mention filling up our neighbours Nuffield   tractor  engine with diesel, either.... through one of two inviting ''caps'' above the bonnet  / hood   line...sigh....the wrong one of course....

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mike newman said:

Ryan.... I have made more than the odd boo boo     in life.....I guess we have dined out long enough on   your ''experiment ''   When looking at your snow mobile adventures...that little incident always makes me smile.....  Probably best not to mention filling up our neighbours Nuffield   tractor  engine with diesel, either.... through one of two inviting ''caps'' above the bonnet  / hood   line...sigh....the wrong one of course....

Mike

It’s all good Mike I have a laugh too whenever anyone brings it up.(you’re not the only one lol) Could always be worse I guess could’ve put gas in my diesel truck that could get a whole lot more expensive lol. 

• Thanks 1

I actually know a guy that put over 3/4 of a tank of gas in his new Duramax pick up a few years ago. He was 60 or 100 miles away from home and he almost made it all the way. The truck burned in entire tank of DEF in that distance. When the low DEF light came in, it’s actually what alerted  him to something being wrong. He called the dealer, dealer told him that happens all the time, fill it up with Diesel and Run It. That was two years ago, he’s had no trouble.

I put 10 gallons I think it was,of diesel into my ‘10 gas pick up myself on accident. I was not at home and had limited options when  I realized it . I filled the tank the rest of the way with gas and ran it. It was fine. It was below zero in the winter too. I was nervous. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stronger800 said:

Worked on my high mileage trail thrasher for the first time this year tonight.  Replaced sno flap and new hyfax.   Need to add the exhaust and get a tune in the tcat next 32172CAA-9D8E-407B-B284-BB3789D5AF80.thumb.jpeg.c24cde41ccd5b4f7196f2528e7f1ebf9.jpegAEB00DA0-1584-49C8-824B-4CCFB6580193.thumb.jpeg.fa7fa0d234ce50af225d57ee5d9f9020.jpeg

also worked on a pto and waxed wheeler tires. 50 decrees. No snow in sight. 

Studs are somewhat rare around here. I won’t say there’s none but the majority don’t it seems. I’ve always been afraid of throwing a stud especially with these higher hp 4 strokes.  We’re fortunate here to almost always have fresh snow on the trails. Typically not a lot of ice except for the springs that drain out across the trails. They get a little hairy at times when you come around a corner and hit one unexpectedly.  Priced out the DuPont sliders for my new sled and wow are they expensive. I have them on my nytro and in the viper I traded. They wear like steel but man have they gone up. 500$ to put a set of sliders on the new one.  I can buy a pile of the cheap ones and cut them to length for that price. 

-25°F as I type this so haven’t even bothered to take mine out of the shop yet. It’s still in the back of my truck to tell you the truth.  Going to try and go for a ride as it sits and figure out what I want to tweak and go from there. Need some kind of baseline to see if I’m making it better or worse. 

Was working on my truck a little this afternoon. Just cleaning it out and detailing it again. Still lots of junk in it from harvest yet. Bearings and spare parts and just misc stuff. Seems I’m always catching up on that little stuff. Never seem to get it all done. Need to do a bunch of oil changes and servicing next. Still waiting on parts for our kioti tractor. No word on a delivery date yet unfortunately. Parts were order 2 weeks ago already. 

Seems like once the vehicle is running it doesn’t effect it as bad with diesel in the gas  the cold start is where I ran into issues on the viper that day  thankfully didn’t hurt the starter or idler gears