Darwin Award. ( mothers children)

dale560

We ended up getting a court order to buy trust owned equipment. This set moms daughter and youngest son over the deep end. The trustee was supposed to take pictures of machinery the day after court. The other two must have talked him into doing it and were taking pictures as they moved equipment to a agreed upon staging area. Here are two pics off my maternal grandfathers 806 he bought new. We have the fenders to make it back right so cab isn’t a big deal. The goobers took all the side  sheet metal off tractors. They had a local well known thief and 2 other dinks helping. Just the pictures they took and turned in are priceless. It was supposed to be staged that shields were stolen way before. If you look closely the international emblem is still on tractor and the picture from a bit later they turned in it is missing. The judge is surely going to just shake his head when they try to explain their way out of this.

11833648-FA41-4F90-8255-92578A9F70FD.png

A23385A6-8AF2-44DD-B973-A2CDE5ADAA2F.png

• Sad 6

6 minutes ago, nc1112 said:

Sorry you have the misfortune of dealing with this kind of mess.  Our family was in a very similar position about 25 years ago. It never ceases to amaze me how spiteful people get in such situations.

This tractor my grandpa bought new. It runs but got overheated and ruined a piston about 15 years ago. It was inside a building until I moved it out to put other stuff inside. I am going to fix it pull the cab off and put the right fenders and platform on it.  Dad had a buddy that was a thief his entire life. That is his skidsteer. This guy would go through implement parking lots and steal toolboxes off tractors, pto shafts off equipment. He stole an 1100 mower head and bar from neighbor. The look you get from him when passing is just sheer hatred he must have been counting his inheritance before it came. The other siblings are just flipping insane also.

• Sad 1

I feel your pain, bad situation! Hope things work out in the long run.

Have been going through this since Mom passed back in January. Had been on my mind how to deal with it for the last five years or so. Having the farming season to get through gave me some time to formulate a plan. What I came up with keeps me in control of the home half of the farm and gives control of the other half to her. She is going to cash rent me her half so no big changes. I compensated her for the more valuable half with the cash assets. Feel very lucky there were enough to pull this off!

We signed the paperwork 11-18.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I have literally seen farms sell before the bodies are cold. 

Unfortunately, that seems to be all too common. I've seen more than one situation where the parents of the farm died, and a year later the children were not even on speaking terms over the inheritance. 

Seems like anymore the biggest threat to a family farm....is the family itself.

Sad. 

Dale, I hope everything works out well for you in the end. I'm guessing this is going to be a long, drawn out affair(most of them are). 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SDman said:

Unfortunately, that seems to be all too common. I've seen more than one situation where the parents of the farm died, and a year later the children were not even on speaking terms over the inheritance. 

Seems like anymore the biggest threat to a family farm....is the family itself.

Sad. 

Dale, I hope everything works out well for you in the end. I'm guessing this is going to be a long, drawn out affair(most of them are). 

it is actually working out pretty well. They hauled out some engines an spare old parts and stuff that were worth about 5000 for scrap but I ended up with all the machinery minus 3 pieces. When we get it off we have all the tractors and vehicles we ever wanted. I have my own line of equipment I use o m so this is all to be sold again minus 4 0r 5 things. The  land and machinery are in irrevocable trust. This was to keep it from being seized back in the early 90s. I am paying 15,000 for trust machinery and am going to put another offer in on few remaining pieces to drive them skyhigh. Trustee has to try and get maximum dollar for everything. The land is staying in trust and the first right of refusal to me and my brother stands. So we have plans in place to acquire land and resell a part if need be.  My mother wanted to the trust revoked but her lawyer is county states attorney so he does the welfare stuff. There is a 350,000 bill for dads nursing home  care that follows mom. So any funny business with trust between the state welfare, income tax, capital gains, trustee fees and closing costs. If my mom were ever to try to revoke trust again she would have no money left , no place to live and no income . Once we found out about the bills and fees that follow her estate we don’t budge an inch. If they throw it out sisters get nothing which is what I would prefer, their lawyers understand my position well.

• Like 3

it is so sad that family's get so dam greedy when there is money involved, they have most of the time a good life but let mom and dad pass and they go bat crap insane, wanting to get every last dime they can steal, and force the sale of everything so one of the kids cant buy any part of it.

i know a couple of farms that were lost this way

On 11/29/2022 at 12:34 PM, Rawleigh99 said:

Family- can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em!

Well you can but 30-life isn't appealing.....but as you get that old life thing? Gets to be shorter and shorter....😉

Rick

• Like 1

I'm sorry for your situation Dale.  Based off what everyone else has said this type of situation sounds almost almost rampant.  We see it here too.  Greed is the devils work.

Sorry to hear about your situation, seems very common. I am a very lucky one who has two great sisters who can be worked with. I moved to the farm a year after Dad passed and manage the place. My sisters live on the east coast and are happy to come to Montana for vacation. I take care of the day to day and farm the land. They don’t charge me for use, they are glad the place is being kept up.

There is some equipment I use but they haven’t pressed me to purchase all at once.  We have a list of equipment of agreed price and as I sell other things off, they get paid. It works for us. I’m able to farm because of the situation we have and I am very grateful for it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Well you can but 30-life isn't appealing.....but as you get that old life thing? Gets to be shorter and shorter....😉

Rick

Move them to Illinois, you’ll be back on the street in a couple of days 

• Haha 2