Farmall 656 engine

sf03499

You have a gear drive and not a hydro, right?

Asssuming you have a gear drive. There should be 2 openings to the flywheel.  One on top where the starter goes in and I believe there is a clutch inspection cover on the bottom of the clutch housing. 

2 hours ago, sf03499 said:

Ya it's a gear drive. If I believe right it should be the cover right in front of the brake pedals that is the inspection plate right

The cover in front of brake pedals is hydraulic filter, the inspection cover is underneath flywheel and its difficult to get a good bite on ring gear there, easiest thru starter hole

• Like 1

Put it in Hi gear, battery unhooked, and push forward on a rear wheel?  Assuming it’s setting on concrete.  
Guys on here seem to pull tractors out of the weeds that have been sitting outside for 20 years and they run. Yours being inside, I’d probably just put a battery in it and turn the key like Lars said 

• Like 1

Only where the starter goes in can you access the flywheel ring gear from above the clutch cover is really hard do do much there look at the oil if its good get a battery hooked up to the starter and crank it over afew times also you can check oil pressure too 

I really hope this works for you.  Leaving an engine open with no oil that long....I'd sure try everything I could think of to get oil back up into everything.   Pul valve cover and drench top with oil, etc.

Dad once rebuilt a engine out of a JD 6600 combine, left it sit over the winter with no oil.   Reinstalled it the next summer - ran for about 10 hours and ate itself.   They told him "You don't let JD engines sit with no oil"..... Hope IH is more forgiving!

If you rebuilt this engine with no assembly lube, then let it sit....take it back apart & start over!

Was it running 9 years ago?  If so, then it’s probably still oily in there same as it was when you put the pan on. You could remove the spark plugs and pour something in each cylinder (wd-40, diesel, oil, little of each….won’t hurt)  then pull the valve cover and if it looks dry, shoot that with lube too.    Pull oil pan drain plug and try to shoot pressurized oil Up at the crank?    I just made that up. Never heard of it or tried it, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t help a little.  

HAs anyone ever tried something like putting a fitting in a pressure port (screw out plug in a galley)  and hooking up something like a porta power pump full of engine oil??    Seems like you could maybe get the engine "reoiled" before cranking it that way.

Yeah, I push in on the belt/pull on the fan too - the 656 is got less clearance than some other models to do that though.