86 series V-8

from H to 80

Friend of mine went to a Wisconsin salvage yard to get some pulling parts. While he was there the guy showed him his extensive collection of IH tractors one of them being an 86 series with a  V-8 that is supposed to be factory stock. I've never heard of one much less seen one,what do you guys think ?

7 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

Friend of mine went to a Wisconsin salvage yard to get some pulling parts. While he was there the guy showed him his extensive collection of IH tractors one of them being an 86 series with a  V-8 that is supposed to be factory stock. I've never heard of one much less seen one,what do you guys think ?

4586 or 4786?  Those had the DV-800.

45 and 4786’s were only factory V-8 86 series

3 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

I’m thinking your friend should have taken a picture if it wasn’t the 4x4.  That being said,  I could see someone cobbling together an 86 series V8 as a “what if” tractor.  Be kinda neat actually 

It would technically be an 88 series .... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

when the 45 came out, the last digit did indeed indicate the number of cylinders, hence it being the 4568. When the 86 came out, they were all just the 86 series, although the small doncaster tractors were the 84 series, most being 4 cylinder, but I think there's a few exceptions there too lol!

12 hours ago, acem said:

So why did the 3388 & 3588 2+2 and later 3088, 3288, 3488, & 3688 all start with 3 even though they were two very different series and end with 8 even though they were 6 cyl???

Because IH abandoned the "last digit is the number of cylinders" thing when they started cranking out 2+2's.

The 00, 50, and 60 series tractors didn't have 0 cylinders, did they?

Ive had a couple conversations with scott. Seen his collection. Hes always done us right but is very opinionated. Looked at an 806 he had for sale before we bought ye turbo 414. Was a nice clean 806. Also bought a rad for the super m from him. That rad is still in use.

12 hours ago, JaredT said:

Ahh, the great questions of the universe. I have a boatload of questions i would like the answer to, but better left to ponder, why and what if and the famous " who designed this so stupidly"?

Why not add a little music to this thread. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

The 00, 50, and 60 series tractors didn't have 0 cylinders, did they?

The 58-63 years the 2nd number was the number of cylinders. 340, 460, 560, 140 etc. 

• Like 1