Red Case tractors

Col Chuck

I have a 3394, bought it with 71xx hours and a noise in the transmission.  I split it, fixed the 2 speed and have since put 800 hours on it. So far it's been a great tractor,  tons of torque,  good on fuel. It's my main tillage tractor. Pulls a 10 or 11 shank chisel plow and a 22' field cultivator, also an 11 shank NH3 bar. Love the 6 speed PS, love the fwa, love the huge cab.

I will for sure buy another if given the chance. 

20221115_122625.jpg

For the few around the area we sure did allot of transmissions.  Salvage yards are very short on transmission parts.

The shops are always full of 1145 case tractors.  The front half here, the rear half there, put them back together to get a 2290.

• Haha 1

I did reply in technical Ih. 
to add to what I posted there. I had a chat with my friend who used to run all case tractors. He probably had around 25 or so over the years. All used for tillage. Hay and highway work. Worst and most damaging problem was hitch over travel. Other than that on the one I bought from him his were relatively trouble free. Engines seemed decent. He said he had a couple of head gasket failures but both tractors were high hours and it’s a pretty easy fix.  He did learn the hard way about leaving power shift in reverse on stationary pto work. But he run it for several hours before he noticed the trans didn’t sound right. When he split it there were a couple of bearings had failed   He got away with it quite lightly. He liked the cabs on them. Other than hitch overtravel he said hydraulics were trouble free if oil and filters were clean.   His 4890 had a few steering problems but he got around it fairly easily. 
He still runs a 970 and a couple of 2290.  Most failures of any tractor seem to be dirty oil and filters and abuse. There will always be a few exceptions that give more trouble. 

• Like 1