best code reader for nephew - his mom wants to get him one for cmas

searcyfarms

my sister is wanting to know what is a good code reader for her son my nephew for cmas - im thinking under the 300 buck range - not that he knows that much about cars or would work on it he just likes techy stuff and to help his mom keep from getting what she thinks is ripped off from any other mechanic LOL 

Cheapest OBD2 reader option is to buy a Bluetooth reader and a cheap android tablet.  Then download Torque Pro. I have way less than $200 into it

It is not intuitive, but you can read and clear codes, check sensor data and information, and even graph sensor readings to watch for intermittent problems or comparison 

• Like 1

The trouble with code readers is that's all they are. They don't provide any live data and pretty much only read OBD II generic codes - no proprietary codes normally used in BCM - Body Control Module and the like. Here's a basic scan tool that's just over your range:

https://www.jbtools.com/autel-mx808-maxicheck-all-system-service-diagnostic-tablet-usa-version/?wi=off&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1ZGcBhCoARIsAGQ0kkq1gz1JlLEKmrEC9KuuIlRxQhFBSE37ml3DDuAv6fkEkrGobLPn00YaAlI-EALw_wcB

Check the Autel site for more info: https://www.auteltech.com/

I have one of their older DIY tools that will do some basic tests, reset BMW brake life, do some auto brake bleeding, etc. When my Tech2 no longer will do it for me I'll likely buy a professional Autel tool to replace it.

If you just want to read codes and do very limited troubleshooting one of the phone apps as mentioned above will work. There are forums where the merits of different companies tools are debated.

• Like 1

I did a lot of reading before buying. I have Innova 5510. I need to operate the ABS module on some brake jobs I get into, and this came highly reviewed. I have not tried the live data option yet, but the manual says it can be done.

I shopped online at Advance Auto Parts and got 20% off and pick up at the local store. Price for the scanner ($243.99), with Indiana sales tax (7%), $261.07 out the door.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

not that he knows that much about cars or would work on it 

Don't over think it.

Bout fifty bucks in a "all you can fit in a bucket" Bomgaars sale

IMG_20221128_134458222.thumb.jpg.d41f34d533ff9dbdaff028a9247f6d0d.jpg

• Like 1

I've got a couple Innova units that have been good. My first one was a OBD-1/OBD-2 code reader. It has worked good for what I needed. The latest one I got is a OBD-2 with ABS, SRS and Engamced OEM codes. No complaints with it, but it was a bit over a couple hundred bucks. I don't think you can go wrong with most any unit out there. 

• Like 1