What would u do?

searcyfarms

3 hours ago, KyIH said:

+1 for Gehl, although the next one will probably be a JCB. The accessibility is worth not breaking your neck getting on and off of other skid steers.

unfortunately they only make one BIG machine anymore and its not high flow - jcb is the same with no LARGE class machine 

2 hours ago, Pete1468 said:

I've got a cat 297 myself and we have a 299 at work.  I like them both.  We looked at a roughly 500 Deere when we bought out at work and the pins and bushings were shot, not just a little either, it was clunking and banging just turning.

how many hours were on the used ones iwth the bad pins/bushings, i presume you were speaking of loader/cylinder pins/bushings? 

7 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

What about a Terex? I had an ASV up north. Single speed but it would work circles around the same Bobcat. I like the lift up doors also. 

terex are out of business and ASV bought themselves back out due to issues when terex owned them a few yrs is my understanding we just doing have a lot around nor the support for them - they have specific machines designed more for forestry type stuff but I would be more concerned about support there arent many around used either - the ones you see are in the areas with strong dealers it appears. 

3 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

how many hours were on the used ones iwth the bad pins/bushings, i presume you were speaking of loader/cylinder pins/bushings? 

About 500 hours, I can't believe even without grease it would be that loose in 500 hours.  Our cat dealer is great here.  

Demo them and let us know the results.

I did see case has a huge tracked one now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

yes ive heard nothing but great reviews with the deere on excavating/pushing/loading/unloading - ive ran the deere 333g for bout a half hour and the seat in them is a 100 dollar seat on a 500 dollar base and its a low back, that was my only beef however i didnt get to use it on a mulcher and test the hydraulics, so i have a family who's son is a tech for deere that says not to by a deere and a friend here that works at cat that says do not buy a cat, just my luck = go figure LOL 

Mine is loaded with every available option which includes a cloth seat.
It’s  fine for me.

• Like 1

Gehl wheel machines is what the local large dairy here runs, they run them 8-10 hrs a day. the get around 10,000 hrs on engines. All of them break the loaded arms where they turn down. Local feed lot tried running deer, no luck. Dirt contractor runs Kobuto and Takahuci booth have done good with lots of hours, all were deleted.  

• Like 1

Off the top of my head I’d say Cat.  I have yet to be impressed overall with Deere skid steers.  Not that I think Cat walks on water, having been around the small end of the Cat skid steer line.  

I’ve probably spent well over 7,500 hours of my life in a skid steer, and the older I get the less I like large skid steers.  Visibility is horrible on them compared to a compact wheel loader.  Even the small skid steers are bad.  Engineers have forgotten that operators need to be able to see what is around them.  The only way I would buy a large skid steer is if there were no other option for the job at hand.

• Thanks 1

Just like tractors and other items of farm machinery, it sometimes boils down to which one has a dealer network in your area. 

I can get literally anything i could ever need for my 333 within a ten minute drive in West, North, and South and a 45 minute drive East. 

The 1 Bobcat dealer near by doesn't even come close to the kind of service  i get. 

The nearby Dealer network regardless of what i buy is very important to me .

My Snapon dealer comes to my house, gives my a new coat every year.

My seed dealer delivers it to both farms and is treating us to a smoked prime rib dinner this wed night.

My skid steer dealer stops by just to visit and spent an hour here last friday teaching me how to use the float option. 

YUP, The dealer makes a difference.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Just like tractors and other items of farm machinery, it sometimes boils down to which one has a dealer network in your area. 

I can get literally anything i could ever need for my 333 within a ten minute drive in West, North, and South and a 45 minute drive East. 

The 1 Bobcat dealer near by doesn't even come close to the kind of service  i get. 

The nearby Dealer network regardless of what i buy is very important to me .

My Snapon dealer comes to my house, gives my a new coat every year.

My seed dealer delivers it to both farms and is treating us to a smoked prime rib dinner this wed night.

My skid steer dealer stops by just to visit and spent an hour here last friday teaching me how to use the float option. 

YUP, The dealer makes a difference.

If you don’t think you are paying for them to pat you on the azz, you are smoking dope. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Between those 2 machines, here, I personally would take the Deere. I liked the visibility and layout better, and found it more comfortable for me, and also incredible dealer support here. If it goes down there's another one being delivered to keep ya going, or at least that was the case. Also no DEF to deal with which I really liked for our winters. 

But, if you're planning on running a mulcher, I would lean towards Cat. I have no experience with a mulcher, but have been told by deere guys and others who have run them that they don't have enough cooling or capacity to be able to run all day every day. Also another note about mulchers that quite a few different salesman of different brands have told me is that they are extremely hard on the loader and the radial lift machines will stand up to the abuse much better. 

At the end of the day either one can go down. The one with better dealer support and the one you would rather spend all day, every day in would be the one to go with. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

If you don’t think you are paying for them to pat you on the azz, you are smoking dope. 

If price is all that matters to you than you my friend are the one smoking dope, buy the cheapest stuff you can find.

Besides that my better half is the chief deputy Director, I don’t really need her hauling me in to jail.

I know nothing about mulchers other then trying to hire one.  Do you do enough mulching to check out one of the purpose built machines?  The game comission has one and there is one sitting at the Bobcat dealer.

6 hours ago, KyIH said:

Parts are just a click away for most any brand. My local Deere conglomerate here doesn’t seem to stock anything but, “can order it for me”. Then they charge me shipping when it does come in. I have learned to cut out the middle man.

This is true, but I still don’t underestimate the benefits of a great counter man. 

• Like 1

i think someone sent me a sign today, i had 3 cat service trucks pass me in a 20 mile stretch at 645 - service truck, lube truck and a boom truck - they were all headed to work i presume and must all live out here by me, i know the one guys does i seem him regular he lives a couple miles down teh road