One for Bitty

hardtail

Was cruising through MB Cats old threads this morning and came across this one, 350 tractor with I think he said 881 combine cab running a snowblowerpost-86-1264445159.jpg.384cb61f72667cc88aef765ecb53a012.jpg

• Like 11

Tony in CA ...

This was a great older fellow from Manitoba, no longer with us, I was looking for his fix for the old A and B injection pumps and ran across this one

RIP John 🙏

He had a couple pics of it in action, not sure if the gearing was original or he modified that for different directional speeds, he seems to have corrected the biggest problem I always felt with the 3 point snowblower was you were facing the wrong way

• Like 4

I was told that I’d you turn the bull gear over your direction changes. If works correctly you would have 4 gears headed towards rear tires and reverse would move you towards your front tires (smaller). We have a M that I need to try it on as we use it backwards with a loader. It come from a log home place but we use it to move round bales.

27 minutes ago, Snox38 said:

I was told that I’d you turn the bull gear over your direction changes. If works correctly you would have 4 gears headed towards rear tires and reverse would move you towards your front tires (smaller). We have a M that I need to try it on as we use it backwards with a loader. It come from a log home place but we use it to move round bales.

Not the bull gear, you flip the differential over. As long as there's room in the rear end this works on any tractor.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hardtail said:

Has a Versatile look to it, be a quick turning unit

Good bad or other wise any swather I have seen is spin it around with the inside wheel locked if you want ..................................or don't sometimes. Having grown up running crawlers and steering levers and only having a day or 2 on my newer swather with a steering wheel. I have so much more control with the sticks. I tell the son I bought the newer one for him to drive.😄 

Yes Tony purchase the 350 already reversed.

8 hours ago, hardtail said:

Has a Versatile look to it, be a quick turning unit

Yes definitely a versatile 400. Spent many hours on one when I was a kid. (Started at 7 years old lol) 

Got a chance to meet John at Wetaskawin when we were all out for the big show. He was a wealth of knowledge that’s for sure. 

• Like 1

To go back to the original photo.  Yes John had reversed it.  I visited with him once and he showed it to me.  I have often wished I had bought it at his auction sale (I suppose I should say "run it up further").  It went pretty cheap even if you wanted to buy it to do all the work to take it back to original.  It sold early in the sale and I was saving to buy a higher end tractor later in the day.  He also had a home made "tractor starter".  It was a drop box of some sort with a bunch of Caterpillar gears inside it.  It was made so he mounted it on the drawbar of his "starting tractor" hooked to the pto.  The gears reversed the direction so he could attach a pto shaft to the tractor he wanted to start and everything turned the correct direction.  I looked for it at the sale but did not see it.  

• Like 1