IH Literature Gold Mine / 404 Lo-Boy ?

IHRedRyan

The University of Guelph here in Ontario was formerly the Ontario Agricultural College and apparently back in the day they started keeping a copy of ag related advertisements. 

Their archives department at the library lets you view these collections, you can't check them out like books but I did convince them to let me scan them.

There is 25 boxes crammed with IH brochures, sales bulletins, catalogues, probably somewhere around 20 000 pages of stuff, just roughly guessing by the fact that it took me 3 hours to get through the first half of the first box. The box I looked at was tractors, hundred series through 04/06 series, and I wasn't able to skim through every box but theres stuff on tractors back to pre letter series up to 66 series where it seems to get a bit more spotty, there's multiple boxes on trucks, many boxes on implements, there's some construction stuff, stationary engines, combines, cream seperators & fridges... you get the idea. 

I know the literature doesn't turn everyone's crank but to me this was quite the find. Not sure how much of it I will find the time to scan but it doesn't seem like they have any intention of getting rid of any of it... i asked. 

Quite a few of the smaller ads 2 pagers/4 pagers are "International Harvester of Canada". Not sure if the actual publication differed at all from the US version or maybe they just changed "who" it was from. 

The biggest oddity I came across so far was a 2 page ad for a 404 Lo-Boy , didn't know those existed but a google search brought a few up. I would imagine this ad for them hasn't been seen by many so thought I would share.

I'm not sure when i'll have a chance to go look at some more but I'll extend the offer to you guys on here, if there's an ad you'd like to have a digital copy of, send me a PM and eventually if i come across it i'll scan it. Can't guarantee they have it all, as I said it seems to get spotty after 56 series stuff, but there sure is a lot. They've got all this stuff hiding in the basement, probably barely ever sees the light of day so it might as well be shared to the people who will appreciate it. 

404 Lo-Boy Clear 1.jpg

404 Lo-Boy Clear 2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That’s pretty neat. I like the literature stuff as well. It would be interesting to sort through all of it, but the 06-66 series is what I really like.

• Like 1

I enjoy literature but don’t have time to get into it much. That does sound like a gold mine. 
I didn’t know about the 404 lo-boy either till I saw one at an auction few years ago. I wondered what the heck it was at first. I guess they actually were quite popular with golf courses and especially grass runways at airports. 

This is a good find as some info has been lost over the years . I saw a 2404 lo boy at a past RP R up. It was set up with short spindles and small dia. flotation tires for mowing side hills . You could almost step over it to get on.

On 11/26/2022 at 12:10 PM, IHRedRyan said:

Their archives department...

FWIW, I think these folks should have, at least, cursory discussion with the Wisconsin Historical Society if they already haven't.  So they know of this collection's existence.

I, personally, love this stuff - @IHRedRyan; thank you for what you've done so far, and in advance of what you might share in the future!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rusty_Farmer said:

Keep it up Bill...........might this turn into a rare lit. thread??   hint hint?

This may be a rare one.  First time I bid on this brochure, AD-2502-P2, at an IHCC Winter Convention, I dropped out at $400.  I can't tell how much I paid for this one.  🙄BK

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

• Like 4

Not to hijack but I’m getting real close to completing my Summer Fall IH Buyers Guide collection. Just got 1966 last month. Still on the lookout for 1973. D6DD2CDE-CCEA-45F3-88DE-99FE106B9DAD.thumb.jpeg.5a7b42607c4292f5454e53ea3c328342.jpeg

• Like 5

@Brady Boyyes those 1973 guides (especially the middle) is what I want. I know they have been for sale before but I haven’t come across one yet that been for sale at the time I see it. 

@acem lots of great pieces! I would like to find one of the 4166, 4366, and 4568.

• Like 1