Fried thanksgiving

vtfireman85

We do thanksgiving on Friday, I decided with the fried Turkey we needed fried sweet potatoes, so far i am getting good reports from the kitchen, I am doing 5 gallons of potatoes. 
had to bust out the Coleman lantern to finish up, got Waylon cranking, cold beer . Been a good afternoon, not much small talk as it’s cold out. 

4AB2E774-4161-47DA-9FD7-D391CB6035C5.jpeg

848FCC93-FE0F-4293-8ABF-7C8F786871EE.jpeg

1D5AFCFC-7CC5-48AE-B940-14344098D36F.jpeg

• Like 14

5 hours ago, mrfred54 said:

Sounds pretty darn good.😃   5 gallons,wow you be eating sweet potatoes for awhile

22 people, they didn’t all get eaten but made a dent. 

• Like 1

Looks yummy! How many turkeys did you do for that crowd? I fried one once and it was good but I've been roasting them at 400. 16lb, 1.5 hours breast down then .5 on each side and finally .5 breast up to brown. Came out just right. Only 12 people this year, waaayy too much food and plenty of left overs.

How long do you fry the sweet potatoes? I never thought to do that.

31 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

Gotta ask, what's the unistrut for?

Turkey crane, so I didn’t need to hover over the pot to lift, i had enough people so i had someone run the lift and i could check breast temp with a thermo-pen

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

Turkey crane, so I didn’t need to hover over the pot to lift, i had enough people so i had someone run the lift and i could check breast temp with a thermo-pen

Good idea.  Did you use food-grade strut?

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

Looks yummy! How many turkeys did you do for that crowd? I fried one once and it was good but I've been roasting them at 400. 16lb, 1.5 hours breast down then .5 on each side and finally .5 breast up to brown. Came out just right. Only 12 people this year, waaayy too much food and plenty of left overs.

How long do you fry the sweet potatoes? I never thought to do that.

2 turkeys did it but had 3, honestly turkey isn’t the big seller anyway, there are so many sides nobody has much room for that much Turkey. 

as for the fries they didn’t take long, 5-10 minutes per batch, i did it in 3 installments. Slice peeled sweet potato and boil until a little bit softer but not so much that they are pasty. When they go in the fryer they sink, ask they cook they float, i just cooked until i liked the color. 

• Like 1