squeeze chutes and head gates

zleinenbach

2 hours ago, acem said:

PS I'd rather be in a pin of cattle with men who are good cow hands and nothing but rope than a fancy set of pens with idiots whooping and hollering!

....that says it all, Ace....echoed   Jeff's words

...a piece    of polythene pipe about four foot long...with a bit of rag tied through the end....and a few quiet words can draft out a pen  quite easily..... the ''whooping  and hollering ''   just winds the cattle up

We drench adult cattle via a head stall and a crush gate...and not much else...same with NAIT tags etc

Mike

• Like 1

Dad always said working cattle nice and easy and quiet was the best way. Let them think it's their idea when you can he said. Always found if I tried to hurry or push them much it never worked out..

• Like 1

As you know, the company I work for sells several different brands of chutes.  They all have l good and bad, like anything.  From my perspective, Priefert and Powder River give the best customer service.  They stand behind their stuff decades after it was built.  For Priefert, I like the S04.  For Powder River, the C2000 is my pick.  I don't like auto headgates.

I still need to get you some drawings of pens for your barn.  Sorry about that, been right busy lately.  

• Like 1

I find a bucket of grain, and 3 panels is all I need, they walk right on in that trailer. Most of them anyhow😁. One yearling this last week just wasn't having anything to do with that trailer. I finally won the battle, just took a bit longer. No yelling , and def no strangers. They don'tike that much 

Mark

• Like 2

On 11/24/2022 at 7:53 PM, 885 said:

Have a filson sweep tub and it's nice. I imagine their headgates are of the same quality

I have the Filson sweep tub and chutes and headgate.  All is great on quality. I have a “sort” path in my setup that I don’t recommend, as it widens things and allows an animal to get turned around.  Auto headgate works pretty good. Isn’t fast on changing widths.   I inherited the squeeze chute and headgate and added the tub and chutes.  

Also, Preifert in this area is a go to brand on squeeze chutes and head catches around here.  Co-op’s carry them here.  

On 11/24/2022 at 10:19 PM, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

We have several W-W squeeze chutes and a W-W portable corral. They’ve always worked good for us. 

Around here, those are the highest end brand there is.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 495man said:

I have a Stockman's Choice, automatic headgate, sides narrow in but it isn't a squeeze model.

I have no complaints with it. 

IMG_4356.JPG

A very nice example of you don't need everything perfect to safely do what needs doing to a bovine.

After watching the TV vet shows and having nothing for restraint of cows I have believed the above set up of 2 panels anchored, a for sure front gate or blocking of the runway and 2 pipes in the rear for not much money your in business.  

On 11/24/2022 at 8:59 PM, sandhiller said:

It is easier when you don't have a bunch of yahoo's that think they know cattle getting them stirred up. 

Cows get to know you and your voice and will be calmer. 

I can do more by myself or with my son than I can do with other "helpers" the cattle have never been around.  We used a homemade headgate

that was 70 yrs old. Upgraded to box store tarter with self catch chute. Heavenly. 

Yes we have a 2 pen catch pen. Tub and curved chute. Scoop of chop gets them all in the pen.  Can calmly separate and get the job done from there myself. 

Loading in the trailer is easy too. Same set up. But I put a scoop of chop on an empty bag in front half of trailer. They get close, see the snack and walk on.  

I'm not working wild Buffalo. I'm raising white faces in a very relaxed environment.  

Love my cattle. Can pet most of them while cutting twine from fresh round bale to drop in haysaver feeder.

Had black. Won't go back

On 11/26/2022 at 5:23 PM, ray54 said:

A very nice example of you don't need everything perfect to safely do what needs doing to a bovine.

After watching the TV vet shows and having nothing for restraint of cows I have believed the above set up of 2 panels anchored, a for sure front gate or blocking of the runway and 2 pipes in the rear for not much money your in business.  

Thanks, this setup was big upgrade from trying to run a cow in a pen, running around in circles and roping it, putting halter on it and trying to tie it in place around a post, then do whatever it was that needed done. 

Stockman's Choice unit was only money out of pocket and was cheap compared to getting hurt doing basic work with cow. 

• Like 1