squeeze chutes and head gates

zleinenbach

Stay away from tarter and the chain store type stuff if possible.  Some of them are hardly big enough for large cows and not built as heavy.  We fight through with a Paul Zimmerman Chute, some fence panels, and a makeshift crowd gate feeding it. It doesn't squeeze.  Preifert is well known.  

I would say find what you can used.  That is how I got what I have.

Screenshot_20221124-200422_Chrome.jpg

I ran cattle through a Powder River manual squeeze chute mostly all my life. With either a manual or self catch headgate. 

I did change the headgate to straight vertical sides instead of the curved ones that hold the head/neck in the middle. It was a choke down hazzard if the animal went down while in the chute. 

I have a Parasol (Valentine, Ne)  hyd chute now and really like it. 

Personal preference but I like the head gate and tail gate that close parallel to each other rather than open and close in a V.

Guess it depends on how many cattle you intend to run through it also.  There is a big difference between running 50 head through it vs 500.  The more head obviously the more efficiently needs to play into it. 

I like an auto catch headgate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hobbyfarm said:

Guess it depends on how many cattle you intend to run through it also.  There is a big difference between running 50 head through it vs 500.  The more head obviously the more efficiently needs to play into it. 

I like an auto catch headgate.

agreed. we won’t have a large quantity of cows, especially compared to what a lot of you guys have.

my problem is scheduling help and weather and cows at the same time. we got jack spit for handling equipment now, so it takes 3 or 4 adults and a kiddo or two to get anything accomplished. FIL is getting older and our kids are only ones to show interest in it. i may be over extending it by buying equipment to save me the headaches of schedule conflicts.

example, cows need to be vaccinated but could t pull it off because everyone busy this weekend. 

so next weekend will be 30 degrees cooler and muddy. this is hypothetical but could be very accurate

8 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

agreed. we won’t have a large quantity of cows, especially compared to what a lot of you guys have.

my problem is scheduling help and weather and cows at the same time. we got jack spit for handling equipment now, so it takes 3 or 4 adults and a kiddo or two to get anything accomplished. FIL is getting older and our kids are only ones to show interest in it. i may be over extending it by buying equipment to save me the headaches of schedule conflicts.

example, cows need to be vaccinated but could t pull it off because everyone busy this weekend. 

so next weekend will be 30 degrees cooler and muddy. this is hypothetical but could be very accurate

A headlock wagon or headlocks in a barn or feeding area could get you by also.  We had headlocks in our barn at our old place that got the job done.  The vet could go right down the line for preg checking.

Another random thought.  Calm cattle can get wild.  Had a friends young son end up at the dentist with a broken tooth when a cow kicked a gate last year.  Having the right equipment is certainly safer.

The two of us (my 15 year old and I) can usually do everything ourselves.

22 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

Catch pen into a crowd pen/tub into a alleyway into a chute and you are working cattle by yourself on your schedule. 

I generally do my fall cows by myself or one helper to bring them up 

Take my time, cattle stay calm. 

• Like 1

We got a used (5 times) Arrow Q squeeze chute, new scale setup and a few panels 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Catch pen into a crowd pen/tub into a alleyway into a chute and you are working cattle by yourself on your schedule. 

I generally do my fall cows by myself or one helper to bring them up 

Take my time, cattle stay calm. 

last line i am learning

• Like 2

Just now, zleinenbach said:

last line i am learning

It is easier when you don't have a bunch of yahoo's that think they know cattle getting them stirred up. 

Cows get to know you and your voice and will be calmer. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bitty said:

We got a used (5 times) Arrow Q squeeze chute, new scale setup and a few panels 

Cadillac, I really like the hyd neck-extender

Well thought out chute. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

It is easier when you don't have a bunch of yahoo's that think they know cattle getting them stirred up. 

Cows get to know you and your voice and will be calmer. 

fil is the cattle whisperer. typically goes twice as easy if he stays out.

• Like 1

Here’s what I got for my little herd. I ran with an old hand me down chute for years don’t even know the brand but it was cheap and worked. Only problem with the old one was it took minimum two people, one to run the cows in one to run the head gate. New one is self catch. I do almost everything by myself now. About 15 years ago I had a cow go down in the old one, had to torch it apart to get her out. Went shopping for a new one and welded the old one back together. Now there are a lot more middle of the road chutes on the market. Good features with decent price. Only thing mine doesn’t have that I wish it did is a neck extender for vaccinating. 
stockmans choice d90sp

808F1A6F-DBDB-4AAD-A9E0-3F1EF06F1AE0.jpeg

• Like 1

I know people who still work cattle with rope.

My uncle Ashley managed a big spread in Northern Mexico back in the 30s and 40s. They ran around 10,000 head. No facilities except round corrals for holding. All the work was done with rope and horses. 

No tractors either.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

While you are thinking about your set up. 

You may want to consider portable panels. 

With some well placed posts in stress areas, you can build your pens and alleyway and change as necessary until you see what works best. 

After you make them permanent you can use your portable panels for other things. (you will always find a use for them)

Buy or build your own good ones and you will have them a long long time. 

I made this panel jig so they all turn out the same and all welding is done at waist level (both sides)

1759266977_paneljig.thumb.jpg.64d31891a67cb2603084478e380e01f0.jpg

I built mine to keep me from getting nervous about my upcoming marriage.

That was 34 years ago and still have the original panels and original bride😄

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, acem said:

My uncle Ashley managed a big spread in Northern Mexico back in the 30s and 40s. They ran around 10,000 head. No facilities except round corrals for holding. All the work was done with rope and horses. 

No tractors either.

Thx-Ace 

That's where we say......"it gets a little western over there"😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lot of friends swear by headlocks but I don’t like them. Cows can dance and kick too easy. But they make it work for them. Just another option to think about. I bought a used feed wagon with head locks because it was cheep. Tried them once and went back to the chute I already had. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, acem said:

No tractors either.

Thx-Ace 

I got a lot of respect for those type of operations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1256pickett said:

I got a lot of respect for those type of operations. 

Uncle Ashley was an old time cowboy. Born round 1900 in Durango Colorado and worked with cattle almost all of his adult life as a cow puncher, manager or owner. He was a minority owner in the big ranch he managed in old Mexico. The Mexico government nationalized it around 1950 because it was owned by foreigners. They took their stock to market and moved on, they had made alot of money.

He retired to a small spread in North Arkansas, just over a section in a ozark mountains and ran a few herford cattle.

Never owned a tractor. Moved cattle from pasture to pasture grazing. The lack of a brushog was a bad plan in the humid midsouth though. The saplings were taking over... so he just sold timber!

Thx-Ace 

PS I'd rather be in a pin of cattle with men who are good cow hands and nothing but rope than a fancy set of pens with idiots whooping and hollering!

• Like 3