Meyers V Spreaders

hobbyfarm

For the last few years I have been renting a tubeline 525rs box spreader.  Honestly it is too much spreader for my 5250 maxuum with fwa.  It is definitely sketchy on slopes and we have plenty of them.

Pros: I don't own it.  Well built seems heavy duty.  Outstanding spread pattern.  It just destroys the penpack manure.

Cons:  Apron chain set up can get poop on roads.  High loading height.  I don't own it.  When chicken flu came through the owner who has a layer house wasn't sure about renting it.  Need heavier tractor for stability and safety.

I've been eyeing these Myers V spreaders with vertical beaters out the back.  Lower loading height and I don't see dropping poop off on the roads.  Anyone have one or experience with them.  Kind of an improvement on the old side slingers.  Do you feel more moving parts to wear out with the 3 augers?  I would clean it out timely.  How long is the life on these augers?  I've seem some worn out to nothing but I'm guessing they run every day 365.

We had an earlier 8500 model one. Newer ones beaters turn the opposite direction and spread better I'm told. Ours streaked more than I liked, augers didn't wear out bad at all and the first year after the barn fire we daily spread sand laden manure 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bitty said:

We had an earlier 8500 model one. Newer ones beaters turn the opposite direction and spread better I'm told. Ours streaked more than I liked, augers didn't wear out bad at all and the first year after the barn fire we daily spread sand laden manure 

I had found a video of the newest series spreading.  Spread pattern looked excellent.

• Like 1

The farm I worked at had an early industrial model, not sure what number. Lots of moving parts, poor spread pattern, poorly designed drive, we would break 100 pitch roller chains and twist shafts off before the 1/4 inch shear bolt would shear. The door also leaked but we daily hauled out of the dairy barn and the manure was pretty loose.

Meyers v-spreaders are good for **** as far as I'm concerned and they don't even handle that well. We went to a knight slinger and never looked back.

What are you spreading?  When I hear 5250 tractor, I think New Holland 195 spreader. Just the right size for that tractor, durable machine, and just about the best spread pattern you will ever find for a horizontal beater spreader. 

Spreading mostly penpack manure.  Some can be real sloppy, some not sloppy at all.  I like the idea of getting rid of an apron chain that will collect manure underneath and bounce or fall off going down the road.  Also like the vertical beater.  I have a Hesston s220 (same as new idea) box spreader that has been sitting since we moved here.  Way to small and no end gate.  Just tire kicking at the moment.  Big $ no matter what make/model unless I find a good used one.  What is out there in a hydro push with vertical beaters?  

46 minutes ago, pt756 said:

as i mentioned earlier we only live about 4 miles away from factory lots of them around

I'm close to messicks.  They have sold a bunch.  

We have two Knight 2054 hydro push vertical beaters we went to now since we have a lot of compost type of solids . They empty as fast as you want them to 

We milked for 40 years. Had three of those three auger myers, never ever an issue at all.  They are super popular around here. Have a 50 animal run in shed that doesn’t get cleaned between Christmas and spring.  600-1200lb animals running in and out, bedded with round bales (ie….there is waste…and it packs in Heavy. 3’ deep.) packs hard enough that I drive over it with the skidsteer when adding more bales).  Myers will eat up every bit of it. But….the pattern is not the best.  I didn’t spread pen pack on hay ground with it.  Milk barn manure on hay ground, definitely, just not pen pack.  We had side slingers before them,excellent pattern, but your sure not dropping a big bucket of pen pack into one.    I grease spreaders weekly, and the Myers all had the automatic chain oilers, I think that helped  them a lot

At work we got a pik rite HR550 this fall.  Hydro push vertical beaters.  We spread a lot of bedded pack that was composted.  Really good spread pattern.  Very few moving parts.  It replaced a knight 8132. They make a bunch of smaller sizes.  IMHO if you are not hauling lots of loose manure a slinger/ augur spreader is not for you.  

5 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

The farm I worked at had an early industrial model, not sure what number. Lots of moving parts, poor spread pattern, poorly designed drive, we would break 100 pitch roller chains and twist shafts off before the 1/4 inch shear bolt would shear. The door also leaked but we daily hauled out of the dairy barn and the manure was pretty loose.

Meyers v-spreaders are good for **** as far as I'm concerned and they don't even handle that well. We went to a knight slinger and never looked back.

We had something like this a while back.   Maybe an 8500 model?  It was a train wreck.  Did not like our bedded pack at all.  All the same problems you mentioned .  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paystar5000 said:

At work we got a pik rite HR550 this fall.  Hydro push vertical beaters.  We spread a lot of bedded pack that was composted.  Really good spread pattern.  Very few moving parts.  It replaced a knight 8132. They make a bunch of smaller sizes.  IMHO if you are not hauling lots of loose manure a slinger/ augur spreader is not for you.  

We had something like this a while back.   Maybe an 8500 model?  It was a train wreck.  Did not like our bedded pack at all.  All the same problems you mentioned .  

Ours was I think a 5570 industrial but I'm not sure of the number. It was Meyers first attempt at an industrial spreader. We broke so much stuff on it that Meyer said they were not going to support it any longer and tried to sell their new improved industrial model. The owner of Meyer himself came to the farm to talk to us and it just happened to be the same time the knight dealer pulled in to deliver the first slinger.

Looking online at specs i see most of these vertical beater spreaders require a lot of horse power.  With tractor prices I don't see a bigger tractor with more traction coming home anytime soon.  Maybe a classic tractor but nothing with fwa.  Maybe ill make a list of what spreaders fit the bill and keep my eye out.

I have a Meyer v-max 3954.

I hate it for bed pack. You have to fluff it up really good and it's time consuming. I put the poultry manure slow down kit in as well. So it takes forever to unload. 

I'm currently look for a kuhn knight pro push but they are expensive and hard to find used. 

• 4 weeks later...

Back to the top.  Stumbled onto a guy with a Knight 8118.  Only seen pics.  Augers and hammers good.   Not a beauty queen.  Any experience with these on penpack manure?  I don't want clumps as i spread on a lot of hay ground.  I could get out of my spreader and into this pretty easily.  Have I lost my mind?

57 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

A slinger for pen pack . . . sounds like a Knightmare to me. I didn’t even like slingers for slop and that is what they were made for.  

Yeah I don't know.  Guys that have several types of manure use them and claim they are OK for penpack.  Anything with a web apron and chain seems to drop crap on the road.  My little single beater spreader throws clumps and is not the way to go.  I know you mentioned 195 new holland but i think i am done with traditional horizontal beater.  My penpack can get range from sloppy to firm.  Hydro push vertical beater is out of the budget.

A slinger will handle pen pack manure fine. If you bed with long straw or grass just make sure you don't put a giant wad in there, it helps to kind of break it up when you load the spreader. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

Yeah I don't know.  Guys that have several types of manure use them and claim they are OK for penpack.  Anything with a web apron and chain seems to drop crap on the road.  My little single beater spreader throws clumps and is not the way to go.  I know you mentioned 195 new holland but i think i am done with traditional horizontal beater.  My penpack can get range from sloppy to firm.  Hydro push vertical beater is out of the budget.

I'd take one of these easily for the one spreader for a multi use spreader over any others. We have a 3200 or something like that. Spread awesome for evenness , just not fast as noted. 

3 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

They will spread pen pack nicely, just not quickly. 

Concur 

11 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

A slinger will handle pen pack manure fine. If you bed with long straw or grass just make sure you don't put a giant wad in there, it helps to kind of break it up when you load the spreader. 

Good advice 

Of all the side slingers I've been around the knight does the nicest job for all aspects of any variation in manure. The hammers help break up stuff better than just a rotor 

• Like 1

Think I am going to take it.  Worst thing that happens is I send it down the road.  Pretty sure I could get back out of it.  Thanks for the advise.  It is going to be a week or two until I can get it.  It is about 2.5 hours away.

• Like 1