Plowing pics

billonthefarm

That brings back memories.  Good times.

Low 3 T/A.  Must be some pretty heavy ground.

56 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Cool pictures literally!! 
You know you are going to He@@ according to the no-tillers? I LOVED PLOWING!!

Now that’s not necessarily true. Even us no-tillers enjoy tillage, it’s just not always the best option depending on a lot of circumstances 

I love the pictures, spent many hours behind a heat houser just like that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IH Forever said:

Now that’s not necessarily true. Even us no-tillers enjoy tillage, it’s just not always the best option depending on a lot of circumstances 

I really enjoy doing tillage work, problem I have is certain types seem to incorporate weed seeds. The waterhemp around here doesn't need any help!

If that is a 14, that plow should be no problem at all. We pulled 5-18’s with an 856 in 3rd with TA forward, WOT, and didn’t plow shallow. Most soil was more brown, than black, so fair amount clay.

I loved plowing, didn’t have a heat houser, coverall, stocking cap, and ‘snowmobile gloves’ until the ground was either froze, or too much snow.

This is the third 1466 built, #7103.  Pulling 5-16’s 10” deep in low 3rd T/A.  Yes, it’s heavy black ground but doesn’t slab over like some of our black ground.  This area is known for really nice soil that pulls hard.  It’s also as productive as any ground in IL.  I have found that a moldboard plow is a really good way to get rid of water hemp seed as well as any others.  I rented 120 acres that was Prevent Plant back in 2019 and they just let it grow up and go to seed.  Spring of 2020 I plowed half of it.  The other half I cultivated and planted.  The weed pressure where it was plowed was less than 10% of the other half.  I plowed the entire thing in the fall of 2021 and it had virtually no weed pressure in 2022.  

• Like 4

Friend of mine was renting his uncles farm, was chisel plowing across the road from the uncles house. Uncle called him and told him to stop, that he would rather look at bean stubble than a plowed field. The ground that was plowed was bare of weeds in the spring. The bean stubble was a carpet of weeds 

• Sad 1

That set up looks great. I wish I had one more bottom. I was pulling 4 16s in L4 T/A about 1600 rpm. I had plenty of power but more gear or throttle will throw the dirt and I don't get good coverage. I wish I had a winter front for the 706 too.

IMG_20221029_170008650.thumb.jpg.faa3037a138daa8693447cfc3b228c45.jpg

756038476_VID_20221101_164001194_exported_1265543.thumb.jpg.84d4fd517776a554f323e4ad66bf4a33.jpg

VID_20221101_165849009_exported_524222.thumb.jpg.56fdd52a4280d48ea314e90419f76e5a.jpg

IMG_20221029_163924942.thumb.jpg.c1e13c02ce40593c47245ffe9e9a0a4c.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, IH Forever said:

I still contend that a good farmer is a good farmer no matter what. I have seen some so called no tillers who were terrible. Same goes for conventional or organic. You have to use the proper tools for your situation. 
I still like plowing. 
My wife likes to spray, needless to say we are not organic!