Best way to flush a gearbox?

Captian Kirk

I drained out my gearbox and the gear oil was a milky tan in colour. What's the best way to flush it out? Diesel and a short drive around, drain and repeat then new gear oil? I still need to get the 130L of gear oil, just don't want to add new stuff and have it go milky.

20221123_161816.thumb.jpg.929ea2eda81c9f7e9722ede998271a9f.jpg20221123_161809.thumb.jpg.041ba39e5246dd743eec819446656b51.jpg20221123_161700.thumb.jpg.cfec104e761f1628db88d41f9aa27126.jpg

So basically the transmission then ? Use the cheapest light weight oil you can find 10wt is best use a new filter and flush it with that  Not sure what your trying to flush out Metal ? water ? not enough information , the straight cut gears are transmission then 

Visit your friendly local tractor dealer and ask them for some used Hy-Tran. I have a dozen pails of good used stuff that I keep in the barn for just this purpose. Run it up and down the road for 15 minutes and drain it right away. Then let it drip overnight and you are good to go!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

So basically the transmission then ? Use the cheapest light weight oil you can find 10wt is best use a new filter and flush it with that  Not sure what your trying to flush out Metal ? water ? not enough information , the straight cut gears are transmission then 

I'm trying to flush out the water oil mix and there is some gunk in it also.

2 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

New boots on your shifter levers is prolly in your future...

Keep your shifter levers covered, like an exhaust, so rain doesn't just flow in there............

I think that was the problem,  it had a half cab on it for a long time being outside, we took the cab off and it sat out in the spring a some of the summer out before I got it. It stays out of the rain now, but I will be replacing the boots soon.

3 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Visit your friendly local tractor dealer and ask them for some used Hy-Tran. I have a dozen pails of good used stuff that I keep in the barn for just this purpose. Run it up and down the road for 15 minutes and drain it right away. Then let it drip overnight and you are good to go!

This here is one of the better ideas here.  Used Hytran won’t hurt a thing, but being Hytran it should help pull more of the excess water out of the transmission than what any of the cheaper oils will do.

• Like 4

That’s perfect logic, but I wouldn’t use just  anybody else’s discarded oil, for fear of it having contamination of some sort.   Walmart brand motor oil is $14 a gallon.   Maybe tractor supply yellow bucket stuff is even cheaper? (Never purchased either for use In anything)  but I think it’s what I would do in this case. Get it warm. Or if you have a warm shop, have it all warm, then you only need to go for a short drive, and then let it drain  out overnight.  Everybody here has probably seen oil much milkier than what we’re talking here. Random  machine gear boxes or what not.  

• Like 1

If it's your used oil or somebody you know.  Otherwise my bet is you would get a mixture of whatever is in the barrel.....

If the trans has a removeable top plate/side plates you could open it and wipe the insides down and splash the gears and bearings with some clean oil of your choice and button it up and fill and call it good.

The next time you service you would get the rest...

Either way it's gonna be way more happy than what it was.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captian Kirk said:

What would you recommend to flush with ? Seeing the color of the gear oil.

All of the suggested liquids will do equally well. One thing I might do different rather than driving it around would be to lift one rear wheel off the ground... this will make the spider gears work the contaminated out rather than simply covering them up. 

• Like 1