Td6 d282 engine

Reed92

I'm looking at purchasing a 1960 Td6 with a direct start 6cyl. What I've read on here is that it would be a 62 series 282 engine?  The guy states the lift pump is bad.  I would like to buy a lift pump and hear it run before I make a decision. Anyone know what lift pump they use? Also anything else I should inspect before I commit.  Thanks 

17 hours ago, Reed92 said:

I'm looking at purchasing a 1960 Td6 with a direct start 6cyl. What I've read on here is that it would be a 62 series 282 engine?  The guy states the lift pump is bad.  I would like to buy a lift pump and hear it run before I make a decision. Anyone know what lift pump they use? Also anything else I should inspect before I commit.  Thanks 

There is no lift pump on the 62 series TD6, does the tractor have a Rosa Master or IH RD pump. You bleed the fuel filters first, (bleed fitting on top of each fuel filter, takes a 7/16 inch wrench) then bleed the fuel line at the pump (3/4 inch wrench) crack open a couple of the fittings at the injection nozzles, crank the engine, it should start after a minute or so, do not crank for more than 30 seconds at a time so the starter does not overheat, then tighten up the loose injector fittings while it is running. You will need enough fuel in the fuel tank to have enough head to bleed the system. For all this to work the glow plugs need to be all good.

Reed, I would pull the fuel filters to see how dirty they are in there, if the filters look clean reinstall them, if not and usually a lot of crud accumulates at the bottom of the canister I would replace them, with the filter out of the primary canister open the full valve (located at the bottom of the fuel tank) to make sure the fuel flows and is clean. You need good flow of fuel at the injection pump. Filters are available at NAPA auto parts. Take pictures, we like pictures. 

Louie

On 11/24/2022 at 9:48 AM, louie figone said:

Reed, I would pull the fuel filters to see how dirty they are in there, if the filters look clean reinstall them, if not and usually a lot of crud accumulates at the bottom of the canister I would replace them, with the filter out of the primary canister open the full valve (located at the bottom of the fuel tank) to make sure the fuel flows and is clean. You need good flow of fuel at the injection pump. Filters are available at NAPA auto parts. Take pictures, we like pictures. 

Louie

Took a look at the dozer today. It's in really decent condition for the age. We decided to purchase it but will be next week before I get it home to tinker with. He said it started to run rough and eventually wouldn't start. He changed all filters then had someone look at it and was told the pump gave up. 

Where should I begin with the pump?   I will still start from the tank and make sure everything forward is ok. 

The full picture is one that is identical to it.  The close up picture is what's on the machine.  Thanks for everyone's help. 

20200406_183453.jpg.9635cfbfe50133227c01317ad02b2a70.jpg

20221126_135341.jpg

run rough and died all at once? and then wouldn't start?

Is there diesel in crankcase oil?

Does it have a return line to tank?  clogged?

If things get serious enough to point to a problem that's not fuel supply or air related I would want to have the injectors tested.....

A piece of old innertube around the fuel cap on the tank allows you to put a little air pressure to the system.  Not much 5 psi 7 psi or so.  It'll be enough to push air out of the lines and bleed it.....a work around to a bad lift pump

Make sure fuel shutoff lever is fully returning to run position.

What color exhaust when cranking?

23 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

run rough and died all at once? and then wouldn't start?

Is there diesel in crankcase oil?

Does it have a return line to tank?  clogged?

If things get serious enough to point to a problem that's not fuel supply or air related I would want to have the injectors tested.....

A piece of old innertube around the fuel cap on the tank allows you to put a little air pressure to the system.  Not much 5 psi 7 psi or so.  It'll be enough to push air out of the lines and bleed it.....a work around to a bad lift pump

Make sure fuel shutoff lever is fully returning to run position.

What color exhaust when cranking?

I believe it progressively got worse then wouldn't start for him.  I never tried cranking engine over long enough to notice any smoke.  I did not notice diesel smell in oil. I will have to wait till I get it home to try everything above. 

I will definitely try those options and check everything before I throw money at it. 

Louie said there is no lift pump. So what the previous owner really meant was the injector pump is going or gone bad. Where to start? Take it off and have it rebuilt probably. Of course check all the obvious simple stuff first as already said. You might get lucky but really sounds like the pump and injectors need gone thru.