Saginaw 3 Point Hitch

Caseihtecher

Looking for some one that has a Saginaw 3 point hitch on their Farmall H or M. Would like to see some detailed pictures and maybe get some measurements from some one. Planning to build my own hitch and I would like to base if off a Saginaw. My opinion is they looked like the best option when they were being made. Not a fan of how the Steiner 3 pts look. Thanks in advance. 

I have three but don't know if one is a Saginaw or not. 

Not sure of the mfg on any of em.

I just came in for dinner but could get you a lower arm length or pics if that  would help. 

• Like 1

Sorry, 

Squirrels kept jumping up in front of me today.

Can sure get you better pics and any measurements you want.

Lower arm length center of ball sockets.

36"

IMG_20221129_165730086.thumb.jpg.5795faae461922f51aa0d7c3a1c6a037.jpg

32"

IMG_20221129_165715799.thumb.jpg.47402a068d4f81445247f53583c4483b.jpg

Don't know where my third one is😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Sorry, 

Squirrels kept jumping up in front of me today.

Can sure get you better pics and any measurements you want.

Lower arm length center of ball sockets.

36"

IMG_20221129_165730086.thumb.jpg.5795faae461922f51aa0d7c3a1c6a037.jpg

32"

IMG_20221129_165715799.thumb.jpg.47402a068d4f81445247f53583c4483b.jpg

Don't know where my third one is😆

Interesting they are two different lengths. So 34" maybe a safe bet. How far is the hole for the adjustable link from the rear swivel balls? Looks like the 36" arm has it at center and the 32" arm looks like it's about 12" from the rear eyelet. Take your time. Don't have to run out there right away to measure. 😂

1 hour ago, snoshoe said:

Would you be mixing cat 1 and cat 2 measurements?

22 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

Listing I found cat 1 32-5/8" cat 2 35-7/8"

It's possible. I didn't know the length  mattered by category. Did some more research and what I think matters most is distance from the end of the pto shaft to the center of the outer ball. Should be around 20-21" for cat 1 and a little more then that for cat 2. So I measured mine and basically where the lower arm is going to pivot is 14" before the end of the pto shaft so I was going to shoot for 34" from center of ball to ball. 

• Like 2

I dont know what brand it is but the add on 3 point on my 400 has balls with both cat 1 and 2 holes in it. Just rotate them to the right set of holes. I think your on the right track setting it up the correct distance from the pto. Getting the implemented the right distance back from the tires might also be a consideration in some instances? Tho probably less important than pto distance?

20190123_172406.jpg

20190123_172412.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I dont know what brand it is but the add on 3 point on my 400 has balls with both cat 1 and 2 holes in it. Just rotate them to the right set of holes. I think your on the right track setting it up the correct distance from the pto. Getting the implemented the right distance back from the tires might also be a consideration in some instances? Tho probably less important than pto distance?

20190123_172406.jpg

20190123_172412.jpg

I maybe wrong. But yours looks like a Saginaw. And I thought about doing the same thing. Putting cat 1 on one end and cat 2 on the other. If I go with 34" like I plan. I should be plenty far from the tires. Id guess yours is probably 36". Would you mind doing some measuring on the rock shaft for me? I'm more curious to see how long the upper arms are. Like from the shaft to the end of the arms?

I can do that. This has both cat 1 and 2 holes on the same end. I am at work so will try to get some measurements tonight.  There are 2 sets of holes in the frame where the arms attach but they are directly above the other set. I believe they just change the angle of the arm not the distance from the pto.  Your method of cat 1 and 2 on opposite ends would work I think. 

7 minutes ago, Caseihtecher said:

I maybe wrong. But yours looks like a Saginaw. And I thought about doing the same thing. Putting cat 1 on one end and cat 2 on the other. If I go with 34" like I plan. I should be plenty far from the tires. Id guess yours is probably 36". Would you mind doing some measuring on the rock shaft for me? I'm more curious to see how long the upper arms are. Like from the shaft to the end of the arms?

• Like 2

Mine is a Abbot Bros. made in Blytheville, Ark. Its heavy, has 2 cylinders on top and will lift anything you hook it up to. Dont know how many the guys ever made but I widened this one out 8" to fit on one of my 560's after I got rid of the SMD's. Still have it on one 560.

Cat I tractor end. Pins will bend.

Cat II implement end.

Lower arms are 3/4 x 3 and will bend.

3 holes that attach lift arms to lower arms are at 16" 18" and 20".

IMG_20221130_095650827.thumb.jpg.29e4cb132cbed73972d86aa04c100a19.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Cat I tractor end. Pins will bend.

Cat II implement end.

Lower arms are 3/4 x 3 and will bend.

3 holes that attach lift arms to lower arms are at 16" 18" and 20".

IMG_20221130_095650827.thumb.jpg.29e4cb132cbed73972d86aa04c100a19.jpg

Do you think they bend because they are only supported on one end? That's why I liked the Saginaw. Both ends of the pin are supported and the lower arm is in-between frame work. My lower arms are going to be 1"x3.5" just because I have that size steel laying around. Thank you for the measurements. 

3 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I can do that. This has both cat 1 and 2 holes on the same end. I am at work so will try to get some measurements tonight.  There are 2 sets of holes in the frame where the arms attach but they are directly above the other set. I believe they just change the angle of the arm not the distance from the pto.  Your method of cat 1 and 2 on opposite ends would work I think. 

Thank you sir. 

11 hours ago, Caseihtecher said:

Do you think they bend because they are only supported on one end? That's why I liked the Saginaw. Both ends of the pin are supported and the lower arm is in-between frame work. My lower arms are going to be 1"x3.5" just because I have that size steel laying around. Thank you for the measurements. 

Hot rolled flat steel only 3/4" not that resistant to bend.

Got me a new 55ton shop press.

Have to take it on it's maiden voyage 😃

20 hours ago, SONNY said:

Mine is a Abbot Bros. made in Blytheville, Ark. Its heavy, has 2 cylinders on top and will lift anything you hook it up to. Dont know how many the guys ever made but I widened this one out 8" to fit on one of my 560's after I got rid of the SMD's. Still have it on one 560.

Do you have a picture? I think that may be the one I bought last year at an auction. Cylinders go over the top of the axle housings?

Mine's got some bent metal that needs to be straightened out, but I don't have the heat or heavy holding power to do it.