tractor prices!

pt756

Tractors and equipment seems outrageous to me.  I'm still skid steer browsing but I feel like the ones I look at have doubled in price over 10 years.  

It isn't just farming.  We bought my wife a new vehicle in 2018.  Out the door it was 29000 or so.  It now has 125000 miles on it.  Just for curiosity looked online for a replacement.  Same make and model but 2022 year is 40000.  

41 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Money doesn’t have much value now…

Employers don't hand out 100 dollar bills like they are the new 20 dollar bill.  There are a lot of people who cannot keep up with this inflation.  As to tractors and equipment I will have to spend a little for the end of the year.  I am using the concept of best value that I have some degree of need for.  I'm not chasing 30,000 dollar 4020's.  One thing about working a hard scrabble type operation I will never be flush with cash.  I will always have to pinch the penny.  I wish I had land that produced 110 bushel soybeans per acre and 300 bushel corn per acre as easy as the sun coming up every morning but I don't.  I agree with those that say there will be an evening out.  That values will decline.  I remember the 1980's as well being a very young man for the worst of it (1984-85).  I remember the doors being slammed in faces when looking for credit and the job market was terrible here as lots of employers closed unrelated to the farm crisis.  The only thing I miss about 1985 is being young and being in the chase for young women.  I don't miss being told you are young and don't need this job or you can't afford this piece of equipment.  

35 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

Employers don't hand out 100 dollar bills like they are the new 20 dollar bill.  There are a lot of people who cannot keep up with this inflation.  As to tractors and equipment I will have to spend a little for the end of the year.  I am using the concept of best value that I have some degree of need for.  I'm not chasing 30,000 dollar 4020's.  One thing about working a hard scrabble type operation I will never be flush with cash.  I will always have to pinch the penny.  I wish I had land that produced 110 bushel soybeans per acre and 300 bushel corn per acre as easy as the sun coming up every morning but I don't.  I agree with those that say there will be an evening out.  That values will decline.  I remember the 1980's as well being a very young man for the worst of it (1984-85).  I remember the doors being slammed in faces when looking for credit and the job market was terrible here as lots of employers closed unrelated to the farm crisis.  The only thing I miss about 1985 is being young and being in the chase for young women.  I don't miss being told you are young and don't need this job or you can't afford this piece of equipment.  

Wife and I purchased part of the home family farm this year so with the new mortgage payment ill never be worried about what to do with "extra" money at the end of the year until im about 80 if we manage to hang on that long.  

If i had cash to spend though i would buy some lime before any equipment right now.

37 minutes ago, cjf711 said:

Wife and I purchased part of the home family farm this year so with the new mortgage payment ill never be worried about what to do with "extra" money at the end of the year until im about 80 if we manage to hang on that long.  

If i had cash to spend though i would buy some lime before any equipment right now.

Yep, it is paramount to look at the best return whether it be lime or drain tile or some other proposition.   

The prices people are paying for things are nuts in general, I don't know how people are doing it with new and even used cars also but I think one of the driving factors on the prices on that era of tractors though is that they are still useful for farming so rather than buying a new $150,000 tractor they buy a clean older tractor for $70,000 to farm with that you can fix with wrenches rather than dealer locked software and a million different sensor codes you are always waiting on an expensive service call for.

18 hours ago, cjf711 said:

You keep that frame of mind, you'll be fine. Machinery isn't going to make your land payments. It's what your land produces is what does. Lime first and then get your fertility levels good. Then think about tile if needed. Machinery should be last, but yet needs to be reliable. 

20 hours ago, 766 Man said:

You are 100% right.I am nearing retirement age and it's scary. I work for the state and you are locked in with your salary. I am a bottom shelf dummy who drives truck, maintains roads,plows snow and cuts brush to keep the good citizens happy who pay taxes just like me.But I am locked in a wage,already way behind what a cdl driver would make .I would say 30 to 40 percent of what one would make in my area. I make less than a shift manager makes starting out at a gas station and probably what a fast food worker makes.I can't quit and lose my pension or I would.I am just waiting untilI  I retire and then go get another job.I have friends that their employers offered dollars per hour for them just  to stay.Inflation is eating away at my net worth like a rat eating feed in a bin.We all know who is to blame regardless of the lies put out.

2 hours ago, Jacka said:

You are 100% right.I am nearing retirement age and it's scary. I work for the state and you are locked in with your salary. I am a bottom shelf dummy who drives truck, maintains roads,plows snow and cuts brush to keep the good citizens happy who pay taxes just like me.But I am locked in a wage,already way behind what a cdl driver would make .I would say 30 to 40 percent of what one would make in my area. I make less than a shift manager makes starting out at a gas station and probably what a fast food worker makes.I can't quit and lose my pension or I would.I am just waiting untilI  I retire and then go get another job.I have friends that their employers offered dollars per hour for them just  to stay.Inflation is eating away at my net worth like a rat eating feed in a bin.We all know who is to blame regardless of the lies put out.

Hear you about the guberment jobs. I have a full, cdl with hazmat, have actual training in welding heavy diesel and small automotive repair( college degree plus 35 years experience)  licenses to run a water treatment facility for 50% of the country. In 2 years I will be certified to run any size treatment facility or distribution system. ( Los Angeles or New York City size) and my little town thinks I should be happy with a below median wage. The health insurance plan for the family is what keeps me there. Back to original subject. I hope machinery goes higher. We are in the end stages of acquiring the machinery from dads estate. It is winding way through the courts but set to be closed on dec 1 . I want a couple pieces to keep and will sell the rest on an on online auction  next year so I hope prices stay high. Best part is I ended up with everything my sister insisted was hers. So she is absolutely lost what little is left of her mind.

• Like 3