More projects, like I need anymore

td9inidaho

Back when I was a kid two neighbors had old D6? Cat dozers. Both had pony motors. We always pull started the pony motors. I didn't know they were available with electric starters! These dozens didn't have a battery or lights. I don't think there were any wires on them but I could be wrong, it was a long time ago.

One neighbor let me run his occasionally. It was difficult for me to operate as a youngster but I was on cloud 9!

Fond memories!

We have a number 12 grader at work that is pony start. As mentioned above, let the pony warm up the diesel before attempting to start it. I usually engage the drive and start spinning the diesel as soon as the pony is running good. I leave the fuel shut off and have the decompression lever pulled. The pony engines exhaust is routed through the diesels intake manifold so that helps to heat the engine. The pony also uses the same antifreeze so that will heat the diesel as well. I usually wait until the intake manifold is warm/hot to touch and open the throttle, throw the decompression and within seconds the diesel is running. I've started it when its below zero with no ether. Another important thing I was told was to shut the gas off and let the pony run out of gas when stopping it.

The electric starter on ours was six volt. I had it rebuilt a couple years ago at a starter shop and we had it converted to 12 volts, I think we had to change the armature which was worn anyway. You can put 12 volts to a six volt starter but what the starter shop told me was that the starter would engage harder because it would be running on twice the voltage and they have seen cases of the nose cones cracking because they are only held into the housing by a single set screw type bolt. We converted it to 12 volts mostly because this is a woods machine and if the battery went low I could jump it with a truck. A group 31 battery fit in the box and starts the pony every time.

Thanks all for the info and advice, procedures of starting these motors. As I said before the d-7 has been converted to a 12volt alternator, funny thing to me is how it's driven, looks to be a pulley mounted on the back of a generator 🤔, I will get pics tomorrow. 

Again thanks all for the information

Mark