WD6 to SMD cylinder head switch

7288cdn

I have a chance to buy a head for my WD6.  By the casting numbers it came off of a SMD.  I don't think changing from a W to an F makes a difference but what about it being a newer engine?  I know somewhere in that time the 9 series got larger injectors.  My 6 has the Boche diesel pump. 

The parts books show different numbers for the injectors and they break them down differently but will they fit the head?  The SM head is bare so I will have to switch the valves, guides and injectors over from my broken 6 head.  Thanks for any direction on this.    

Not many of the MD or later have the original head.  Look at the casting numbers and suffix. If you have a 8228D?, or 260869R? or 277098R1. Question mark after the D is for what letter follows. R is what number follows. Original SMD head would be 260869R3 or lower.

if you have the bosh pump your 6 is early 40's probably up to 1944.  from what i have heard is the bosh injectors and pump will interchange with the ihc pump and injectors. i have not done it to confirm this. farmall or ih it dont matter. i have a 1944  6 here with the bosh stuff. actually i sent u the picture a couple years ago. i had it running.

Hi Rustred:  I am mostly worried that they increased the size of the injector housing somewhere along the line like they did on the 9 series.  This project is taking way too long.  I advertised on the Chapter 38 page for : a running engine, a head or buy my tractor.  I got a response to all 3 but did find one locally off of an early 6.  I sent pictures of my tractor but have not heard back.  My tractor is from about the middle of 41.  It even has snap ring rims.