Metric bolts

Gearclash

I was introduced to the metric NUMBER system in 1959 in 8th grade math and have used it since.  Later in life I discovered that the deep thinkers in the French Revolution also had a 10 hour day, 10 day week and a 10 month year.  Since the calendar follows the earths clock that didn't last long.  The biggest oddity I know of is why is there a 5.5mm size bolt head or  TORX headed screws are in a class of their own. The shaft can be metric or SAE with the same head. T0 - Txx, 

6 hours ago, oleman said:

I was introduced to the metric NUMBER system in 1959 in 8th grade math and have used it since.  Later in life I discovered that the deep thinkers in the French Revolution also had a 10 hour day, 10 day week and a 10 month year.  Since the calendar follows the earths clock that didn't last long.  The biggest oddity I know of is why is there a 5.5mm size bolt head or  TORX headed screws are in a class of their own. The shaft can be metric or SAE with the same head. T0 - Txx, 

The 5.5 deep well socket was invented to remove the ignition module on 80's Ford Trucks. If you ever had one, you know what I mean😀

7 hours ago, oleman said:

Around 1960 we were still multiplying and dividing fractions in our school. I wondered why when one can simply divide the numerator by the denominator and get decimals that are easy to deal with.

For a long time I was as frustrated as anyone with the metric system in general and metric hardware in particular, but then once accepted it's really a superior system. If a company wants to sell world-wide they'd better adapt/adopt. we'll have a mix though for a long time.

On 11/17/2022 at 8:01 PM, jworley said:

My 10mm sockets got to the same place that 1/2in wrenches go. Somewhere far away from where I need them.

Do you think there's just some mythical creature that steals all them, and has the hoard in a cave somewhere, sitting on a pile of 10mm tools, like Smaug in the mountain?

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 10:08 PM, JDpartsman said:

Anyone who has worked on a Farmall H has to admit frustration with them. Harvester used Course thread, fine thread, Heavy nuts, extra thin nuts, square bolts and list goes on. 

It seems to me that it's fine thread into nuts and coarse thread into cast iron. I don't know if there are exceptions, but that's the way I think I've experienced it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KWRB said:

Do you think there's just some mythical creature that steals all them, and has the hoard in a cave somewhere, sitting on a pile of 10mm tools, like Smaug in the mountain?

The Wrench Booger, the Booger Bears cousin. (“The booger bear” in Southern means “Boogie Man”)