Jeep questions

Lazy WP

My favorite Jeep is a CJ5 with a Nash Trash V8 

The V8 rides better than the 258 because the weight is further back in the chassis  

Got a 360 in mine they make good power because they have large valve heads stock 

Now if I was to have a late module Jeep it would be this  

If it don't have a V8 its not a real Jeep

004 2022 four wheeler suv of the year jeep wrangler rubicon 392

007 2022 four wheeler suv of the year jeep wrangler rubicon 392

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

My favorite Jeep is a CJ5 with a Nash Trash V8 

The V8 rides better than the 258 because the weight is further back in the chassis  

Got a 360 in mine they make good power because they have large valve heads stock 

Now if I was to have a late module Jeep it would be this  

If it don't have a V8 its not a real Jeep

004 2022 four wheeler suv of the year jeep wrangler rubicon 392

007 2022 four wheeler suv of the year jeep wrangler rubicon 392

To quote my grandfather “thats too GD much power”

honestly i am sure its a blast to drive, but its not a big turn on to me, big power is good for breaking stuff in a jeep. One of the most impressive ones i ever saw was a TJ with a long arm kit, highline fenders and 37” tires with a 4 cylinder. Wasn’t much for top end but that baby would crawl. 

46 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

i am sure its a blast to drive, but its not a big turn on to me, big power is good for breaking stuff in a jeep.

The factory stock 304s were pretty quick for the period and the 360s and 401s bolt right in the extra displacement makes a big difference 

It  is nice to have the power for the road.  

Braking stuff has more to do with the driver 

If you cowboy anything you can break it 

22 hours ago, hardtail said:

Barsleak an option?

If they are like the Chrysler 300 we had, by the time you got enough Barsleak in it to stop the leak, you could never get any heat in the cabin. 
Stupid $80 part would have cost 3 grand to replace. 

19 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

The factory stock 304s were pretty quick for the period and the 360s and 401s bolt right in the extra displacement makes a big difference 

It  is nice to have the power for the road.  

Braking stuff has more to do with the driver 

If you cowboy anything you can break it 

The very first vehicle I owned was a '78 CJ5 Golden Eagle with the 304 V8 and 3 speed manual.  That was a lot of fun for a young kid with a school permit.  Great plenty power for something that light.  Really wish I had kept that one.

• Like 2

I had a TJ with a 5-speed behind the 4.0 six.  I really liked that Wrangler.  While it was not completely trouble-free, but it was very easy to work on.  I drove it 50K in four years and sold it for only $600 less than I paid for it.

I vowed that I will have another at some point and it will again need to be a 2-door with a manual transmission.

6 hours ago, MTB98 said:

Yes. The YJ and CJ are very similar. The original Wranglers weren’t round eyes!

That nine years or so '87 to '95 was a travesty to a lot of purists, to me it didnt really matter but true jeep guys hated those lights, a lot of other cars sported them and nobody cared but the square look with the standard slotted grill, oohh what a mistake, and I think jeep paid for it in sales also.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

The very first vehicle I owned was a '78 CJ5 Golden Eagle with the 304 V8 and 3 speed manual.  That was a lot of fun for a young kid with a school permit.  Great plenty power for something that light.  Really wish I had kept that one.

You could surprise a 5.0 Mustang of that time 

I made mine it was 79 CJ5 with a 258 3 speed

Drove by a  75 AMC station wagon for sale cheep with a 360 4v in 82 

A phone call to Leon Rosier Jeep  and I had the right motor mounts and brackets on the way

Found a 360 flywheel at a junk yard got a new clutch  and it was in on a Saturday

Put the 258 in the wagon and sold it 

That T-150 3 speed made it 10K and it lunched the input shaft then I found a T-18 four speed for it   

16 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I found this. What do you think? @vtfireman85

ACACA11F-8905-42EE-900E-9EE03763D243.png

8636A55C-543F-4255-9CF0-EC3FA8802883.png

They sell for that all day around here, as long as the frame is OK.  I was on the hunt for a Wrangler for a long time, but after looking at literally dozens of them with missing parts of the frame, I gave up. One, owned by a middle aged woman had the gas tank sitting on the rear diff. And, it was her daily driver!  She thought I was some kind of kook when I tried to explain how dangerous it was to drive that way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lazy WP said:

I found this. What do you think? @vtfireman85

ACACA11F-8905-42EE-900E-9EE03763D243.png

8636A55C-543F-4255-9CF0-EC3FA8802883.png

Its worth a look. Pull up the carpet and check the rollbar mounts, check under the skid plate on the bottom of the frame check the frame really carefully from the front of the rear spring mount back. Also check the channel that creates the body mounts underneath. Don’t worry about front fenders, those get changed every 3rd oil change around here. 
if its a 4.0 with a 5 speed its an AX 15 and a good trans, if its a 2.5 with a 5 speed it is an ax5, leave it where it is. 

YJ dont ride like a TJ but I certainly wouldn’t hesitate. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

How does a late 90's Grand Cherokee do in deep snow, like 20+"

They are an animal. I had a 98’ 4.0 Laredo. My mom has had a couple Grand Cherokee  also, 11’ and 20’ both will out perform any Subaru we have owned in snow, deep, shallow, icy whatever. I put studded snows on my wife’s vehicles and my moms grand Cherokees we’re both more impressive even with all terrain tires

• Like 1

I like the Jeep love in this thread 

Love them or hate them, any Jeep with 2 solid axles is capable of great things, as long as they aren’t rusted out, even the newer wrangler say a 2014 with the 3.6 and Mercedes transmission is begging for an LS swap, but working in it’s stock form it has almost 300 horsepower and is able to be customized in an older spirit, can’t do that with a Ford Explorer or a GMC Acadia

The Jeep Wrangler with a full frame and solid axles deserves no serious hate because it is the only one of it’s kind for years, what ever you have to do to keep it running the suspension and steering will always need attention sooner than later 

The unibody suv Jeeps are their own modern animal 

The Jeep I don’t get is the Liberty, independent front suspension and 4 link rear coil suspension, and yet it rides like a leaf sprung YJ with seized front wheel u joints 

5 hours ago, IHKeith said:

The Jeep I don’t get is the Liberty, independent front suspension and 4 link rear coil suspension, and yet it rides like a leaf sprung YJ with seized front wheel u joints 

True that! And a gutless turd with the 3.7! The seats were awful. Mom had an 09’ lifetime warranty. She gave it to my brother when he went of to college because his XJ was deemed too unreliable. Hadn’t broken down to my knowledge and that one was rock solid. He peddled it on graduation day practically and bought a tacoma… because he is an idiot.

My first was a 63’ CJ-5 with implanted Buick 225 v6 from a later CJ coupled to a Ford T-18 4spd. 5.38 axle gears and lockers would get you in trouble. It either went forward or straight down. 😊. Paint job was my idea. The half cab was really nice. 

3C83EEE5-0DE1-4504-97BD-B89DA1EAD43F.jpeg

• Like 3

Liberty was originally designed to be the 'girls jeep'  then because it was too small, got upsized a bit for 'dudes'.  Still the 3.7 didn't do it any favors, and the Daimler side of things (before they bailed on the company) really cheapened the 2nd gen Lib out of what should have been a decent product.  Still seemed to sell pretty well though.

Look at any of the roughly '06-10 DCX stuff.  TERRIBLE interiors.  Minimal investment.  Truly a disappointment to what those products could have been.