Black stripes

IH Fever

My 1466 Serial Number is 27999 and the First Black Stripe is 28897. My 1466 is 898 away from the First Black Stripe.

I hope we here from Long Farms sometime soon. I always look forward to seeing his posts.

Other than the Black Stripe, Serial Number Tag Location and 3 Point Hitch Style, what are the Other Differences between the White 66 Series and Black Stripes?

2 hours ago, btred1466 said:

Other than the Black Stripe, Serial Number Tag Location and 3 Point Hitch Style, what are the Other Differences between the White 66 Series and Black Stripes?

1) At some point during the Black Stripe production run, didn’t they start using the different design rear axle housing castings which were destined to go on the ‘86 series?

2) Didn’t they bump the Engine RPM rating up to 2,600 RPM on Black Stripes, up from 2,400 RPM on the white panels?

3) When did the later heavier one piece draw bars appear?

4) At some point in the Black Stripe production run, Black Stripes got the 6 hole rear wheel castings that also went on the ‘86 series, instead of the 12 hole rear wheel castings of earlier ‘66 series.

5) OK this one I’m not totally sure about- I thought that Black Stripes are when they switched over to getting all black seats rather than black and white seats. Someone please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong on this. I’d love to know for certain myself one way or the other. 

There’s probably more stuff. Maybe someone more expert will come on to say.

Here’s a piccy of my restored now ex 1976 Black Stripe 1466, in Michigan, shortly before I sold it due to moving to Texas. I sure do miss it. Serial # 30313. It had all those  aforementioned production updates / changes on it. 

D61D2755-3AAA-4084-940D-5F3E9278CC02.jpeg

• Like 1

The All black seat theroy isn't right we had a '73 yr 966 bought new that had a factory all black seat it had a cab also wonder if that was a reason for an all black seat

36 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Believe the 2600 RPM bump was done in '73. I remember that one from being "corrected, with prejudice" for saying it was a black stripe thing...

Correct.

The RPM bump preceded the black stripe introduction by several years.   We have a 766 and had a 1066, both pre black stripe.  The 1066 had the 2400 rpm rating and the 766 2600.  

9 hours ago, btred1466 said:

, Serial Number Tag Location and 3 Point Hitch Style, what are the Other Differences between the White 66 Series and Black Stripes?

Neither one of those signify whether one is a true black stripe or not....

There are published serial # breaks that tell when the first black stripes started. Easy-peasy...

Travis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

My draw bar has a step cut out of it, last 5-6” or so, tail end.  It’s about 1/4” thinner there.  That correct? I’ve never looked for the part number on it.  Straight drawbar on our older 1466 doesn’t have it, but it’s not as wide as this one either 

Our '75 true black stripe 1566 had the heavy single piece drawbar that was machined slightly thinner at the back also. Was a factory cab dual PTO when we got it. PTO was Goofy as they had wrong handle and the direction was backwards to engage 

3 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I've got 1066 black stripe #19 based on serial number.

Has: Black seat, heavy drawbar, 66 series axle housings and hubs, serial tag on the left bell housing

Believe the 2600 RPM bump was done in '73. I remember that one from being "corrected, with prejudice" for saying it was a black stripe thing...

Must be a '75 with that # 

1 hour ago, bitty said:

Must be a '75 with that # 

Yes. For the better part of 40 years I believed the tractor was a '76 and could have sworn the serial tag was in the "correct" black stripe location down on the right hand side of the transmission housing.

A couple of years ago, Dad says, "Oh no, it's a 75." Then I saw the serial tag on the left. Then I found out it was the 19th one off the line.

• Like 1

In the last issue of RPM they list the low and high serial numbers. 66 series numbers;

666, 16,949 a gas tractor

766, 18,313

966, 38,039

1066, 62,048

1466, 32,174

1566, 14,344

Hydro 100, 12,847

Included the 666 just for fun. These are just the highest recorded not necessarily the last ones off the line.

• Like 1