These Locomotives May Never Run Again

Art From Coleman

The restoration process will prove to be too costly, the museum/club will go bankrupt, and the locomotives will be sold for scrap, UNLESS the Union Pacific retained the right to recover ownership of them, should the museum/club prove unable to complete the restorations.

• Thanks 2

Been keeping tabs on it. Union Pacific donated the 2 steam locomotives, a DD40X diesel loco, and a bunch of rolling stock. And 1 diesel F type Loco to Boone and Scenic Valley RR in Boone IA. 

The new owners RRHMA (RailRoading History of Midwest America) plan to put all locos back to operating condition. I believe 3985 is first on the list. 

Yes it will take a lot of time and money. But hasn't been the first Loco they have rebuilt and restored. 

From what I have read, Union Pacific can still recover ownership, but will have to reimburse RRHMA of all time and money spent on them. 

The tender that is on Big Boy 4014 is supposed to be with Challenger 3985. They are sending the tender that is currently with 3985 to be rebuilt and converted to oil, and then UP will switch the tenders back to the correct engines. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They probably never would have run again where they were. What's the difference?

At least now they might get put on display where people can see them, rather than being hidden away in a barn.

I'm surprised that they let the challenger go because that was supposedly they were going to jump right on it when the big boy was done.

My dad was the brakeman on the U.P. 8444 excursion, Nampa, Id to LaGrande, Or, in the mid 70s. Pretty impressive loco. It comes through on the OSL every few years by my place. 

• Like 1