I got suckered.

wild one

For some stupid reason the last year or so I decided I should have a Farmall 350. Why I am not really sure. Watched some sell at local auctions and thought they were selling too high so I kept looking and found a well used one on a online auction that just said buy me. I got it home and it is very well used and also very straight. Runs pretty good, but the carb leaks a lot. I was about to order a carb kit, but thought I best get some numbers off the carb first. I found some numbers on the carb 6212-DB and after a quick search online the number comes up as a Farmall H carb. Hmm, you don't suppose someone put an H engine in this thing??? Check for numbers on the block:FBH-99156. From what I find that's a H engine. Now I really did want that C179 engine so I expect the search is on. I do have another old H that could really use a transplant, so maybe not all is lost. It will probably drive me nuts,but I think this thing that said buy me is now in for a redo. That beat and abused and discarded old 350 is in need of some help. Not sure if I want that new glossy paint job that shines more than new,but I would like to have the correct engine,not that the engine in it now will not do what I want it for. Too bad I don't listen to my own advice. I tell my boys its far cheaper in the end to buy the best kept piece of equipment you can find than the beater that needs work.

9 hours ago, wild one said:

. I tell my boys its far cheaper in the end to buy the best kept piece of equipment you can find than the beater that needs work.

When you're talking about a 65-70+ yr old piece of equipment....good luck. There is no way anyone can tell you that it was the best kept piece of equipment or the worst.

Lots of time has passed, lots of good times, lots of hard times. Just do your research before buying and deal with what you buy. It's all repairable.

Now...the engine in your 350....does it actually say 152 or 164 somewhere on the block? There is lots and lots of bad information on the internet, (along with some good, too), but my book shows it should have a C175...not a C179 (perhaps a typo?)

Travis

9 hours ago, wild one said:

For some stupid reason the last year or so I decided I should have a Farmall 350. Why I am not really sure. Watched some sell at local auctions and thought they were selling too high so I kept looking and found a well used one on a online auction that just said buy me. I got it home and it is very well used and also very straight. Runs pretty good, but the carb leaks a lot. I was about to order a carb kit, but thought I best get some numbers off the carb first. I found some numbers on the carb 6212-DB and after a quick search online the number comes up as a Farmall H carb. Hmm, you don't suppose someone put an H engine in this thing??? Check for numbers on the block:FBH-99156. From what I find that's a H engine. Now I really did want that C179 engine so I expect the search is on. I do have another old H that could really use a transplant, so maybe not all is lost. It will probably drive me nuts,but I think this thing that said buy me is now in for a redo. That beat and abused and discarded old 350 is in need of some help. Not sure if I want that new glossy paint job that shines more than new,but I would like to have the correct engine,not that the engine in it now will not do what I want it for. Too bad I don't listen to my own advice. I tell my boys its far cheaper in the end to buy the best kept piece of equipment you can find than the beater that needs work.

Sounds like you have a running, driving tractor that seems to need a little restoration. That's the whole point of this hobby, or so I thought. Ok, so the engine may or may not be correct to the tractor. Your FBH-99156 doesn't cross to a darn thing in any of my books, not saying it isn't stamped on there, but that it simply doesn't cross. You need to look on the block (on the distributor side, toward the back near where the block and head meet) and see what is stamped on it, C152, 169, or 175 will be your options. You may have to scrape some paint/rust off to see it good. A C179 was never offered to my knowledge. As far as the carb, an H carb will fit a 350 manifold; if you don't want to rebuild the H carb, you can always get one for a 300/350. It'll bold right up and should give you a bit more power as well. Good luck!

Mac

Its looks like you have a relatively old H engine in your tractor not a real problem but a little frustrating, heck I had a 400 I used for twenty years before I found out it had a M engine in it still does and works fine for my use. By the way an H carb will not bolt on a 300 - 350 manifold but an H carb and manifold will bolt on, but you may need a different governor cross shaft of that I am not sure.

• Like 1

This may not be the right thing to say ,but don’t beat yourself up about this . Enjoy the tractor. In fact you might get c179 out of the clear blue someday , who knows . Then what ? Have fun ! 

• Like 1

FBH is the prefix for a H block and the serial number following is the engine serial number for a 1942 engine. Unless the hydraulic pump has some adapting the front engine cover was changed. If it has a dipstick it was added.  C-175 block will have C-175 on side above oil filter. Other than early C-169 blocks casting number ending in R1 the rest of C-169 and C-175 casting numbers ended in R2 and were the same except when built 300 blocks had C-169.  Pretty much the same engines. Maybe the biggest difference is part of the C-169 used a connecting rod like a H. Rest of C-169 and all C-175 used a rod with smaller piston pin end. Wasn't long before IH was selling the same piston and sleeve set for all. If engine had the H size piston pin end a adapter bushing was used to use the smaller piston pin. They did change the camshaft gear during C-169 production and camshaft nut to left hand threads during C-175 production but camshaft had the same specs other than thread change. Comparing a gas C-175 and C-169 some few other differences was a carburetor number ending with R1 on early C-169 and IH had a recall to change them to R2 like the rest built but all didn't get it done. Shortly after C-175 started the intake exhaust manifold was changed a little. Another notch was added to front crankshaft pulley for time check on LP engines along the way. Blocks castings ending with R1 didn't come with dipsticks.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, R190 said:

By the way an H carb will not bolt on a 300 - 350 manifold but an H carb and manifold will bolt on, but you may need a different governor cross shaft of that I am not sure.

Really? I'm almost 99% sure Dad stuck a 300 carb on the old H back in the day, but then again I was just a kid and might've misunderstood. Am I wrong in saying that a 300/350 manifold will bolt up to an H/SH engine? 

2 hours ago, DWV said:

FBH is the prefix for a H block and the serial number following is the engine serial number for a 1942 engine.

Out of curiosity, where did you find that? Not doubting you, mind, I'd just like to add to my knowledge. 

Mac

the replacement manifolds work for both carbs so it's possible your Dad put a 300 carb on an H without any governor changes. I don't care for those manifolds with the big flange and slotted holes but they are what they are

I have a C175 complete I would sell but its a fair drive- probably could get it to mid-Michigan for you

4 hours ago, MacAR said:

Really? I'm almost 99% sure Dad stuck a 300 carb on the old H back in the day, but then again I was just a kid and might've misunderstood. Am I wrong in saying that a 300/350 manifold will bolt up to an H/SH engine? 

Out of curiosity, where did you find that? Not doubting you, mind, I'd just like to add to my knowledge. 

Mac

Information is in the introduction pages of a H parts book. IH intended chassis and engine serial numbers for H to match. Serial number is for a 42 model found in H serial number lists. Picture of part of introduction.  Block will probably have a letter K for 1941 year cast since it went into a early 42 chassis or L for year 42. Dave

DSCN1444.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots of good information here, hope I can remember some of it. I had hoped I was getting the C175, but I guess not.I don't think the seller was aware it did not have the correct engine. He had bought the tractor a few years ago from a relative who was an IH collector, became ill and was unable to pursue his hobby any longer. The seller purchased several of his tractors and decided to sell the 350 after being offered a fully restored 350. The tractor I have may have been a bit of a parts tractor.The center  hood was probably from a 400 series, cut and shortened, and would have worked well if it had been welded straight and the center bolt holes re drilled.

Some pictures of the engine. Modified governor linkage,that seems to wok well.

Could a C175 head have been put on the old  H block?

The tractor has spin out rims. Was that a popular option?

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

• Like 1

More 350 around without spinouts but wouldn't call them rare. 350 head will work on a H. Don't know if they put the 350 valve cover on with pipe out top of it to air intake. If head has a 1/4 pipe pug in rear of head it's probably not a 350 head. One exception would be a replacement head for a H through 350. Head date code would give some idea. Picture of a 400 -450 date code 4-26-B on a 400 head for reference.  Lot of H through 350 heads have one in the same area. 300 through 350 would have the letter Z, A, B, C or D unless a later replacement head. Original H gas manifold on engine, but engine serial number indicates it didn't start out as a gasoline.

DSCN1436.JPG

• Like 2

too bad the guy who swapped the engine didn't use the 350 governor , manifold and carb. If it has Firecraters in it you may have not noticed the engine was smaller The governor on that tractor is the H one , that's why the rod is modified. The only difference is the control lever. the Letter Series H and Ms only used the round arm

I have a centre section for the hood if you want an original , control lever as well

DSCI1446.JPG

I had a similar situation a few years ago with a Super H.  It was 5 hours away from home.  I was not sure if the engine was right, the carburetor looked like an H instead in the fuzzy picture online.  He assured me that it was....  Arrived to find an H engine block, manifold and carburetor with a Super H cylinder head.  The hood had been switched since the photos were taken with a garbage hood.  I was ready to leave! 

However, the tires were brand new:  front and rear.  The rims were good.  The engine ran like a top and the transmission was quiet when I drove it.  I questioned him about the replacement engine block and he finally confessed that it was machined out with Super H pistons.   Still, he wanted top dollar and the engine block was wrong.  I offered him less for the engine block being wrong and the manifold and carburetor missing. He hesitated and then disappeared into his shop.  He returned with the proper manifold and carburetor!  Okay, but what happened to the hood?  He retraced his steps into the shop again and returned with the hood and the missing headlights.  The hood had been cut up to fit an alternator.   I asked him for it anyway. Could use the crappy one on the tractor to fix it.   He finally agreed to take $500. less.  Then he said he needed to keep his battery.  I took $50. off the stack of bills.   He agreed and I loaded up and left that snake behind!

I did look inside the engine at home and the pistons are M&W oversized.  So, I am happy with the tractor.   But, I would never advertise the block as correct to the tractor. 

• Like 3

And I am the guy who found a Super H engine overhauled it and put it into a regular H as well as adding a hydraulic pump off a 300 and plumbing it like an M&W setup. Not to mention I put the 300 bolster on it so I could put my frame weights on. I will say no other H will hang with it at a plow day!

• Like 3