Rolling rice

acem

Hard to understand the soil profile there compared to what we are used to.  Here any sort of wet usually means stuck or deep ruts.  Thanks for sharing.

Ace, can you explain the "what and why" of 'rolling rice'?    

• Like 1

The ground rarely freezes here so the ground can develop quite a hard pan. This is alluvial clay soil.

I roll the rice stubble for contact with the water and ground. It will decompose over the winter and early spring. Otherwise it is a big mess to deal with all the residue.

Additional it opens up the paddy for ducks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Pretty neat. Looks like your 4366 was hunting as it had an orange cap on 😁

• Haha 1

The roller is heavy but you could fill it with water. It weights round 5,000 lb empty. 

It's deer season so I wear "I am not a deer" all the time im outside.

Like corn, wheat, etc, rice can be mono croped. As always,   a rotation is beneficial in controlling Weeds and diseases. Much of the rice near Stuttgart is grown on the Grand Prarie. These soils hold water but are silt load and can be drained easily. They rotate well with soybeans and in some places wheat and corn. Most of my fields I grow rice on are alluvial clay and flood occasionally. The are well suited to rice but soybeans are very risky. Milo and sudan are ok. Wheat and corn struggle in these fields.

Many farmers have converted fields like mine to zero grade. Just one big level field without levees. The rice does really well but everything else suffers so they tend to mono crop rice. Barnyard grass, signal grass, sprangletop, etc become difficult to control.

In California they plant into the water and never let it dry up to keep the grass from germinating. I believe they mono crop rice.

In Southern Louisiana they often raise crawfish in rotation.

In Texas they raise cattle in rotation.

In Florida rice is a rotation crop for sugar cane.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Catfish used to be big business but not so much anymore. Tilapia and other Asian imports has shrunk the US Catfish industry substantially.

When Catfish was big business they would use rice as a rotation for the Catfish. Little if any fertilizer was needed after raising Catfish.

https://mississippitoday.org/2021/06/21/mississippi-is-losing-the-catfish-wars/

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

Hopefully you can find a volunteer to hook up a chain to the 3 point hitch and put pin back in . Or else make sure that you have good boots on 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

I've planted a lot of pins off all types. Have yet to harvest any.

My dad lost his wallet disking in the mid 80's , my cousin found it roller harrowing .... 

• Haha 1

Sometimes the floating residue will ball up in front instead of going under.  If I notice in time I can make a circle and it will flow out the side. You can see me doing that in the video in the first post. Otherwise it can ball up and you have to back out from it.

If I had a snake chomper the residue would go under better. See pic below.

I sometimes pull it with my 1066 dualed up but it takes a great operator. It's easy peasy to run with the 4366.  It's the traction and flotation that helps, not the power.

image.png.7062ec5c5ca2c8cd8bb8985a073327a7.png

Around here, that kind of water would put you in up to the hubs in the first 100 yards. (or less) and you aren't getting out till it dries.

• Like 1

I haven't decided if that looks like fun or not! It just goes against everything I know about soil management!! Different ground, I know. If we plowed our heavy clay with just a bit too much moisture, I had to make at least 4 passes with the cultivator and heavy packers just to try and save it in the spring!

13 hours ago, acem said:

Sometimes the floating residue will ball up in front instead of going under.  If I notice in time I can make a circle and it will flow out the side. You can see me doing that in the video in the first post. Otherwise it can ball up and you have to back out from it.

If I had a snake chomper the residue would go under better. See pic below.

I sometimes pull it with my 1066 dualed up but it takes a great operator. It's easy peasy to run with the 4366.  It's the traction and flotation that helps, not the power.

image.png.7062ec5c5ca2c8cd8bb8985a073327a7.png

Snake chomper .....  I like that idea 

Interesting. It looks like fun! So is the water controlled? In the spring will it be dry and rice planted?