Rant

Finney

Have a new excavator to put grouser bars on and a feed bucket to replace the cutting edge. Started calling 3 weeks ago to get prices and lead times. Yep we got them, okay send price including shipping to me and lead time. No response, called back in a couple of days, no response. This went on until this past Wednesday. A friend said try this place in TN, called and told them what I need, they said when do you want them, I told them asap. They delivered yesterday. Yes I paid more but I have them in hand.

Last month I ordered a new gas powered air compressor from the local John Deere dealer. Called them Monday to check. They said they had no record of me calling.

How hard is it to do your job, if you cannot deliver just say so. I know I am a small operator in this world but my money spends as good as the big operators.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Our company came up with this lean initiative where you purge all your low turnover stock and establish good relationships with your suppliers a couple years ago and voiced my concerns

Talk about poor timing, this goes against my personal habits of a hoarder which I admit presents other challenges but suppliers here reduced inventory a couple decades ago and this GSC thing makes it impossible to differentiate between what's real and an excuse for not caring about your job and your customers, so we plod along, really makes you appreciate your good suppliers but they are a tiny fraction of the scope you need to function properly 

Obviously the guys selling these ideas and convincing upper management didn't work long in the deliverables end of things

It’s just a statement about the work ethic anymore. Too few people really care. When I tell people that work for me to get serious the response I often get is “Why should I care, I just work here. I don’t own the place”. I have fired a lot of guys in the last ten years and almost every one of them was shocked when I told them I was sick of their nonsense and to just leave. 

• Like 4

I agree 100% with everyone above. Have the same issues trying to run my shop. Kind of lucky here as there are 4 other steel shops within a 10 mile radius. Technically all of us are competing shops, but all get along well and are able to trade material back and forth when one of us needs something in a timely manner that can’t be provided by our outside suppliers. Also helpful when you need as small piece of some odd sized material rather than having to sit on a large piece of cut off that could hang around for years before it would get used

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well so many times people get paid a salary and there is NO incentive to excell.Farmers,self employed and business owners all have a incentive to work hard and produce. Its called SURVIVAL. In sales no incentive is a bad thing. I know people don't like salesmen getting a commission from them buying a product but if it's not sold the manufacturers can't make it and you can't buy what you need.Too many farm equipment dealers pay zero to nothing in commissions to their sales people and it shows in the service.I have been totally commission salesman before and made more money for myself, sold more for the Bobcat dealer in 6 months than he did in two years and customers were reached and satisfied. Everyone won. 

• Like 1

I'm sure suppliers have no complaints

orders never picked up

looking up part numbers and pricing for people who then make their purchase online

listening to people gripe about prices they don't control

people waiting till the last minute and want it now

returns that are used like its a rental store

• Like 2

Destroyed an $1150 dollar assembly on a baler this week Monday.  Figured out what I needed, called the dealer, yup, we actually have that # coming already for our own stock.  Should be here tomorrow.  Excellent; figured they would call when it came.  Next day came and went, no call.  Hmm.  Better see what’s going on.  “Yea, the truck the parts were on broke down we were told.  Then the backup truck broke down too.”  Insert eye roll here.  Whatever.  Finally got the parts this morning.  

Some simple items I ordered for the same machine a month ago are still on back order.  

For the just-in-time advocates, listen very carefully: EFFICIENCY COSTS MONEY!!!  Somewhere, some how, some time!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hardtail said:

Our company came up with this lean initiative where you purge all your low turnover stock and establish good relationships with your suppliers a couple years ago and voiced my concerns

Down our ranch road on a Sunday afternoon is where you really get to appreciate that just in time supply only works if things arrive just in time

7 hours ago, Finney said:

Last month I ordered a new gas powered air compressor from the local John Deere dealer. Called them Monday to check. They said they had no record of me calling.

Your JD dealer did you a favor.  Those things are $h!t.  

10 hours ago, Finney said:

Have a new excavator to put grouser bars on and a feed bucket to replace the cutting edge. Started calling 3 weeks ago to get prices and lead times. Yep we got them, okay send price including shipping to me and lead time. No response, called back in a couple of days, no response. This went on until this past Wednesday. A friend said try this place in TN, called and told them what I need, they said when do you want them, I told them asap. They delivered yesterday. Yes I paid more but I have them in hand.

How hard is it to do your job, if you cannot deliver just say so. I know I am a small operator in this world but my money spends as good as the big operators.

I understand.  Seems like lead time is double for everything.  Luckily the steel place we work with has top notch customer service.  Have had lots of trouble getting filters.  Never stocked truck brakes and drums ( just bought them as needed) but we keep some  now.  In case the John Deere air compressor doesn’t work out we have a Gardner Denver and a IR T30 gas air compressor that have worked very well.  

It can be frustrating getting supplies, these days especially

Staffing shortages are widespread, my kid's bus was cancelled twice last week because there was no driver

I went to 3 local stores to source a couple hundred feet of 4" drainage tile, some tees and elbows, the last stop was able to order the 4" to 6" adapter, they get deliveries from that supplier usually Tuesdays and Thursdays, I ordered on Tuesday, no driver for Thursday, didn't get the trench filled before the rain, my Dad said I could try the local farm drainage company, maybe I should have gone to them first, the Home Hardware store I ordered it from is good, they had an excellent selection of 4" pieces and were the only ones to offer ordering the adapter, Home Depot was the first stop because they were the only one with enough socked tile in stock, the guy who directed me to it's whereabouts looked plenty busy, next stop was the Rona, guy there was busy putting away inventory, walked me to the tile fittings section, a customer was at the unoccupied hardware service desk as we passed by, looking for a key cut, the guy helping me paged for someone and then continued to show me to the place, I thanked him and he went on his way, on my way to the cash I saw him cutting the key, and the job he was busy at when I interrupted him wasn't getting done, if I drove around for a whole day burning $1.92 a liter super and more valuable time time I'd probably find an adapter, and if the truck showed up Thursday with my adapter I would have had my trench back filled before the rain, and Cheryl at the lumber desk did her job well, I wouldn't feel right telling her I found another one when she called, hopefully this coming Tuesday

We can't get angry at the ones who show up to work everyday, try hard and deal with customer's disappointment of supply chain issues daily   

A demo derby I ran years back had a big purse for the V8 modified class, 4-6000 for first kind of money, there was something like 8-12 cars showed up for the class, at the driver's meeting the promoter was voicing his disappointment vehemently with the low turn out vs the big prize, but he was complaining to the people who showed up

Crazy times these days

7 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Im considering driving 40 miles to go buy 3-4 pairs of size 13 green lacrosse boots.    Local places stopped carrying them few years ago, hard to find online. They’re just boots, but you can’t get them here.  
Pioneer hyd tips, the super common ones, aren’t easy to find either 

https://www.lacrossefootwear.com/
Order direct from Lacrosse. 
Amazon, among others, has all kinds of hydraulic fittings available. 
I don’t drive around looking for stuff, just order it to be delivered. 

Sterling ih did something close to that to me . Waited a week for my parts ,called them back , never ordered. I don’t think I ever went back there ,went to Messicks. Have not had any problems since. 
I don’t care why it happen , not my fault . It is my fault if I repeat it and same thing happens . Mistakes are made yep ! 

My wife sold a new engine for a complete engine swap from Cummins to Cat. Nearly 65 grand. Guy paid for everything through her and she ordered the conversion kit from an outfit in Oregon. They screwed up something up on the shipping numbers and didn’t let her know on Thursday. Were not open on Veterans Day. 
The guy who bought the motor had an entire shop booked so his truck was only going to be down over the weekend. Now he will be dow for 7 days plus he has to pay the shop for all of the mechanics overtime!!

• Sad 2

29 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

My wife sold a new engine for a complete engine swap from Cummins to Cat. Nearly 65 grand. Guy paid for everything through her and she ordered the conversion kit from an outfit in Oregon. They screwed up something up on the shipping numbers and didn’t let her know on Thursday. Were not open on Veterans Day. 
The guy who bought the motor had an entire shop booked so his truck was only going to be down over the weekend. Now he will be dow for 7 days plus he has to pay the shop for all of the mechanics overtime!!

Serious consequences for the mistake

25 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

You might as well forget projects like that these days. My luck is everything shows up except a critical snap ring that can’t be found anywhere and blows up the whole project on Friday night before a three day weekend. We don’t start cutting parts off of the equipment like we used to until we find out if we can even get a new one. Sad. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Serious consequences for the mistake

Never assume anything anymore?

Check, double check and triple check to make sure things work as promised.

Big projects suck as you know something is going to bite you in the butt.

It always does.