Farmall 300 C169 block repair

KDoersom

On working on my sons Farmall 300 we were getting water in the number 1 cylinder. Today we found a crack in the sleeve that appears to be where the water is coming from. 

Since the C169 is a dry sleeved engine I’m assuming there is a crack in the blocks water jacket. 

The crack is on the rear of the number 1 cylinder  

So the question is can this have a repair sleeve installed to fix the issue if the crack isn’t to bad in the block.  What’s your opinion? 

15A08264-50FA-4D44-8145-2A1B2F54FEC5.jpeg

I'd try to get a good used block , should be easily available. Once a crack starts it's hard to keep from spreading 

• Like 1

You need to pull that sleeve first to see if the block is cracked.

Then take the bare block and that cracked sleeve to your machinist and see what the expert says.

Jdpartsman also agrees!

A good shop could weld the block up, and then all you'd have to do is get a set of sleeves. If the block can be saved, go ahead and bore it to accept the C175 sleeves. Worst case, another block would be easy found. Go ahead and put a C175 in it if you do have to replace it, you'll get a bit more power that way.

Mac

OK, although I am not a senior 🐺 am I having senior's moment? the parent bore of a C169 and C175 are the same 

I have a c169 and  a C175 both running engines that smoke I will sell if you are afraid of the repair sleeve.........its a common practice though nothing to be concerned about

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, hillman said:

OK, although I am not a senior 🐺 am I having senior's moment? the parent bore of a C169 and C175 are the same 

I have a c169 and  a C175 both running engines that smoke I will sell if you are afraid of the repair sleeve.........its a common practice though nothing to be concerned about

Well I guess I qualify but no excuse. Thanks

2 hours ago, hillman said:

I'm not a senior either, but it seems I had a moment as well. I'm fairly certain you're correct, and if it wasn't so bloody cold I'd slip out to the shop and consult my shop manual to verify as much. 

Mac