Tool ID thread

Sledgehammer

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

What’s it? I believe the inside is smooth, as in it isn’t a wrench. I think it says 22139

IMG_2779.jpeg

IMG_2778.jpeg

IMG_2777.jpeg

I’d say it is a spanner style wrench for something large (American version) vs our Aussie/NZ friends who have a slightly different definition. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sledgehammer said:

I’d say it is a spanner style wrench for something large (American version) vs our Aussie/NZ friends who have a slightly different definition. 

I would have said a wrench but the hole is smooth, I believe it’s cast into it rather than bored there. 

7 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Ours look entirely different 

..once you blokes placed the ''steering  wheel'' on the wrong side..instead of the right side....thats when all these vexed issues of   nomenclature arose....

...it s a worry, alright.....and somehow you blokes turned the quite graceful word   ...''Spanner ''  into that  low caste word that  reeks of  colonial guilt ...to wit :   ''Wrench ''.....

Yes...the linguistic   turmoil  that the good ol' US of A , has found itself in  is quite something.....perhaps not yet as bad as the fiscal turmoil...but that, as they say,  is another story..

Good Morning America  ...:)

Mike

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, mike newman said:

..once you blokes placed the ''steering  wheel'' on the wrong side..instead of the right side....thats when all these vexed issues of   nomenclature arose....

...it s a worry, alright.....and somehow you blokes turned the quite graceful word   ...''Spanner ''  into that  low caste word that  reeks of  colonial guilt ...to wit :   ''Wrench ''.....

Yes...the linguistic   turmoil  that the good ol' US of A , has found itself in  is quite something.....perhaps not yet as bad as the fiscal turmoil...but that, as they say,  is another story..

Good Morning America  ...:)

Mike

That’s how i know what a classy guy you are Mike, you can use “To Wit” in a sentence. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

That’s how i know what a classy guy you are Mike, you can use “To Wit” in a sentence. 

.......are you suggesting, Seth, that on the great evolutionary ladder, that a mere ''digger'' driver may be a rung or three above a ''Sparkie "'???

..most folks I know think of a ''digger''' driver is still  searching for the bottom rung of that particular ladder.....:(

8 hours ago, int 504 said:

How does that compare to half wit? is it 4 times more ?

..I would like to move on from that question   @int 504.....it could well create more questions than answers....There is  yet another ""****    wit "" that we use down under..it could get personal...:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, hardtail said:

2 and half I think it's the same 🤔🤣

Ok  ok Lance.  .please stand back and let the dust settle   on this one... I suspect the VT Fireperson  is giving my old chain a bit of a pull....sigh   (it happens when one is old  and frail , you know.....:unsure: ...and it is always   a ''wrench  '  ) 

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/11/2023 at 6:54 PM, vtfireman85 said:

What’s it? I believe the inside is smooth, as in it isn’t a wrench. I think it says 22139

IMG_2779.jpeg

IMG_2778.jpeg

IMG_2777.jpeg

It's a type of valve wrench. Think about it as a big cheater bar for force multiplication.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2023 at 9:07 PM, Jake19917561 said:

Anybody recognize what this crimps? Found it buried in a shed I just tore down. 

IMG_6591.jpeg

IMG_6592.jpeg

IMG_6593.jpeg

Those resemble a telephone company punch down tool, but i cant quite make sense of how they would work.

7 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Found this in my picture cache

Not sure where I got it

Any idea it's specialty

1701299632837.png.504bf96eefd66d275234daed6b453526.png

Made that way, not cobbled up.  Looks like a great tool for tearing down a barn. Hammer end, pick, and nail puller for removing things. Just a guess though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Found this in my picture cache

Not sure where I got it

Any idea it's specialty

1701299632837.png.504bf96eefd66d275234daed6b453526.png

Looks like the jack of all trades hammer. Maybe Jack Hammer?

I wonder if anyone ever hit the side of their head with the nail puller projection?

Cool find

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 7:07 PM, Sledgehammer said:

I know what this is but I’ve never seen anything like it. Referencing the fully threaded wedge screw. I picked this up locally because I like Plumb branded hammers for their quality. This one has the original handle and was in good shape along with a cheap price tag so I brought it home. I was going to tighten the head up with a new wedge but all I had to do was tighten the screw. I assumed this was done later but I now think it was original. Pretty cool idea and it actually works. Ever seen anything like it?

28C8B193-3E3E-4778-AFC8-878078B66247.jpeg

6D9E720B-09D0-47CD-ACAF-9FDA68E20E83.jpeg

49546938-4B3F-4B91-B2B9-7CBBDE740A82.jpeg

8A6B1B03-452F-4CC4-9771-56FCB224A3A2.jpeg

On 10/23/2023 at 7:36 AM, Sledgehammer said:

Here’s a strange one. It came in a lot with something else I bought several years ago. Plumb branded ball pein with to balls 😊 My guess is for stretching metal but I don’t know for sure. 

9663431A-6826-4665-B335-94CD2C73E2E7.jpeg

599E5716-2608-49D5-A56E-57D1975CFA64.jpeg

E93ADBBE-1613-4BB2-BA61-8B90EA8290A3.jpeg

C4F91194-73DB-466C-AE16-B451D42CD476.jpeg

This a nice design. It reminds me of the plugs used to fix cracks in engine heads and such. The gas start diesel TD9 I have has a dozen or better in the head.

The guy that needed  that hammer probably had a rack of them just a little different every one. My wife cared for an elderly artist that was trained in Italy in the art of repousse . She had rack of similar, gauging down to quite small. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know what this is but found a different variation. Cast steel and simple. These work really well. I’ve seen a few and already had one. This one is offset. Would that have been for close up work vs the straight handle? It has a groove so you can use a square taper shank file in both. It’s cast so just being bent isn’t the reason. Anyway. I found it interesting. It may get a chainsaw file shortly. 

84D52F16-1FFE-4C6A-9832-D253E44FF6C0.jpeg

E8C31066-9E67-4D1D-AEC8-0CD8E8762332.jpeg

2FE66C41-A26D-48AE-A19C-486AE6A55221.jpeg

Ive never heard of Kearny & Foot for a brand of files either 

C0854C2C-DB70-471E-9914-6E8DD73A3496.jpeg

• Like 4

On 12/1/2023 at 11:16 AM, just Dave said:

I wonder if anyone ever hit the side of their head with the nail puller projection?

Ive heard stories of shingle hammer accidents, make my stomach turn. 
my 4th year electrical teacher was stapling wire under a cabinet, holding it he hammer with both hands, missed and got himself square in the forehead, he looked like Yosemite Sam after a mallet battle, went around singing “I Am The Egg Man” 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Ive heard stories of shingle hammer accidents, make my stomach turn. 
my 4th year electrical teacher was stapling wire under a cabinet, holding it he hammer with both hands, missed and got himself square in the forehead, he looked like Yosemite Sam after a mallet battle, went around singing “I Am The Egg Man” 

I don't mean to make light of this at at all but..................

Legend is told around campfires late at night here of a local high school girl that was pretty, but not, um, overly blessed with brain cells🙄

Well, she went out fencing with her boyfriend one weekend. 🥰

On a 10,000 acre ranch, she managed to position herself perfectly to catch his backswing of a pair of fencing pliers with her forehead🤕

Drew some blood, gave her a cute little dimple, but didn't lower her IQ any. 😃

Sadly, didn't raise it either. 😪

🤣🤠 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

I don't mean to make light of this at at all but..................

Legend is told around campfires late at night here of a local high school girl that was pretty, but not, um, overly blessed with brain cells🙄

Well, she went out fencing with her boyfriend one weekend. 🥰

On a 10,000 acre ranch, she managed to position herself perfectly to catch his backswing of a pair of fencing pliers with her forehead🤕

Drew some blood, gave her a cute little dimple, but didn't lower her IQ any. 😃

Sadly, didn't raise it either. 😪

🤣🤠 

Legend huh? Might you have first hand knowledge? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1