Tool ID thread

Sledgehammer

I have seen several people post “tool ID” topics. I enjoy them and thought maybe we could have a place for such things. I picked up a few things lately that I’m not sure about so I will start. Anyone feel free to add what they want us to try and figure out.  What is common here may be scarce somewhere else. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I know they are scissors but I’ve never seen any like them. Spring loaded opening. Did they have a specific purpose?

F7D60EAE-AA1A-4380-BC27-0DCA2E996E01.jpeg

D46DA447-8F31-4010-8B37-F878D68BD39B.jpeg

my wife does industrial sewing. they use those to trim threads.....very quickly- held in the palm of your hand

DSCI1444.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

Todd,I believe the stretcher is for carpet based on the spikes in the board. The hook end looks like it is pounded into the wood subfloor. 
The scissors are used as mentioned to trim all types of thread. My wife uses them for quilting, cross stitch and sewing. 

Inwas just about to say carpet stretcher. 
my mom has som fiskars scissors that sort of resemble those, so I agree for thread and ribbon and stuff. 
i feel like old time sheep shearing scissors were of similar design but bigger 

11 minutes ago, nate said:

Just a guess but looks like it’s to crimp the little slug on cable

I thought that also, the little double barreled ferrule for wire cables maybe?  I bought it thinking it was a threader for putting threads on round rod but it is not. Has cross hatch inside he single round side. 

7 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Say anything on it? 

Negative..... sadly

18 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I know they are scissors but I’ve never seen any like them. Spring loaded opening. Did they have a specific purpose?

F7D60EAE-AA1A-4380-BC27-0DCA2E996E01.jpeg

D46DA447-8F31-4010-8B37-F878D68BD39B.jpeg

Thread cutting  scissors.  Uses off hand and frees up the working hand.  commonly used at a sewing machine to cut threads off at the needle also used by fishing fly makers. Our sewing cabinet has one of these cutters.

Best command brand is GINGHER.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you call this? I believe the stamp says D. Taft and sons. Came from what had been the local IH dealer and was a feed and farm supplier going back into the 1800’s 

i found this about D.Taft, for whom Taftsville is named after, it is about 40 miles from me. 
https://www.woodstockhistorycenter.org/articles/2019/11/25/thetaftindustries

12189ED2-D87D-407A-ACEB-1DF2FEBCD1A2.jpeg

B5F7C6BB-C443-43B3-BFA2-1849AE35195B.jpeg

5ADC4E59-CCC4-4DAC-AF7E-3C7D1E0A9179.jpeg

54EBA2AF-D21E-4E13-BF7C-AB1E50FD68D2.jpeg

35CFE791-648B-4D28-BC9C-AA120F5E0356.jpeg

• Like 1