5X88 series tractors

bitty

I'm wondering how tall of rear tires fit on these tractors ? I'm sure 18.4-42/20.8-38 was standard but has anyone squeezed 20.8-42/18.4-46 or even 20.8-46/18.4-50 on them and still cleared fenders and steps ?

2 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

The farm I worked at had a 2+2 with 14.4x46 tires on it, they had plenty of room

14.9-46 is similar to 18-42 if I remember correctly 

18.4s would stand a little taller obviously, you would certainly hate to find out after you bought and mounted the tires that they didn't work.

The issue we had was with the step up rims, they would keep cracking. 

5 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Yup.  Same RCI group.  Along with 20.8 - 38.

Yes. I think they do that so that it's easier to get compatible tires front and back to be correct ratio for MFD axles 

6 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

You could buy more hockey pucks, linkages might be an issue.

I lifted our 7250 1/2" to go for 18.4-46 to get enough clearance for a set of new takeoff 20.8-46 . Without the lift the lugs rubbed the rear light bolts on uneven ground 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, acem said:

A few came with 32" rims. 

Good call.......I wasn't very clear......intended to say nothing over 38" in anything I found......was 42" rubber even available in 1985?

My Super 70 Series literature lists 20.8x38 as only available rubber.

@bitty I have a tractor with 20.8-42s if you want a real life measurement of that tire size.  I do know there is quite a jump in radius from 18.4 to 20.8 on a 42 “ rim.

For what it’s worth, I rather call tires by the newer numbers, e.g. 520/85R42 not because I like metric but because there is more information about the tire size in that designation.

4 minutes ago, acem said:

Also consider there is significant differences in height and width of the same size tire from different manufacturers.

I have an import 18.4x38 that is the same height as a Goodyear 18.4x34...

This is indeed the case.  If only the standards were standardized.  One of my tractors has 520/85R42 rubber on the rear.  For a while one was a fairly new BKT and the other a half worn Goodyear.  The Goodyear was noticeably shorter, and, strangely, when it got replaced with another BKT this summer, my road speed showed to be a mph or 2 higher.