2003 dodge ram 1500

augercreek

In the radiator area there are four coolers, the big one for engine cooling, next the transmission oil cooler, then in front of that is a small one that does what? On the driver's side is the AC condenser. which has an electric fan on it. If the AC is not being used should this fan be running? It seems to be running all the time.

1 hour ago, augercreek said:

In the radiator area there are four coolers, the big one for engine cooling, next the transmission oil cooler, then in front of that is a small one that does what? On the driver's side is the AC condenser. which has an electric fan on it. If the AC is not being used should this fan be running? It seems to be running all the time.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess power steering fluid cooler.  Only other option would be an engine oil cooler.  

With respect to your other question, if its an AC condenser, then there would be no need for it to be running all the time especially when you don't have your AC on.  Should be thermostatically controlled just like the other fans.

• Thanks 1

I have a 2003 1500 with the 5.7 engine.  It has the condenser cooler on  the drivers side.  the electric fan does NOT run all the time on mine.  Mine has the transmission cooler o the top in front of the radiator and a smaller power steering cooler below that.  The PS cooler lines run below the radiator back to the PS pump on the drivers side.  You can see them below the fan in the bottom picture.  I guess it is time I gave them  a good cleaning!

IMG_20221111_111327639_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221111_111332926_HDR.jpg

You can see the PS lines IMG_20221111_111345710_HDR.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I have a 2003 1500 with the 5.7 engine.  It has the condenser cooler on  the drivers side.  the electric fan does NOT run all the time on mine.  Mine has the transmission cooler o the top in front of the radiator and a smaller power steering cooler below that.  The PS cooler lines run below the radiator back to the PS pump on the drivers side.  You can see them below the fan in the bottom picture.  I guess it is time I gave them  a good cleaning!

IMG_20221111_111327639_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221111_111332926_HDR.jpg

You can see the PS lines IMG_20221111_111345710_HDR.jpg

How is that motor for power?  I might be looking at a 03 2500 with the same motor and a 5 speed manual trans. I've only ever had a 5.9 gas from Dodge.

It is a 5.9 gas engine. A lot more power than what I am used to with the GMC 4.3 I had! Got to be careful on the pedal!!!! It had a coolant leak that looked like it was the water pump, so I changed that out, put a new one on and there was still a leak! Yipes, it was the heater hose tube O ring. A new O ring didn't help a bit as the tube was so rusted and pitted that little skinny O ring couldn't seal it. New tubes are available, but I can't wait a week to get one as this is the only vehicle we have. So, I mixed up some epoxy and stuck it back on, hope that will hold. Now the transmission oil cooler is starting to leak so I ordered a new one with the tool to release the tubes from the hoses. What else can go wrong! 

The 5.7 has plenty of power.  It's been a good engine.  It has the automatic transmission and four-wheel drive. I've got 248,000 on it. It burns a little oil, but other than that it runs pretty well.  No major engine work to it, just the usual worn out peripherals. I will probably have to go through the front end again soon. I have replaced the ball joints and one of the front axle shafts. Unfortunately the boots on both axle shafts and going again so I'll need to replace both.  These engines are known to get a lifter tick, called the "Hemi tick".  Mine has it, but I haven't seen any problem from it yet. I get about 15 miles to the gallon light locally on relatively flat ground.  The mileage drops pretty good when you put a trailer behind it though.