My favorite rows of corn

Missouri Mule

Always feels good to see these rows of corn but then a day or 2 go by and I wish a had some more. Finished mine all up monday afternoon. Gerty the bigfoot gleaner did me a very good job on corn and beans. I know its small compared to most of y'alls but gets me through. 

20221107_153835.jpg

20221107_154616.jpg

• Like 19

I know the feeling. We usually finish ahead of the curve around here and after a week or two you kind of get the itch to be back out there going again when you see everyone else still going. Course that only applies on a dry year lol. I didn’t envy anyone on the years that they got snowed under the first of Oct. (been there too)

We had a gleaner M for many years till dad plain ol wore it out. Was the first combine I got to ride in. Don’t remember a lot about it but remember when it left the yard. Ended up going to a wrecker. Several years later we were down there looking for parts and drove around the yard till we found it again just for the heck of it. Best part left of it was the engine and transmission. Nearly everything else dad had welded or cobbled together to make run. Probably the reason today that I try to stay on top of maintenance so things don’t end up like that again lol.  Dad wasn’t always the best at fixing things and if it worked last year in theory it should work this year lol.  I was to young to know the differences between the models then. F, L M then the 2 series.  I know there was gas and diesel options but that was about as far as my knowledge went.  Was a gleaner M went through a auction here about 7 years ago. It had a 350 gas in it if I’m not mistaken. Dad was awful tempted to bid, kind of glad he didn’t as I’m sure it needed a bunch of work too. Would’ve been kind of neat for old times sake but how many projects does a guy need lol. 

• Haha 1

Thanks. I've never been around much other than massey and gleaners. Never ran a red or green one. I just love how darn simple they are. You can buy most bearings at parts store. Very common. Other wearable items are still readily available from agco and salvage yards are easy to come by. I did have to pull the transmission housing mid season. I had a keyway back out on input shaft to the clutch. But honestly it took me about 3 hours to disassemble and about the same to put it back. Not a big deal. I got lucky on this machine. The man I bought it from just spent a fortune on belts, hoses, bearings, and idler pulleys. Even has new a/c hoses and compressor. He really fixed it up nice. The heads are in as nice of shape as you'll find. I wanted an m2 or L2 kind of but this F2 will be just fine for me. 

• Like 1

One of Dad's friends had a G, back in the seventies.  He got along well with it, IIRC.

It would walk the dog with a four row corn head.  I ran it just a little.  I remember that the header and variable speed were on the same lever - forward and back for speed, up and down for header.

We called em, "Silver Seeders" around here.

They are a great combine and have got the job done for years.

I know of one guy that still runs them.

Unsure if you can get new ones, or where he gets parts?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I believe the term “Silver Seeder” was part of a John Deere ad campaign. New Gleaner combines are still available, there is one new one in my area. I’m not sure of the model. The closest dealer is a little over an hour away. 

1 hour ago, Diesel Doctor said:

100 year anniversary edition 

96305FAA-16AE-418A-B8F8-BBF39BED5D4A.jpeg

• Like 1

Found my last….3🤦🏻‍♂️At 3 am this morning. Calling for 2-3” of rain today with snow behind it. Glad to be done. 

1CDA4903-1AC7-48F4-8E6D-5FC5557968DE.jpeg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

know the feeling. We usually finish ahead of the curve around here and after a week or two you kind of get the itch to be back out there going again when you see everyone else still going.

We finished last Friday afternoon. Felt good to be done.

Then Wednesday morning I was starting to wash the combine down when the neighbor across the road pulled in. His combine had crapped the bed and it is going to take time to fix, elevators a filling up and there is a lot of corn to be ran yet. Talking the possibility of snow tomorrow. He had 15 acres left and wanted to know if we would run it for him. So the head went back on and we ran it. 

• Like 1

I grew around Gleaners.  My Dad had an F gas, then moved on to an M2 Diesel, and his last Gleaner was an R60.  We had a good AC dealer within 10 miles.  As he got older he wasn't spending money to update the shop and keep up with technology.  That is what drove my Dad and brother to get a CIH combine.  That dealer has since changed hands and is improving.  There is another good AGCO dealer who sells some Gleaners 25-30 miles to the east.

51 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

We finished last Friday afternoon. Felt good to be done.

Then Wednesday morning I was starting to wash the combine down when the neighbor across the road pulled in. His combine had crapped the bed and it is going to take time to fix, elevators a filling up and there is a lot of corn to be ran yet. Talking the possibility of snow tomorrow. He had 15 acres left and wanted to know if we would run it for him. So the head went back on and we ran it. 

Yea, I am not cleaning up the combine for a week or so in case anyone calls. 

11 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

AKA rolling grain bins.