Jump to content

Campaign signs


vtfireman85
 Share

Recommended Posts

Who is responsible for picking them up? They get handed out willy nilly all over the place and then they just seem to stay there unless they are on someone’s private property. Isn’t this littering? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Who is responsible for picking them up? They get handed out willy nilly all over the place and then they just seem to stay there unless they are on someone’s private property. Isn’t this littering? 

Most states.... let me rephrase since I haven't lived on the east coast... Some states have a law stating that election signs must be removed within x number of days after an election.  I want to says its either 14 or 21 days in MN.  The property owner is responsible for removing them, but its not enforced.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

I wish they had a deposit like bottles, they are an eyesore 

They make excellent targets, I have a stack to take when i am shooting 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Who is responsible for picking them up? They get handed out willy nilly all over the place and then they just seem to stay there unless they are on someone’s private property. Isn’t this littering? 

One things for sure,  Those signs really motivate me on who i should vote for...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mudfly said:

Most states.... let me rephrase since I haven't lived on the east coast... Some states have a law stating that election signs must be removed within x number of days after an election.  I want to says its either 14 or 21 days in MN.  The property owner is responsible for removing them, but its not enforced.

I believe it’s 14 days here in ny. I think whoever put them up is responsible for removal but not sure how that’s enforced if candidate puts it up on one yard and neighbor puts it up on his own. It could be a he said/she said situation. 
Back in 08? One democratic candidates signs on the other side of the state stayed up long after she lost the primary. Fines were given out and they came down in a hurry! 
A few years ago I was asked by an old high school classmate if he could put up signs for town supervisor. I said sure. Ended up with four, his, highway superintendent, and two council men. I was proud to see it when I realized it was the farmer line. I went to school with all of them and we all grew up on farms. The morning after election the highway superintendent’s father was pulling them down by 9 am. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There were almost NO campaign signs for any candidate around here.

However, according to the Abilene, TX "newspaper" (and I use that term jokingly), one gubernatorial candidate was passing out coloring books and crayons, at his campaign event, which MAY have some collector value at some future date.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Most states.... let me rephrase since I haven't lived on the east coast... Some states have a law stating that election signs must be removed within x number of days after an election.  I want to says its either 14 or 21 days in MN.  The property owner is responsible for removing them, but its not enforced.

Yup, there are laws but they're not enforced unless someone makes a big enough stink. Like a lot of laws that's why they exist.

Most of the ones that get left up are on "public property" such as along expressway exits and other public rights of way. 

There are still campaign signs up from 2 years ago, if you get my drift. Nobody has a problem with those...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Binderoid said:

Are we allowed to say trump here

I think we have to be playing Sheepshead first?

Mike

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

we relocated a bunch to a guys house who was mortified of heights and didn’t want to get on his roof a couple octobers ago…..

must’ve been a hundred people stop in and ask how much he lived our current leadership….. 

he doesn’t lol

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2022 at 11:05 AM, cjf711 said:

One things for sure,  Those signs really motivate me on who i should vote for...

I always say the same thing... What's the point?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2022 at 11:05 AM, cjf711 said:

One things for sure,  Those signs really motivate me on who i should vote for...

 

1 minute ago, KWRB said:

I always say the same thing... What's the point?

Me too, I voted for Century 21😉

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it is on private property I struggle to see how the government can/should enact a law telling you when to take it down.  How is an election sign different than a seed sign that a dealer puts up and then neither him nor the farmer bother to take it down?  Don't get me wrong, seeing old political signs or old faded seed signs drive me nuts.  But I struggle to see why the government should concern themselves with a law regulating it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IH Forever said:

If it is on private property I struggle to see how the government can/should enact a law telling you when to take it down.  How is an election sign different than a seed sign that a dealer puts up and then neither him nor the farmer bother to take it down?  Don't get me wrong, seeing old political signs or old faded seed signs drive me nuts.  But I struggle to see why the government should concern themselves with a law regulating it.

My question was based on the signs i see on highway right of way or other public property. People who put them up never seem to take them down. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...