Satellite Phone

vtfireman85

Anyone have one? What is the fee structure like? I don’t really need one right now but I spend a lot of time out of cell reception and want to be reached by certain people if need be. 

1 hour ago, Takn4aFool said:

When I was in Niger, Halliburton gave me one to use, so use it I did, as I was having my house built at that time, and I would call the builder to see how things were coming along, and it got, so i was told, up into the 5-figure range.

And prior to that, when I was in Japan, the MarineSat was even more expensive.

• Sad 1

I have a friend that keeps one with him for snowmobiling. He rides alone a lot like me in remote areas. It can be hit and miss with coverage too. Being you’re a lot further south that might change the reception though. Was looking into a new iPhone today and the iPhone 14 has a built in 911 feature that I thought was pretty handy. Gives you the option to send out a preset text via satellite. It’s free for the first 2 years as well. It’s to bad I won’t be upgrading for at least another year yet as my phone is only 2 years old now. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mudfly said:

Just a thought but does Star Link have an option?  Or could you get their mobile  satellite internet on your truck and use a VOIP phone.  I thought star link was $75 a month or there abouts.

A quick google search yielded this.

https://techcrunch.com/2022/08/25/t-mobile-phones-will-connect-to-starlink-for-free-starting-next-year/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

That would be very welcome to me if I could get that service through my provider. Even just 2 way texting would be enough for me in remote areas just to check in.  I don’t necessarily have to check in on red power and YouTube while I’m in the middle of no where on my snowmobile but emergency contact would be nice. I’m not getting any younger lol. 

• Thanks 1

The ones we’ve had were $800 for a used phone, $25 a year for activation, and over a dollar a minute for prepaid time (and the minutes don’t last forever, and they have a minimum purchase), and when you went over that time cost goes up.

calls between sat phones are higher

they have other plans but that’s the one the guys use for being in the back woods

the Spot and other units are cheaper

• Thanks 1