IH340 fluid under clutch cover

BuckRun

28 minutes ago, BuckRun said:

I removed the clutch cover exposing the direction reverser. I had drained the hydraulic fluid from the tractor, but as you can see in the pic the old fluid is still there. Why didn't this drain? How do I change this fluid. What should be in there? Thx

IH340.jpg

There is a hole in the bottom plugged with dirt and grease. That compartment should be dry.

A 340 with a reverser and not a TA.?? Have never seen one. Can't answer your question but I would think that is a dry housing as snoshoe  said. TA equipped tractors, that is a dry housing, but not sure with a reverser. Does it have a separate fill hole for that section of the transmission?

On 11/8/2022 at 3:38 PM, mrfred54 said:

340 with a reverser and not a TA

I have one as well, a 59. IH called it a "fast reverser" in their literature. 504 utilities also had the option. 

If I don't forget I'll look at mine tomorrow and see if it should be dry or wet, and report back.

Mac

7 hours ago, MacAR said:

I have one as well, a 59. IH called it a "fast reverser" in their literature. 504 utilities also had the option. 

If I don't forget I'll look at mine tomorrow and see if it should be dry or wet, and report back.

Mac

Mine is also a '59. Do you have a 12 or 17gpm hydraulic pump? I have a 17gpm pump and am having trouble finding a filter set up that doesn't cause cavitation. I have a backhoe/loader attachment on it. I guess that's why the bigger pump. I bought it this year and am overhauling the hydraulic system on it. I appreciate you letting me know about the reverser being wet or dry. Thx

Ok, so I did a bit of looking today. My reverser has oil in it, much like yours. I satisfied it isn't supposed to be there, but it's not hurting anything best I can tell. 

My 340 has the 12gpm pump. It's a red and white gas utility, and is marked with a "W" on the tag to indicate the reverser option. Yours should be marked with a "Z" indicating the 17gpm pump, as well as a W. If not so marked  your pump may have been added afterwards and that could be the cause of your cavitation problem. 

Share some pictures of yours please, I like 340s, especially the utilities. They're not exactly common. Here is a shot of mine:

20220820_104621.thumb.jpg.eb9066ad34ac0f755c94a9c627a7fa0f.jpg

Mac

Thx for letting me know. I will post pictures soon. It's nowhere as nice looking as yours. It's a combo of county yellow, red, gray, green and various colors of  being exposed to the elements but that's what makes her special. I bought it earlier this year. There's no tag. I dated it by the casting numbers. The previous owner did not properly care for it so I had my work cut out for me. I enjoy it. It's gasoline with an Anderson loader and Wain-Roy backhoe attachment. I see your PTO lever. The brackets that hold the axle to the frame are on a 45 degree on this tractor covering a mounting hole for that lever. Mine did not come with a PTO on it. I bought a used one that was on a 460 rowcrop where the handle is on the PTO. Hopefully that will work out. 

• 4 weeks later...

I discovered a drain plug that was hiding under gunk. It's located on the bottom of the trans under where the hydraulic oil filter is. There's actually a thru hole to the compartment where this fluid build up was under the clutch cover. When I removed the plug sediment build up was blocking the drain. I ran a 1/2" drill through it and it drained. You can see the contaminated fluid dripping out. Now I have to figure how to clean out the compartment. Any ideas? Maybe a thin oil and try and agitate it. There is no hole between the adjacent compartment. Not sure how I can drill that hole.

drain plug for fast reverser compartment.jpg

my 340 dont have reverser OR ta, so no help here! lol!