Not quite postal yet

756puller

Work in a case IH shop as a tech for 16 years now. Got a coworker that's been here 8 years now. This coworker claims to be head combine guy. When harvest rolls around he's here for.the first two weeks than takes off for 6 to 8 weeks to harvest his own 500 acres. It really gets.my goat cause he doesn't give a crap about his job. If he can be gone he sure as **** will. Hes usually gone for a month in the spring for planting as well. It's been a hard year with just two of us in the shop this harvest. We do have two new guys coming in the next week  and in the spring after college which will help out a lot. But I'm still ticked off for my coworkers lack of responsibility and always have a desire to go screw off than do his job. What should the manager do about him?

Obviously, the manager does not have a problem as this has gone on and the person in question still has a job.  I've worked for others long enough to know that logic gets put to the side for the strangest of reasons.  Friendships and shared values unfortunately can top business even though it tears a workplace apart.  I worked for a place that had such nonsense going on including a guy who was responsible for shop work on the small tractor line they were selling and his "personal time" including naps came first.  I got chewed out pretty good checking up on him because a customer called wanting to know when his tractor would be ready.  When he did catch a little heat he would quit and go to work elsewhere.  Then when he wore out his welcome he could go back to the first shop.  Of course with such nonsense going on a business is not long lived so he wound up having to go straight because his choices ran out.  I'm still laughing about that jackwagon getting what had been long overdue.  Unless you are the manager there is not much you can do.  Oh, I should mention my first job out of college where a co-worker could not get fired for screwing up quotes on home improevment jobs because he was 6'3" and our boss lived a fantasy where they were both college football players who had many interesting adventures at the football player residence off campus.  My boss treated the middle aged 5'7" guy like crud who knew home improvement.  Don't look for logic where there is not any.

This is obviously a dealership like I have never seen before. I don’t know of anyone around here who could support their base with one or two guys in the shop. It sounds to me like he should be able to cover those acres if he only worked on Sunday afternoon if he’s serious about it. Why would he need a month or more off for that? It sounds like he just doesn’t want to do the hard work and shame on the management for allowing it. No dealer techs should be taking large amounts of time off in the two busiest times of the year. I have had employees try to use working for me to subsidize their own farm. It doesn’t work because they want to leave when I need them the most. 

1 minute ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

This is obviously a dealership like I have never seen before. I don’t know of anyone around here who could support their base with one or two guys in the shop. It sounds to me like he should be able to cover those acres if he only worked on Sunday afternoon if he’s serious about it. Why would he need a month or more off for that? It sounds like he just doesn’t want to do the hard work and shame on the management for allowing it. No dealer techs should be taking large amounts of time off in the two busiest times of the year. I have had employees try to use working for me to subsidize their own farm. It doesn’t work because they want to leave when I need them the most. 

Depends on what he has for equipment and breakdown time.  But the dealership is obviously comfortable with it so it is up to the OP as to live with it or move on.  Unfortunately.  

Forgot about a later job where a warehouse co-worker could not get fired even though he seldom did the work in his job description.  Ill tempered to boot.  His father and my boss were church buddies so unless the boss get canned the co-worker was not getting fired.  Everybody else was stuck doing his work beyond driving the forklift long enough to get something off of a freight truck.  He of course had time to smooch the married cashiers.  

I'm gonna mention about this being crap with the manager and see what happens with it. The manager sure as heck doesn't want to loose any of us in the shop since you can't get anybody hired. The last manager we had really cooked things up around here that's for sure.

8 minutes ago, 756puller said:

I'm gonna mention about this being crap with the manager and see what happens with it. The manager sure as heck doesn't want to loose any of us in the shop since you can't get anybody hired. The last manager we had really cooked things up around here that's for sure.

I suppose that you are at the end of the road with this and I understand.  Just don't assume the cards are going to fall your way.  Would not be the first time a manager did something that appears to be illogical.  Not some kind of non-work connection between the two is there?

1 hour ago, 756puller said:

Work in a case IH shop as a tech for 16 years now. Got a coworker that's been here 8 years now. This coworker claims to be head combine guy. When harvest rolls around he's here for.the first two weeks than takes off for 6 to 8 weeks to harvest his own 500 acres. It really gets.my goat cause he doesn't give a crap about his job. If he can be gone he sure as **** will. Hes usually gone for a month in the spring for planting as well. It's been a hard year with just two of us in the shop this harvest. We do have two new guys coming in the next week  and in the spring after college which will help out a lot. But I'm still ticked off for my coworkers lack of responsibility and always have a desire to go screw off than do his job. What should the manager do about him?

If he has the vacation or ability to take off and the company lets him take it then this is a company policy issue.   Whats keeping you from taking off as well?   It sounds like the company KNOWS you will be in the shop so they are using that knowledge as leverage on you.   Im 100% sure they know who is and isnt pulling their weight by the billable hours in the system,  the fact the 2 new young guys are coming in may be their answer to the problem that you are having.  

• Like 2

He goes unpaid after his vacation runs out. I'm just to old school to up and leave when I'm needed. Usually if it's a paying job I'm there. We have been short of help for a few years and now the owners have decided that they need to step up the pay scale to get anyone. What's the real kicker for not gettimg help is no overtime pay.

I don’t consider myself old, but the older I get the less patience for this nonsense I have. It’s the reason I don’t really do any custom farm work anymore, I can’t take the people. You said yourself you can’t hire anyone, I’d let them know you aren’t happy. I guess if there isn’t much work and they don’t lean on you to cover for this guy, then it’s not as big of a deal. If they let him leave and expect you to make up the difference I would have already left. I had to tell a truck driver the end of last week if he doesn’t want to do what I need then he can go waste someone else’s time. Nobody leaves during harvest here. If I’m here, everybody that works here better be too. 

27 minutes ago, 756puller said:

He goes unpaid after his vacation runs out. I'm just to old school to up and leave when I'm needed. Usually if it's a paying job I'm there. We have been short of help for a few years and now the owners have decided that they need to step up the pay scale to get anyone. What's the real kicker for not gettimg help is no overtime pay.

First off your work ethic is commendable.  But as already said if management is ok with it your options are limited.

You say a couple new guys are coming in and hopefully that helps your work load. It may also lessen your clout as far as their being afraid you might leave.

Yes it will loosen the clout that I have but I'll still get tired of hearing how busy he is when all he does on weekends is drink and don't get anything done farmwise. That's why we had one guy quite back the end of June he got tired of listening to the idiot coworker.

15 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I don’t consider myself old, but the older I get the less patience for this nonsense I have. It’s the reason I don’t really do any custom farm work anymore, I can’t take the people. You said yourself you can’t hire anyone, I’d let them know you aren’t happy. I guess if there isn’t much work and they don’t lean on you to cover for this guy, then it’s not as big of a deal. If they let him leave and expect you to make up the difference I would have already left. I had to tell a truck driver the end of last week if he doesn’t want to do what I need then he can go waste someone else’s time. Nobody leaves during harvest here. If I’m here, everybody that works here better be too. 

I get what your saying but a lot of folks don't think that way anymore. You have 100% investment as it's your livelihood.  Some working for wages don't get that or care. 

Neighbor has another neighbors son working for him during harvest. Told someone he could make more money else where but he is fed very well and after a certain number of hours they send him home to get some rest as well as not be a stranger to his family. Also rarely turn a wheel on Sunday and if they do it's just the owners family and help is to stay home with their family.  Lot of different ways to handle things.

2 minutes ago, 756puller said:

Yes it will loosen the clout that I have but I'll still get tired of hearing how busy he is when all he does on weekends is drink and don't get anything done farmwise. That's why we had one guy quite back the end of June he got tired of listening to the idiot coworker.

Well that sucks. I'm sorry.

Remember, those who rock the boat are usually tossed overboard.

If you see what’s going on, rest assured the manager and upper personnel do as well. They quite possibly have an arrangement in place when they hired him. 
Your job is to do the work you were hired for. Period. It isn’t fun when you’re busting your butt and still falling behind because of another employee. But, that isn’t your concern. Your concern needs to be with the quality of your work. 
Not the answer you want, but it is what it is. You didn’t hire the other person, they did. Don’t kick yourself in the butt stressing over something you can’t control. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You need to forget about him, it’s just eating your guts out over something you can’t control anyway. Put in your 8 hours or whatever and go home and leave that Shiite in the shop. Nobody else cares, why make it your problem? Next time a customer asks about something, say it’s joe’s project and joes not here. If you’re getting reprimanded for trying to track down information to help a customer, doesn’t sound to me like the situation is going to change to your liking any time soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 756puller said:

As I tell my kids… watch your own bobber.   Do your job and who care what he gets done/when he’s there.   Why do you not get overtime pay?

20 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Remember, those who rock the boat are usually tossed overboard.

I have been through this situation several time over the past 30 years.  Boss usually knows its wrong but doesnt know what to do about it or just doesnt want to do anything for various reasons.  And if you complain, then you are made out to be the problem.   We used to joke that we were indeed the problem because we were the ones who had the conscience.  That dang conscience gets you every time!  I used to get real ticked off and it would affect me at work and sometimes home.  But I am very good now at putting on the blinders and just doing my thing.  You have to keep telling yourself that its out of your control and not worth the stress.  It takes some practice.

• Like 2

If he is the dealership's self proclaimed "combine guy", how do they explain to the customer, whose machine is down, that their 'expert' is off for 6-8 WEEKS at the busiest time of year.

I know if I were the man with the machine out of service, I WOULD NOT be very understanding.

The dealer needs to put him on ONLY during the off-season, when he can then be available FULL-time.

51 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I get what your saying but a lot of folks don't think that way anymore. You have 100% investment as it's your livelihood.  Some working for wages don't get that or care. 

Neighbor has another neighbors son working for him during harvest. Told someone he could make more money else where but he is fed very well and after a certain number of hours they send him home to get some rest as well as not be a stranger to his family. Also rarely turn a wheel on Sunday and if they do it's just the owners family and help is to stay home with their family.  Lot of different ways to handle things.

I get that. If the guy draws a paycheck here when it’s slow, he’s not leaving to do something else when it’s busy. There’s no exceptions here. If that doesn’t work, then it doesn’t work. 

Your story reminds me a lot of working with my old boss. No overtime......hire people with a pulse(the brain was optional). The last few years working for him were what I used to call "Drive-by management", in reference to Rush Limbaugh's comment about the "Drive-By media"....meaning they just didn't put a lot of effort into their job. Equipment was getting bigger, but our equipment for working on it wasn't getting bigger/better. Guys would quit going to service schools because it was less than half their normal pay to go to training to keep up with new technology. Lots of little things that add up to a giant headache at the end of the day.

One day our New Holland rep(whom I had a LOT of respect for) and I discussed this. He told me about how he saw how many dealerships were run in all of his years of being a rep. He called it the "80/20 theory"........20% of the employees do 80% of the work. Unfortunately, in talking to many people who work in dealerships and any other small business, this tends to be the rule, not the exception.

My first question is.....does your dealership ownership plan on being in business for a long time? Sounds like he/they need to step up in several areas of the business if they do. In my 30+ years of working for a dealership, there have been many changes in agriculture, and that will keep continuing to happen.