Autosteer

maxxum 140

What are everybody's opinion on aftermarket autosteer packages?  I see Wheelman unit advertised as well as FJD autosteer units.  Anyone have any experience with these?  Looking for electric steer units so it would be easier to move it from tractor to tractor.

My brother and his boy tried Wheelman on a 7140 Magnum with the thought of switching the unit between that tractor and a Claas forage harvester.  They could not get the Wheelman unit to work right in the tractor so sent it back.  I think they are running Agleader now.

I’ve been happy with our outback set up. It’s nice to have the hydraulic valve body vs the electric steering motor. I haven’t ran a Trimble set up before though so can’t actually compare the two honestly.  Just what I’ve observed and my thoughts on it is all.  Outback has always been pretty competitive price wise. 

How about customer service with any of these devices, or do they give many issues?  Do I need to pay for subscriptions or if not how accurate will these units be?  Would like it for planting picked up some ground will lots of hills and oddball shaped fields.

Outback has quit supporting the older units now. When they were somewhat still new they were good for support though. Shipped one of our s3 units to the states for a screen replacement and they did something else to it as well while it was there. Round trip with the parts was only 600$ Cdn. I’m not sure how Trimble is with support. I would think it comes down to your dealer. Cnh is a dealer for them so there’s a decent support network there as well. 

10 hours ago, maxxum 140 said:

How about customer service with any of these devices, or do they give many issues?  Do I need to pay for subscriptions or if not how accurate will these units be?  Would like it for planting picked up some ground will lots of hills and oddball shaped fields.

The Trimble stuff is serviced by CNH.  It’s all very common.  You can find a video on you tube to walk you thru about anything.  Most of the stuff you will routinely change is super easy.  I have a few of these and never had a tech work on one.  No component failures yet.  I have moved units from tractor to tractor without any assistance.  Not familiar with any of the types other guys have mentioned.

This summer we replaced the Outback system in our Versatile 550 with an AgLeader "Incommandd 800", what a big step up. Never could get the Outback to hold a straight line thru the field, tractor wobbled like a drunken snake & when least expected would lose the A/B line while going thru the field. Still getting use to the 800 but seems fairly user friendly. Our planter tractors, Magnum 275 & 315, as well as our combine has Pro 700s with RTK . I don't run those as much but the 700 seems harder to use. Sprayer has a Vipor 4+, which I spend the most time in. Sprayer originally had a Vipor Pro which went bad a couple years ago. The VP was very difficult or me to figure out, took most of one spraying system to learn. I was worried about the Vipor 4+ but after about an hour I had it figured out., We have a CIH 9330 we bought last summer to put on the grain cart & some light tragedy hat currently doesn't have autosteer that I'd like to find a used EZ Steer & 750 to put in it. Had that system in a MX 255 several years ago & liked. Thought about putting a Wheelman unit in it but have read to many negative reports on them

As for used trimbles, last I was told is the 500 is the only one not supported anymore although I'm sure there are other places that will repair them. They still sell the 250, not sure on the 750. I haven't really looked at new units for a couple years now so not sure what all has changed.