Digital Dash on 88 Series - Not working

Mountain Heritage

Worked up some new land I was able to pick up on Saturday, was really nice to do fall tillage in November with temps over 20*C - don't get that much around here!  Sadly, it did involve some frustrations.  Noticed after I got out to remove discs from transport lock when I got back into tractor the digital RPM read out of the dash wasn't lit up.  Everything else in the tractor seemed to work, lights, radio, gauges on the right (fuel, temps, amps)?  Checked the fuses, they were all good.  I removed a couple to check as the shadows I couldn't see the wires if broken.  Replaced them where I found them and then I heard the hour meter clicking, it was counting as it should.  The dash was lit up again - great!  Jumped back into seat to start discing, it went out again.  😡

I couldn't get it to light up again.  Is there a ground somewhere behind the digital block that I'm missing, or an additional fuse?  

I recently replaced the two fuse blocks (as my original ones melted and took out my lights) and all 4 flasher units on the top of cab with LED's - but everything had been working just fine.  I checked all the wires I installed on the new fuse blocks - they are good too?

Scared I'm going to be chasing a Gremlin here soon!???

Suggestions?

Mike Links would have some ideas 

18 minutes ago, bitty said:

Mike Links would have some ideas 

Yeah, hopefully he's around and able to make some suggestions.  I know he is a busy man.

Don't have the memory I should have any more. The feed wire is light blue from key switch to junction block then changes color somewhere between junction block and 5amp fuse. Light blue again to data center plug. Black wire in that plug is ground and goes to dash ground. I can pull up no picture of this in my mind. Diagram also shows black wire continuing to tractor ground at right battery ground. Think I would start with voltmeter at fuse. If voltage on both sides chase down that dash ground. THIS IS ALL WRONG DISREGARD.

Data center has two feeds from key switch. Both change colors on the way. One is violet on both ends. Other is red violet at switch and changes to red black at data center. Feed to switch is red black wire from 3 amp fuse. This is a separate feed than normal battery terminal at switch.

There are multiple red black wires. How confident are you in connections made in fuse block replacement?

Edited by snoshoe
Wrong info

When you turn the key on, do the little green lights all come on for the bulb test?  (EGT,EGT SET,MPH,RPM, PTO 540 &1000), and red low coolant).  They should all cycle on for a brief second on key up.

6 hours ago, snoshoe said:

Don't have the memory I should have any more. The feed wire is light blue from key switch to junction block then changes color somewhere between junction block and 5amp fuse. Light blue again to data center plug. Black wire in that plug is ground and goes to dash ground. I can pull up no picture of this in my mind. Diagram also shows black wire continuing to tractor ground at right battery ground. Think I would start with voltmeter at fuse. If voltage on both sides chase down that dash ground. THIS IS ALL WRONG DISREGARD.

Data center has two feeds from key switch. Both change colors on the way. One is violet on both ends. Other is red violet at switch and changes to red black at data center. Feed to switch is red black wire from 3 amp fuse. This is a separate feed than normal battery terminal at switch.

There are multiple red black wires. How confident are you in connections made in fuse block replacement?

It worked fine after I switched out the fuse blocks - I'm going to say I used it for 3 or 4 hours after I replaced the fuse blocks - no issues.

2 hours ago, Delta88 said:

Could be the key switch itself.

Could be - but hoping it isn't as I think I replaced it not long after I bought the tractor used?  I could be wrong about the replacement....but wouldn't other things be effected from the key switch?  The analog gauges all work as they should, when key switch is switched on - the fuel gauge moves, and I think the amp gauge does a little dance too?

1 hour ago, Mike56073 said:

When you turn the key on, do the little green lights all come on for the bulb test?  (EGT,EGT SET,MPH,RPM, PTO 540 &1000), and red low coolant).  They should all cycle on for a brief second on key up.

No - well, I say no - but when I tried it this morning - it worked for like 45 seconds, tractor running and it registered 800 rpm, then it crapped out (the digital dash) and everything showed black again.  The hour meter stopped ticking as well.   I shut off the tractor and tried it again, nope still black.   So that's why I'm wondering if its a ground?  Where are all the grounds that feed the dash located?  I tired googling issues like this, one guy had the issue on an 86 series I think it was that had a digital dash - he was looking at cleaning/replacing RPM sensor?  Would that effect the other lights (doubtful)?  That's why I'm thinking a ground somewhere or a short?

Up until this - knock on wood the fuse block replacement has not showed any issues?  That's what leads me to think its something else.

35 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

Interesting note. The feed and contacts through the switch are shared by the sentry. So if that is working circuit is good that far.

In reference to the 86 series. The rpm sensor is what turned data center on. Since this is still a dc1a I assume it's still true.

No Sentry he has a 3688.

• Thanks 1

Per my GSS-1504

The data center is grounded on pins 1, 11, & 14. Then 12v from fuse 3A to ignition switch, from there to pins 22-26 of data center. Check then under load and confirm they are ok. I am the worlds most color blind guy so I don't pay a lick of attention to colors, I always test from pin to pin

1 hour ago, snoshoe said:

Just note the three ground wires are joined in harness. Still can't remember where ground stud is.

On a 50 series the ground stud is above the left hand battery box on bottom side of floor, should be numerous grounds there

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

That would be tractor ground. Should be another dash ground.

There is a dash ground on the back side of the dash near the top of the tilt wheel.  I was thinking only thing grounded here was the dash lights, gauge cluster.  Anyhow it's near the top of the dash panel 

• Thanks 1

I think there are several ground wires under the floor plate below brake pedals.  They all Attach to a bracket maybe cab mount bracket on one bolt. 
I think I had a ground issue with dash before and found the issue with the 3-5 wires grounded there. Cleaned it all up good and was fine after.