Auction report, kind of, half a##ed.

DT Fan

Sale today close to home. Oliver man, had really nice stuff. Didn't take a lot of pictures but things were well taken care of.

1755 gas, $11,750. One owner machine.

770 gas wide front, $5500? One owner tractor.

770 gas NF with Oliver loader, $5500? Another one owner tractor!

550 gas, possibly stuck, $3100. I would kind of liked to have this one but with the luck I have had with stuck gas engines?????

546 Oliver 4-16 plow, $675. This thing was NICE! If it had been a 4-18 I would have been in the hunt.

Osage barge wagon, $1500. Pretty nice wagon!

Oliver barge wagon, $2150!! you don't see many of these and the price reflected that. Friend of mine was second place bidder.

wagon-1.jpg

wagon-2.jpg

wagon.jpg

• Like 3

Brought good money.  Almost bought a 1655 once with an almost new loader but the loader hydraulics seemed too slow for me.

Very nice looking barge wagon. We got an undercarriage recently at a sale and it has a scissor hoist on it. I want to clean it up and see what brand hoist it is 

Two big differences between this and the other auction we've been discussing are:

1. The tractors are from the 1960's and 1970s vs. the 1940's and 1950's. They appeal to a younger generation who are in the "buy" phase of their collections.

2. The tractors are much much less common, dare I say rarer.

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Two big differences between this and the other auction we've been discussing are:

1. The tractors are from the 1960's and 1970s vs. the 1940's and 1950's. They appeal to a younger generation who are in the "buy" phase of their collections.

2. The tractors are much much less common, dare I say rarer.

There were several factors that led to the strong prices I believe.

No. 1, this stuff was really nice, well taken care of.

No.2, pretty nice day for this time of year.

No.3, we got three inches of rain Friday, no one in the field around here.

No.4, Commodities prices are strong and yields pretty good too.

I had a great time even though I didn't buy a thing. Talked to a lot of people I don't see very often. Couple of retiree's from work I hadn't seen in years. Some local tractor pullers that routinely clean my clock. Of course the local Oliver crowd was out in force! Really didn't expect any bargains, and there weren't any.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bitty said:

Very nice looking barge wagon. We got an undercarriage recently at a sale and it has a scissor hoist on it. I want to clean it up and see what brand hoist it is 

Is this recognizable for what brand of hoist ? 

IMG_20221107_061827668.jpg

IMG_20221107_061816619.jpg

IMG_20221107_061842327.jpg

Around here it seems like most are Midwest or same brand as what ever gear, probably most commonly deere?  Not sure that logo looks quite right for midwest nor the linkage arrangement on the cyl. But who knows. I have a couple I bought years ago for $25 I need to dig them out and compare.

I've never seen or been around a barge box in person before 

All we had when I was a small kid. 2 barge boxes. Oh I forgot we had a small by today's standards feed/ grain cart but we didn't use it in the field till later years when yields increased.

Later on we had a grain truck and another with a silage box we used some. Still later a semi and trailer. 

Midwest,  All-Star, Stan-Hoist, Diamond, and McCormick hoists around central Iowa.  Probably some I have forgotten.   Red Tractor Fever collects wagons.   He would be a good reference on hoists, frames and boxes.

• Like 1

What was the "advantage" of a flare-box over a barge box?

My Dad had three, an Anthony steel barge box, a Heider, and a Dorman, all on Westendorf running gears.  His brothers had flare boxes on Electric Wheel running gears, UNTIL the early 60's, when they bought four John Deere wooden barge boxes on John Deere gears.

The barn/corn crib/overhead grain storage, had an old John Deere elevator permanently set in place.  The portable elevator was a Kelly Ryan, which even my Dad admitted was NOT that great of an elevator.Kelly Ryan Special 300 44' Grain Elevator W/Truck Hopper BigIron Auctions

His brothers had a Kewanee. (Or was it a Stan-Hoist?)

And, in a true sign of getting old, I cannot remember how he filled the one wooden grainery that was for soybeans and oats (when he raised oats), or, what he used to fill the corn crib on "The South Place", as I do not ever remember towing that Kelly-Ryan back and forth.

3 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

What was the "advantage" of a flare-box over a barge box?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought flare boxes came before barge boxes and as equipment got larger the need to haul more made a barge box a necessary? 

Barge box you have to clean out the corners when unloading. Flare box you don't usually. 

7 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought flare boxes came before barge boxes and as equipment got larger the need to haul more made a barge box a necessary? 

Barge box you have to clean out the corners when unloading. Flare box you don't usually. 

Yes the advantage to the flair box in my mind was easier clean out. Growing up Dad and Grandpa had 4 or 5 Stan Hoist flair boxes and Dad had 1 Sears barge box. With the barge box you could hold a little more but had to clean out the corners.

These we’re all on Westendorf gears. I kept 1 of the Stan Hoist flair boxes when Dad sold them. Just taking up she’d space but I hated to see them all go.