Rough Going.

Brady Boy

11 hours ago, SMDFarmboy24 said:

That's what I ended up doing this weekend. It worked well. 

20221104_162943.jpg

You have the optional side boards model for a bigger load. 

You need to take a few links out of the floor chains or you could drag the driveway too.

I pull a model 100 on tractor drives with the H so the wife can ride along.

She loves being outdoors and waving at the traffic. Especially the bikers headed to Sturgis.

I put a new floor in it for her last year. Don't that mead true love?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

A 3 generation team (dad, myself, my son) spent about 4 hours yesterday at the place across for me.  So many leaves it was unbelievable.   Stihl leaf blower and 2 riding mowers.  12 man hours later it was under control.  Many more to come.  I have half a notion to cut down some of the trees that aren't in good shape anymore.

What model leaf blower and do you like it? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, boog said:

One nice thing about living on the Prarie where the wind blows on a calm day - you don't have to rake leaves:÷))

You never have to rake your own anyway....:(

Mike

• Like 1

Doug, I've got a Stihl BG 55, bought it the first year at Fisher. 11 years now, no problems ever. About six years ago I read on the internet about using one to clean the combine, it's workload increased a bunch after that. A tank of gas will last several mowing s in town. Not unusual to burn most of a tank on one cleaning of the combine!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Doug, I've got a Stihl BG 55, bought it the first year at Fisher. 11 years now, no problems ever. About six years ago I read on the internet about using one to clean the combine, it's workload increased a bunch after that. A tank of gas will last several mowing s in town. Not unusual to burn most of a tank on one cleaning of the combine!

Thinking about something moms..Unless it's pretty light and simple she will pick up a broom or a rake.  Would be mainly for blowing off her porch and slab in front of garage. Maybe blowing leaves out of the eve trough....saw a stihl battery power for around 139 the other day but I don't know if that includes a charger or batteries.

The other thing I was wondering about was the kombi system blower. I already have a smaller end power head and trimmer attachment. I found a video today about them and the guy acted pretty happy with his. He did already have the biggest power head when he bought the blower. That would be more me using it only. Maybe I need both? 🤷‍♂️ sorry I am derailing the topic tho.

8 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

Bale them wet with a vacuum into the bale chamber . ( tine pickup doesn’t work to well. ) 

Stack them closer  to the house run heat tubes to it to heat the house if you keep wet. Break them down into the spring for mulch 

Interesting concept 

11 hours ago, New Englander said:

Scag Cougar mulches them and packs them into bin, bin dumped into loader, loaded into dump truck, well packed down and off to the transfer station where they compost them. The temps have been unseasonably warm and the grass is growing so lots mixed in that helps the compost process in my loads. One load I left in the truck overnight was warming up.

We've made three trips so far and that's a shipload of leaves. Wife was loading and leaf blowing. We've got a couple of acres on the road which is our required road frontage. Oak leaves blow from stand across the road and i just ran the bat wing finish mower repeatedly over them yesterday and ground them in. I use mulching blades on that mower, nine of them, I'm not sure if they actually work any better than high lift blades but it makes me feel like they might.

Probably one more cleanup before turkey day.

Oh, the fossil fuels used for that! I rake and burn, gives me muscles and satisfaction.

• Like 1

This was my upgrade this season. Guy at work put the sweeper in the scrap bin with no signs of the basket. I repositioned the basket hangers low and attached a fence tension bar with a couple of zip ties. 3 more zip ties to attach the tarp and I’m off to the races. All you have to do is kick them off into the compost pile. Works great in areas where you have piles, pull up, rake them on and let the tractor do the dragging!

54FC8453-6E36-40B6-84F1-AFDC90D41953.thumb.jpeg.4ac84c5bb9841fa599ab91e50d3453aa.jpeg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, cobfly said:

Oh, the fossil fuels used for that! I rake and burn, gives me muscles and satisfaction.

I'm surrounded by huge maples. If I tried to rake I'd be doing it until the snow falls and still not finished. It's several acres of pickup. Burn permits for brush but not for leaves. Too bad, I associate the smell with autumns of my youth☺️

• Like 1

We have had good luck using our DEERE 802 mulcher / bush-hog, running a 2400 engine rpm, 540 PTO  on the 464 in LL(1-2 MPH) that machine converts any vegetation into mulch at about a 90% volume reduction.   The deere 802 is a back skirt design, the only way out is as mulch out the rear bottom. SLOW but very effective on volume reduction. The operator requires a dust mask for dry material.  Some material is difficult but hardwood tree leaves are easily turned  into powder.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

I am in a pine forest so very few leaves 

One way the solve the problem is to turn the leave makers into firewood 

We just did that to the one that dumped its leaves into the pool. I limbed with the old bucket truck while my wife chipped. The running joke between us is if one of us turns up missing, check the chipper 😁.

8 minutes ago, New Englander said:

We just did that to the one that dumped its leaves into the pool. I limbed with the old bucket truck while my wife chipped. The running joke between us is if one of us turns up missing, check the chipper 😁.

Not funny to me. Had a friend go through one. A professional arborist.

• Sad 1